If signed contract, do I have to withdraw from nrmp?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karying14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I pre-matched and signed a contract 2 months ago. But i just realized that although i cancelled all my interviews afterwards, I didn't yet withdraw officically from NRMP. Do I have to officially withdraw from the match? I would think that as long as I don't submit a rank order list with NRMP, then there is no way that i can be matched w/ a hospital. What should I do procedurally? Or doing nothing is fine? thanks

K

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
I pre-matched and signed a contract 2 months ago. But i just realized that although i cancelled all my interviews afterwards, I didn't yet withdraw officically from NRMP. Do I have to officially withdraw from the match? I would think that as long as I don't submit a rank order list with NRMP, then there is no way that i can be matched w/ a hospital. What should I do procedurally? Or doing nothing is fine? thanks

K

Even if you don't submit a rank-order list, I think you still have to notify NRMP that you're officially withdrawing from the match.

Hi there,

K

Yes, you have to w/d from the Match. But if you don't have a copy of your contract signed by the PD/DME of your program in your hands, I would stay in the Match. If all you have, as outlined in about hojiggety million other posts is a contract signed by you then it is hardly worth using as toilet paper (it's rougher and more expensive).

If you've got a copy signed by the PD though then you need to withdraw.

If your contract doesn't specify one way or the other, not submitting an ROL is equivalent to withdrawing from the match -- either way, you don't match. Matching anywhere would violate your contract AND the match, and you could lose both spots. Better to simply withdraw from the match, which is easy to do.