IF you are US IMG read further...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So basically the author of this petition went to medical school in Bulgaria and couldn't get residency so he wants one to be handed to him? Unfortunately, he doesn't have a leg to stand on. He is asking for preferential treatment for himself basically when it doesn't benefit patients. Basically you get more US IMGs who couldn't get into medical school in the US and who aren't good enough to get residency coming back to practice medicine. If you want residency work for it, if you don't have the brains or work ethic to prepare a proper application then it is your own fault at the end of the day.

Its like someone who failed his drivers test in the city who paid extra to get a chance in a rural area with fewer cars failing again and now petitioning the government to be given a drivers license.

News flash, if after going to med school abroad you can't get a FM residency in rural america like the author said he would do then you probably aren't suitable to be a doctor.

There isn't much sympathy for those who screw up their 2nd chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
So basically the author of this petition went to medical school in Bulgaria and couldn't get residency so he wants one to be handed to him? Unfortunately, he doesn't have a leg to stand on. He is asking for preferential treatment for himself basically when it doesn't benefit patients. Basically you get more US IMGs who couldn't get into medical school in the US and who aren't good enough to get residency coming back to practice medicine. If you want residency work for it, if you don't have the brains or work ethic to prepare a proper application then it is your own fault at the end of the day.

Its like someone who failed his drivers test in the city who paid extra to get a chance in a rural area with cars failing again and now petitioning the government to be given a drivers license.

News flash, if after going to med school abroad you can't get a FM residency in rural america like the author said he would do then you probably aren't suitable to be a doctor.

There isn't much sympathy for those who screw up their 2nd chance.

Ouch harsh.

But yeah I'd have to be a bit harsh on this one too. I see it all as a filtration system. They're taking the best of the best of the best as far as US and non US IMGs are concerned.

-They ARE giving these jobs to US MDs---the ones that went to school in the US.

-He/she may have failed to mention that the IMGs are not really at fault for the US seniors not getting residencies. The 975 American graduates either did not qualify or most likely just were unlucky in matching a residency. I don't think that the IMGs are necessarily in absolute, direct competition for these positions.

-The numbers don't mean anything if you can't compare them to anything.

-OUTSOURCING isn't really what's happening. In my opinion it's what they're actually avoiding.

Is the petitioner applying for a competitive residency?

The new all-in policy for the NRMP may bring good news: more residency positions open

bad news? more med schools opening up. less positions open out-of-match for doctors, especially IMGs

But yeah, i see a trend of immigrant families sending their children home to the motherland to do medicine for many reasons like cheaper tuition rates ($5,000/year in some countries) and/or difficulty entering med school in the US (so so easy in the motherland). And the students may or may not be aware how hard it actually is for a US IMG to get into a residency.
---> is the petitioner one of these? I was one of these.