If my LOR writer doesn't come through after I submit + assignments, then what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sella turcica

cerebrogenesis imperfecta
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of reapplying for residency, and one of my LOR writers has been slow to respond. The person seems interested in writing for me, but is perhaps very busy and I'm getting concerned. For the sake of this argument, let's assume the writer actually wants to write the LOR for me. I've been reading the other LOR threads but it doesn't answer my question.

I have a very simple question: Let's say I submit my ERAS application on the 15th and I have this LOR writer assigned to various programs, but the LOR writer never submits the LOR? I realize you can only submit 4 letters to each program, and that you cannot retract them once they are uploaded to the post office.

Is there a strategy to this? For instance, could I submit my application WITHOUT this writer assigned to program xyz, but then if the LOR does come through a month late, I could then assign the letter to program xyz (assuming I haven't already sent them four others)?

Conversely, let's say the LOR writer is assigned to program xyz and I submit my application. Is program xyz going to wait to process my application until LOR writer uploads the letter? Would it look bad to assign a letter that never actually comes through?

In a nutshell, I'd like to do "the right thing" without shafting myself in the process, if my LOR writer takes too long or disappears.

Ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

I have the same question you have essentially. Is our application considered incomplete if they see 3/4 letters uploaded, even if the school itself allows for 3 letters?

If you appply to my program and assign 4 letters, but only 3 letters are actually uploaded, I'll get those three letters. I won't be able to tell if there's a 4th letter that's assigned but not yet uploaded, or if you plan to only submit 3 letters. The only thing I see is completed letters that have been uploaded.

So, you can absolutely assign all 4 letters to programs. If the 4th letter is ever uploaded, then it will be sent the next time the program contacts the ERAS post office. If it's never uploaded, they will never know. If you get someone else to write you a letter (you're "5th letter", but the 4th one never got done), you'll be able to unassign the 4th and reassign the 5th (since the 4th isn't uploaded yet) -- and again, all I will see is the new letter. I won't know about the switcheroo, or the missing letter.

If you appply to my program and assign 4 letters, but only 3 letters are actually uploaded, I'll get those three letters. I won't be able to tell if there's a 4th letter that's assigned but not yet uploaded, or if you plan to only submit 3 letters. The only thing I see is completed letters that have been uploaded.

So, you can absolutely assign all 4 letters to programs. If the 4th letter is ever uploaded, then it will be sent the next time the program contacts the ERAS post office. If it's never uploaded, they will never know. If you get someone else to write you a letter (you're "5th letter", but the 4th one never got done), you'll be able to unassign the 4th and reassign the 5th (since the 4th isn't uploaded yet) -- and again, all I will see is the new letter. I won't know about the switcheroo, or the missing letter.

Thank you aPD once again - you've been helpful to me before. It's nice to know that I can actually make that selection/deselection as long as the letter hasn't been submitted by the writer. It helps to know that, because I've got certain letters I'd send out to every program but others that I'd target to the variety of programs, plus trying to juggle this mystery of whether or not this LOR writer will actually complete the task.

I'd like to bump this for a similar question. My fourth letter happens to be a non-clinical one (from a research PI with a PhD), and one of my clinical letters have not come in yet. If my third clinical letter falls through, then how would programs know that I have a different back-up clinical letter coming (as opposed to simply accepting my two clinical + 1 research letter)?

fizzle if I read your question correctly, I don't think the programs would know that you have another letter coming in (per aPD's reply above). Chances are nobody is going to turn you down in the next couple of weeks since the MSPE's aren't out yet. If they did, you don't want to be at that program anyway.

I was wondering about this same question, and pulled up this response on the ERAS "How do I change a document assignment?" link in the "programs" tab:

"Prior to applying to programs you may change document assignments. After you have applied to programs, your document selections are locked and may not be changed with the exception of your personal statement."

This seems to run counter to the information in this thread. Has anyone already applied, and is able to uncheck LORs that have already been assigned but not uploaded?