1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

If you could go back in time?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by rg2o3, Apr 8, 2018.

1. pseud0

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    if i could go back i'd tell myself to not even try to honors at all. Pass. immediately start with boards and beyond pathoma, FA, sketchy along with the block we're in. I'd tell myself to enjoy my hobbies more

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rg2o3

Medical Student
    Thanks for the responose! I am definitely starting anki, FA and sketchy immediately

4. Stagg737

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If I could go back, I'd tell myself to bust @$$ for the duration of first year instead of being satisfied with coasting. My stamina and study techniques were nowhere near where I needed them to be when our curriculum kicked into high gear during MS2. Also, made a pretty major mistake the day before I took Level 1 and I ended up scoring 100 points lower than I had been on practice exams. I ended up matching my #1, so it all worked out, but definitely caused me a lot more stress than was necessary.

As someone whose been through his classes more recently (at KCU), this was absolutely NOT my experience except the bolded. He doesn't really lecture at all anymore, just one "outlined" lecture that skims what's in the covered chapters along with some tips about what to focus on. He does the actual teaching during the case study/PBL-like sessions and if you actually read before those he does a pretty great job explaining how to differentiate between similar presentations. Most of my classmates absolutely hated him at the end of first year/start of second year, but most of the people I talked to later said he actually did a great job teaching (even with the ridiculous amount of independent learning that goes into Robbins). He also didn't take questions from picture captions unless he specifically addressed them in a Q&A session (although one of the other pathology profs did).

To the KCU people, if you're bad at learning from a textbook you better learn to adjust fast, as second year pathology can be very swim or sink if you don't have a plan from the start.

5. MightBeACylon439

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If I could turn back time
    If I could find a way
    I'd take back those words that hurt you
    And you'd stay
    I don't know why I did the things I did
    I don't know why I said the things I said
    Love's like a knife it can cut deep inside
    Words are like weapons, they wound sometimes
    I didn't really mean to hurt you
    I didn't want to see you go
    I know I made you cry, but baby
    If I could find a way
    I'd take back those words that hurt you
    And you'd stay
    If I could reach the stars
    I'd give 'em all to you
    Then you'd love me, love me, like you used to do

bedhead, JDogtor and rg2o3 like this.
  6. rg2o3

Medical Student
    Wow, you have a “heart of stone”

7. recycledpaper

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
  8. getfat

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I gotta ask since I've been fire cracking since mid MS1. Is it that the material isn't relevant? Or was it just hard (or low yield) to do the cards on a daily basis while doing other things?

9. rg2o3

Medical Student
  10. Meekor

Medical Student
    I just didn’t think it was the most helpful tool for reinforcing relevant material. Andyeah some of it was not the most relevant either

11. JustPlainBill

JustPlainBill Attending
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What you described is the standard, no frills, Putthoff method of instruction. When I said he would read the text, I meant that he personally would read the text 3 to 4 times prior to/while lecturing over a particular topic in preparation for his actual class presentations -- in other words, he knows that book almost verbatim. I've watched him refute an argument by quoting the book from memory -- His method of instruction really works and it turns you into a physician but you don't realize it while the transition is taking place....

12. NecrotizingFasciitis

Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Any advice on how to integrate sketchy into your study routine for MOD?

13. QueenJames

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Also... I never thought I'd say this.

I really wish I would have practice OPP a lot more and been more efficient in it.

My palpatory skills have definitely increased significantly and I can explain what's going on really well.

I used to think of it all as a bull crap extra class to just deal with. And some of it DEFINITELY IS...

But I will honestly say I have treated friends and family with less invasive techniques and have seem much improvement.

I am now strongly considering doing a separate OMM practice if I enter FM or IM on the side.

The cash rates and the reimbursement rates I have seen for proper dx and treatment of opp is much higher than I would have thought.

14. AlbinoHawk DO

AlbinoHawk DO PeeGeeWai Osteopath
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Has a lot of low yield material. The new High Yield feature is fake because it tests you on all the subtopics that are within high yield topics. The trust is there are high yield things within everything. For example WPW is rarely tested, but when it does, you should know class 1a treats it. Also many of the questions and answers are convoluted.

darknecrosforte likes this.
  15. TheaterOfTheme

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah we need to make a sticky post on how firecracker SUCKS. I got conned into it to but quickly abandoned ship.

16. Spectreman

I do the daily case study, just for kicks and to get my mind thinking about something else for a minute. The review cards are such a waste. Just study FA if you’re gonna play that game.

getfat likes this.
  17. Hippocrates II

As someone who was going to buy FC, this is good info.

18. Spectreman

Sometimes they’ll do like 75% incentive bonuses. If you get a friend to pass that commission back to you, you can end up getting 2 years for like $50. That’s what I did.

19. Dagrimsta1

Dagrimsta1 Current Representation of MS-2
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If I had the opportunity to start college again, I would pursue a different degree. I would completely avoid medicine. I don't hate it but I can't see myself repeating MS1 and applications. The sunk cost fallacy is a real bitch bro. I would do something like astronomy/astrophysics (my personal interest). MS1 drains the life from you and from what I hear, MS2 is even worse... To the OP that is coming in right now, mentally prepare yourself for the fact that you are basically re entering high school. You have your smart kids who either live in the library/in their books, or are just naturally born to regurgitate. They will be the reason the average is so high and there are much more of them than there were in high school. You'll have your jocks and type A personalities that will just piss you off if your not one of them. You'll have your normal down to earth people that will either become your friends or your enemies (because you are a jock/type A). Then you have your lower preforming students who are probably the ones you should thank for normalizing the class average. The reason why I equate it to high school is because, your basically doing another 4 years of school, another round of competitive applications at the end (residency), and having to compete like hell for what you want. BTW what you want to do as a specialty will likely change either because you realize that its a pipe dream that requires you to be perfect (step 240<) and/or because you realize that there are just better options out there. You need some serious dedication so you better have it.

20. sab3156

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It's actually not "board focused" at all. In fact, whenever these issues are brought up to the Dean, he says: "We don't teach for the boards, we teach to make outstanding physicians."

21. rg2o3

Medical Student
    Thanks for the response! I definitely have the dedication. I'm a non-trad, spent time in the military and time is flying by. Don't really have an option to fail at this point (unless I never want to have a family life, haha). Funny, I always say that if I could to undergrad again, I would do some form of astronomy/astrophysics. Unfortunately, I didn't realize how interested I was in it until way late in undergrad. Best of luck in your career!

22. uhmocksuhsillen

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'd go back and take college more seriously so I wouldn't have to go to DO school.

23. K31

K31
    Physician PhD 7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Out of curiosity, why take Step 1 instead of Step 2? EM tends to place more emphasis on Step 2.

24. shadowlightfox

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    At least your school is being honest about it.

AnatomyGrey12 and sab3156 like this.
  25. rg2o3

Medical Student
    Unfortunately its a situation outside of grades and MCAT that have pushed me into a DO school.

26. uhmocksuhsillen

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That's unfortunate. DO school sucks and puts you in a considerable hole from the get go. Just do your best to score well on boards so you can rise above the ~40% of your classmates who will get stuck going into primary care against their wishes.

sab3156 and rg2o3 like this.
  27. rg2o3

Medical Student
    Luckily for me (I will get shamed for this), primary care is one of my career interests. I know this will most likely change, but at least for now, I have some comfort haha.

28. TheaterOfTheme

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is completely true. I have never disliked a cohort of people so entirely as my medical school class as a whole. Everything about the process feels like High School--except studying for the science classes. The pre-clinical classes are the only redeeming quality to me. But even then, it takes a lot of discipline to study for 10 hours a day and sometimes more (not always, but there are periods of time that extend for weeks at a time where you are just getting your ass kicked with a pointless amount of work). The process would be so much better to me if my school literally just taught to the boards. Instead, we get bogged down with insanely detailed anatomy and molecular processes because some no-name PhD doesn't know anything outside of that. SO--if you an extremely obsessive person, you may enjoy it all. It is better than a lot of things I guess. I for one would do this over time and again in comparison to working fast-food. NOTHING is worse than fast-food lol

I'm just ranting now--but THE worst type of people in med school are the born to regurgitate ones. Its amazing to me how many there are. The system rewards uncreative, unquestioning, automatons. Luckily, those of us that don't fit all the little cliques of medical school can turn to SDN for solace. :cigar:

Astrophysics would be cool. But do you really think you could handle that amount of math? I know I couldn't.

#77 TheaterOfTheme, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Dagrimsta1 and rg2o3 like this.
  29. uhmocksuhsillen

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The exponential rise in #doctorlife, #medstudent, #scrubs postings I've seen on facebook and IG from my class over the years has correlated quite strongly with my feelings towards most of them.

Whenever I get out of the medical school bubble and see other friends, old aquaintances, etc. its clear what the average medical student is really like - a lot of insecurity, overcompensating tendencies, and mental/personality issues. There's probably 5% of people I genuinely like in my class, about 40% I can't stand, and another 50% whose existence I'm totally indifferent to.

30. TheaterOfTheme

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You, my friend, also took my exact thoughts and plastered them into electrons. Its amazing how unaware they all are. I could write a book about personality disorder using only those present in my class and have years of material lol

We have kids in my class that LITERALLY take the time to dress into their white coat and scrubs or full formal attire just to snap a few pictures after an exam and brag about finishing a class or add in a little hand-made poster to fight against some asinine social issue that they don't fully understand. Of course, don't forget the stethoscope. The vanity is enough to drive one mad.

#79 TheaterOfTheme, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  31. RamsFan&FutureDO

Medical Student
    Which is extremely frustrating...especially this year

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

TheaterOfTheme likes this.
  32. uhmocksuhsillen

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You could very well be one of the 5% in my class I commiserate with about exactly this. People legitimately get into those white coats, grab their stethoscopes...and just pose for photos to post on social media. I think it's a bunch of insecurity that's driving it. Like I'll try to talk to some of these people the way I'd talk to non-medical school friends, let guards down for a minute, and you can see them start to get uncomfortable, clam up, afraid to laugh, or unable to say anything witty. I think the social anxiety/awkwardness in this cohort is high and has completely shaped a lot of this social behavior.

I kind of equate it to those oddballs from high school who weren't really that outgoing, didn't have many friends, but the second they got into college, joined a frat, and now want to plaster how social, awesome, and life of the party they are. In reality, they're still the same weirdo despite the head to toe kappa sig gear throwing shocker signs in photos.

ronglo, TheaterOfTheme and rg2o3 like this.
  33. RamsFan&FutureDO

Medical Student
    I can honestly say if I could go back to undergrad I’d 100% party less and study more. I was on the bubble GPAwise for MD schools (the lower end of accepted students at my undergrad) and it would’ve taken a total of like 5ish hours before finals in undergrad to move quite a few of my Bs up to As and would’ve put me in a better position to get into an MD school but that’s all on me.

In hindsight to going to DO school over taking a year off after undergrad I’d go DO all over again. I hate uncertainty and taking a year off to MAYBE get into an MD school in some random state was not worth it to me. I’m sure I’ll look back after the match/residency in a few years and call current me an idiot for thinking that way, but I don’t regret my decision.

Last thought as I need to get back to Neuro, don’t be afraid to try to have a normal life in Med school. If you’re dead set on ortho or something then this probably doesn’t apply to you, but if you’re willing to go for something a tad less competitive, you can have a good time in Med school (albeit in moderation) while still gaining the knowledge you need to be a competent future physician.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

34. CajunMedic

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Namely to get past the filters, and depending on how COMLEX 3 and EM inservice go, I can fit Step 2 in before interview/rank season

35. Spectreman

I’m sorry to be a party pooper, but the backbiting in this thread is pretty pathetic. I worry much more about my classmates who are loathsome, complaining constantly about everyone, and clearly on the verge of a nervous breakdown than I do about any kid playing dress-up so they can brag on instagram.
    My advice for the newcomer, don’t walk around with a chip on your shoulder like these jaded folks, it only hurts you.

Haxx likes this.
  36. uhmocksuhsillen

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    As one of your potential classmates who is loathsome, please don't worry about me. I'm doing fantastic.

Blanky likes this.
  37. IsWhat

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I heard someone say once that the best way to get through tough military training is to go unnoticed. If you can get to the end of training without the instructors knowing your name then it means you did it right. Medical school is the same way - get in and get out without making much of a fuss and your life will be much better for it.

38. Dagrimsta1

Dagrimsta1 Current Representation of MS-2
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I like math, Idk. I’m just kind of tired about learning pointless pathways and receptors and peoples names that doctors don’t even use anyways. The math is pure, it has no motives, it’s just there. Whereas Claude, benedict, and Weber just had to name strokes after themselves. I’m really getting worn out haha

TheaterOfTheme and rg2o3 like this.
  39. rg2o3

Medical Student
    Former military and I can say that it is indeed true. Do your job, don't be an idiot, and life is good.

theLastprocastination likes this.
  40. pseud0

2+ Year Member

another thing I would do is never take any OMM lecture seriously, ever. From day 1. No amount of studies from 1970 with 10 participants will convince me that cranial sutures move.

41. Ho0v-man

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Oh yeah. I also wouldn’t bother actually getting good at HVLA. I wasted that time only to realize that i can’t use HVLA on comlex-pe...

42. Ho0v-man

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is one thing I’ve never quite got on sdn. So people like to take selfies or whatever. Who cares? I like most of my classmates. They’re some pretty exceptional people. We’re all pretty collaborative too and no gunning to my knowledge. They’re probably the best part of my school.

Coltuna and Rei02sDinnerParty like this.
  43. hz13

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Lmaoo what is wrong with DO schools?

44. pseud0

2+ Year Member

you have to learn about antiscience nonsense from gullible people and pretend like it's real when the professors ask you for 4 years. It's not fun

SuaveCardigans likes this.
  45. uhmocksuhsillen

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Lack of home hospital, lack of research opportunities, higher cost of tuition, BS pseudoscience OMM, but most importantly, they will put you at a distinct disadvantage in the match. I've got scores better than the majority of MD students and there are programs who won't interview me for no other reason than the fact I go to a DO school. Why anyone in their right mind would choose the above scenario if they have a choice..... they wouldn't. No one goes to DO school because they want to be there. It's for geographic reasons or because they didn't get in to MD. That's it.

46. hz13

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is it really nonsense? Aren’t there people who have their problems fixed by getting treated with OMM or from chiropractors? I’m genuinely asking lol

47. uhmocksuhsillen

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This dude #selfies.

48. uhmocksuhsillen

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The best and most effective aspects of OMM can be learned at masseuse school. Its BS.

49. pseud0

2+ Year Member

Yes. Most of OMM feels like some dude came up with some bull**** that they assumed to be true, then them and DO's following them did some half assed studies that work backwards from the conclusion that said bull**** is true. None of these studies could stand up to rigorous scientific probing. about 95% placebo.

the only reason it still exists is because people will lose their jobs and theres a lot of money on the line. It's beyond outmoded. It's incorrect.

uhmocksuhsillen likes this.
  50. Ho0v-man

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Oh lord no! But plenty of my classmates do. Im about 10 years too old for that.

51. Ho0v-man

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I’m pretty anti- OMM bc its such a time sink, and a lot of it is stuff im probably never going to use. That being said, getting a manipulation from someone that did an OMM residency trained physician is straight up next level wonderful. I was super skeptical but those guys are legit. They teach everything on the curriculum but theyll just tell you what actually works and stuff they never bother with.

Not my thing and i think most of us didnt grow up wanting to know omm, but if you get into it and open up a cash omm business you can make bank!