If I were a spine surgeon, I’d be pissed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cowboydoc

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Been following this LinkedIn activity the last few days. Interesting stuff.
#painsurgeons
#fusions

it should be noted that Zack isn’t supporting IR’s FlareHawk fiasco, in case anyone gets that idea from the OP

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone did a TLIF? Whah?

I feel sorry for the patients that get tricked into this instead of seeing a real spine surgeon

Been following this LinkedIn activity the last few days. Interesting stuff.
#painsurgeons
#fusions

it should be noted that Zack isn’t supporting IR’s FlareHawk fiasco, in case anyone gets that idea from the OP
Yes. Thanks. The link posted funny. I found it on my feed because Zack liked the post from the neurosurgeon calling out Beall.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol @ the guy in the comments who calls himself an “Image-guided surgeon”

wtf does that mean? I close my eyes and visualize myself as a surgeon?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Interventional radiologist he is. Inferiority complex he has.

Comical

Ive seen spine surgeons comment on his posts in the past, but this has been by far the most entertaining. Given the multiple spine society position statement and ruffling feathers like this, I think it’s only a matter of time before the spine surgeons get this type of stuff killed off for non-surgeons officially via insurers.

Ive seen spine surgeons comment on his posts in the past, but this has been by far the most entertaining. Given the multiple spine society position statement and ruffling feathers like this, I think it’s only a matter of time before the spine surgeons get this type of stuff killed off for non-surgeons officially via insurers.
If that happens, a lot of other people will be pissed. But, I don’t think insurers can do anything due to any willing provider laws.

1. There are bad surgeons and bad pain physicians. It’s poor form to assume surgeons are good and pain physicians are bad. There are surgeons who cut too much and pain physicians who are too eager to implement these new procedures.

2. If the surgeons claim these new procedures are a money grab then why aren’t they doing them? They could always take the courses, too. From what I’ve seen they tend to stick with what they learned in training and continue using the same company. In my experience some pain physicians are more open to try out different companies and newer procedures. Doesn’t make pain physicians better. Just noting a general observation.

3. I’m not sure why the term proceduralist is used with a derogatory slant. The large majority of pain physicians I’ve met never portray themselves as surgeons.

4. If surgeons want to claim they take care of peri-procedural complications then please manage these patient’s opioids when you say “everything looks fine on repeat imaging”.

5. At the end of the day, there are parallels with what happened with CT surgery and interventional cardiology and I believe surgeons fear this may happen to them.

6. There does need to be a better training for these procedures and collection of outcome data to make sure we are all serving the patient in the correct way.

7. Let’s keep fighting amongst each other while NPs and PAs change their speciality every year.

8. Most of these newer devices are relatively straight forward to use and almost “dummy proof”. Yes I know one can get into serious trouble. However compared to an open approach these minimally invasive approaches have less room for error. Edit: one doesn’t have to be a carpenter to understand how to put a chair and tablet together because IKEA makes it very straightforward for someone who is illiterate to understand it. The beauty is IKEA creating it that way.

9. I personally do not believe pain physicians as a group should be doing TLIFS.

10. In my opinion cavalier anybody (pain or surgeon) isn’t acting in the patients best interest. I see a good way as this: patient sees pain or surgeon, they both talk about what’s best, and patient gets what’s best. Sometimes patients aren’t surgical candidates and thus a pain procedure might be indicated. It’s complementary not adversarial.

Last edited:
Anymore you don’t even need an MD. The day will come when we see NPs doing TLIFs. Mark my words

• Dislike
1. There are bad surgeons and bad pain physicians. It’s poor form to assume surgeons are good and pain physicians are bad. There are surgeons who cut too much and pain physicians who are too eager to implement these new procedures.

2. If the surgeons claim these new procedures are a money grab then why aren’t they doing them? They could always take the courses, too. From what I’ve seen they tend to stick with what they learned in training and continue using the same company. In my experience some pain physicians are more open to try out different companies and newer procedures. Doesn’t make pain physicians better. Just noting a general observation.

3. I’m not sure why the term proceduralist is used with a derogatory slant. The large majority of pain physicians I’ve met never portray themselves as surgeons.

4. If surgeons want to claim they take care of peri-procedural complications then please manage these patient’s opioids when you say “everything looks fine on repeat imaging”.

5. At the end of the day, there are parallels with what happened with CT surgery and interventional cardiology and I believe surgeons fear this may happen to them.

6. There does need to be a better training for these procedures and collection of outcome data to make sure we are all serving the patient in the correct way.

7. Let’s keep fighting amongst each other while NPs and PAs change their speciality every year.

8. Most of these newer devices are relatively straight forward to use and almost “dummy proof”. Yes I know one can get into serious trouble. However compared to an open approach these minimally invasive approaches have less room for error. Edit: one doesn’t have to be a carpenter to understand how to put a chair and tablet together because IKEA makes it very straightforward for someone who is illiterate to understand it. The beauty is IKEA creating it that way.

9. I personally do not believe pain physicians as a group should be doing TLIFS.

10. In my opinion cavalier anybody (pain or surgeon) isn’t acting in the patients best interest. I see a good way as this: patient sees pain or surgeon, they both talk about what’s best, and patient gets what’s best. Sometimes patients aren’t surgical candidates and thus a pain procedure might be indicated. It’s complementary not adversarial.

Truer words have never been said. Bravo

Keep your ego in check. Don't get greedy with money. Stick to your scope of practice. Do what's best for the patient. Don't harm the patient. Avoid getting sued and investigated by the medical board and regulatory agencies. Sleep better at night. Nuff said.

Reactions: 2 users

CRNAs are a larger threat than NPs and PAs