If you are in school....fun things to do off-campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful_opt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be going to ICO in the fall... and as exciting it will be to meet all the other students, is there time to meet people from the city who are not part of the OD program (ie. take a pilates class off campus, etc)?
I think I'll need a break from optometry every once in a while, and Chicagoans are so friendly, I wouldn't want to be stuck on campus all day and night and miss out on what Chicago has to offer!

Any tips from those in school (ICO or other)?

Members don't see this ad.

I will be going to ICO in the fall... and as exciting it will be to meet all the other students, is there time to meet people from the city who are not part of the OD program (ie. take a pilates class off campus, etc)?
I think I'll need a break from optometry every once in a while, and Chicagoans are so friendly, I wouldn't want to be stuck on campus all day and night and miss out on what Chicago has to offer!

Any tips from those in school (ICO or other)?

If you live on campus it can be hard to get away, but otherwise there's time to make new friends from outside optometry. Just don't get too jealous then you're sitting in a coffee shop and all your friends walk by on a beautiful day with ice-cream... and you're studying, again. :rolleyes:

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
hehe....there are a million answers to that question....just not enough time :D

eyepoker....please share ;)
you're going to school in NYC .... you better be enjoying that city!!!
well, lets just start with the top 3 off-campus activities you enjoy (other than shopping, of course)!

eyepoker....please share ;)
you're going to school in NYC .... you better be enjoying that city!!!
well, lets just start with the top 3 off-campus activities you enjoy (other than shopping, of course)!

Shopping?! I <3 shopping but I'm fairly certain I'm going to be very broke during school. **sigh** And, Chicago does have some GREAT shopping.

I'm starting a fundraiser now for my friends to buy me a huge, long, puffy North Face coat as a send off gift to Chicago. PM if you would like to donate. ;)

Halloween parade, Eastern Parade, New Year's in time square (ok I admit I didn't go cuz it's too crazy)....just to name a few events.

there are also lots of places to go, uptown like Columbus circle, bronx zoo, central park...downtown like union square and NYU area, china town, taking the train across the Brooklyn bridge at night to see the scenery. Flushing in Queens, singing Karaoeke...etc

and there's like a million restaurants you can try, and they are not that expensive either :D

I know I probably left out a lot, and I just moved here last Aug...hehe, I wish I can stay here forever :p

thanks eyepoker! yay it's exciting to hear that you do have time to enjoy the city. from the interviews and student tours, they make it seem like you have no free time!

p.s. yes i will have to control my shopping habits too - being canadian and going to school in the US is already expensive enough!

Hi Hopeful!

I'm Canadian too and a 2nd year at ICO and this is a fun topic! There are lots of great things to do in Chicago when you're not studying. Some of my favourites:

-Shopping! Michigan Ave has all the high end stores but try State Street for better deals (Nordstrom Rack!).
-Free outdoor screening of classic movies on Tuesdays in Grant Park in the summer.
-Lincoln Park Zoo (free!).
-Food! Do not spend your four years in Chicago without trying as many restaurants as you can. Chicago has world class food at a huge range of prices. PM me for recommendations. ;)
-Neighborhood festivals. Little Italy, Greektown, etc all have street festivals during the summer. Great food, bands, and different cultures!
-Chinatown is super close to ICO and fun to go to for food, bubble tea, and shopping.
-Skating in Millennium park in the winter (free if you bring your own skates).
-St Patrick's day parade and the dyeing of the river.

There are obviously community classes and stuff too in the various neighborhoods and downtown that you can find if you look for them. A classmate of mine participated in a weekly improv class. :)

Hi Hopeful!

I'm Canadian too and a 2nd year at ICO and this is a fun topic! There are lots of great things to do in Chicago when you're not studying. Some of my favourites:

-Shopping! Michigan Ave has all the high end stores but try State Street for better deals (Nordstrom Rack!).
-Free outdoor screening of classic movies on Tuesdays in Grant Park in the summer.
-Lincoln Park Zoo (free!).
-Food! Do not spend your four years in Chicago without trying as many restaurants as you can. Chicago has world class food at a huge range of prices. PM me for recommendations. ;)
-Neighborhood festivals. Little Italy, Greektown, etc all have street festivals during the summer. Great food, bands, and different cultures!
-Chinatown is super close to ICO and fun to go to for food, bubble tea, and shopping.
-Skating in Millennium park in the winter (free if you bring your own skates).
-St Patrick's day parade and the dyeing of the river.

There are obviously community classes and stuff too in the various neighborhoods and downtown that you can find if you look for them. A classmate of mine participated in a weekly improv class. :)

Agreed; Chicago was a great place to go to school. There was never a shortage of diversions from studying or places to celebrate being done with a test. The only thing the area is lacking is "outdoor" activities like skiing, cycling, and camping. Oh well you can't have it all. Enjoy what Chicago has to offer while you're there.