If you could go to any medical school of your choice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwanny

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where would you go? and Why? :D

While trying to fill out those damn secondaries, I daydreamt and thought about that intriguing question... At first, I was like, "man, only if I could get into UCLA... save on tuition while gettin top-notch medical training at the same time... :clap: " But then... I thought, "No, wait... wouldn't it be better if I go to Stanford? Oh shiat... what about Harvard? Columbia? Yale?" :love:

And then I felt an uncontrollable urge to add three more "only-in-my-dream" schools to my amcas app and spent 60 more bucks doing it... damn, am I stupid or what? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, I'll say the old cliche answer..... Harvard. Just so I could say... "I'm going to medical school at HAAAVARD.":D and impress the socks off of people. That said I would never live in Boston, so I guess Harvard is off my list.

Which top tier school has the cutest girls?

USC? UCLA? If I go to UCLA I might have a wider range of options.. USC I could bag me a rich girl that could help shoulder student loans!! =) LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
cornell. why not? ;)

seriously, if you're a good applicant, you're not being stupid. my thought is, you never know what will happen until you apply. the rule i set for myself last year was for every ultra competitive school i applied to i would apply to a "less" competitive school to balance it out (and partly to deter myself from going overboard financially). I like most people out there didnt interview at every top 20 school i applied to, but it at least gave me the opportunity to interview and ultimately be accepted at some great places.

If your numbers and resume give you a realistic chance at a given set of "dream" schools, i say you have to go for it, you dont want to look back and say "man i wish i applied to so and so" later on. as long as you apply to a healthy range consisting of "reach" schools, more realistic schools, "safety (i know, its the wrong word to use)" schools, you should turn out ok :)

Wherever accepts me =)

Hopefully some of the schools I applied to in-state will accept me, if not, I would prefer to remain in some part of the South, or the West or East coasts (so basically there is one region I'd rather not go to =))

Nothing personal of course,

Top-top choice:

The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.

It's a great school with a great environment. I also like the option of coming down to the valley 3rd and 4th years. :)

The more I do summer programs (Baylor-Rice HPA program) the more I want to go to San Antonio. Baylor is a fabulous school, with great academic prestige, but it's not a place I would want to be for the next 4 years.

UCLA, U of M, and UCI are three schools that I would love to attend... actually, anywhere in CA would be nice. :)

UCLAStudent, I second that and agree with you 100%!!!! Anywhere in California would be nice and a real dream come true for me! Good luck and stay positive....I hope it works out for you at the end of this application process. :)

Thanks for the kind words, voltron77! I'm actually not applying until next year, but I wish you the best! :D

Im not familiar with the best cali schools but....I want to live in california.....unfortunatly Im just not competitve there........broken dreams broken dreams.....

Hightrump, you should still apply to the CA schoola. Honestly, the medical school admission process is extremely random and unpredictable, even moreso in CA. Anything is possible. Good luck! :)

Wow, this is actually a pretty tough question for me. I guess I would be torn between Cornell, JHU, U Pitt and USUHS.... hopefully I'll get to pick at least one or two of these!!!

- Quid

Originally posted by Gleevec
Wherever accepts me =)

Hopefully some of the schools I applied to in-state will accept me, if not, I would prefer to remain in some part of the South, or the West or East coasts (so basically there is one region I'd rather not go to =))

Nothing personal of course,

why you hatin' on michigan? ;)

i applied to, interviewed and was ultimately accepted to some schools i never thought i would be - apply to those reaches; you never know - you may get there, interview, and find out you really dislike it (happened to me) ... or you may have to choose between two of your "reaches" one day! good luck! :)

Texas Tech :clap: Seriously, I have the scores, EC's and work history to get in at top 20's, but I cannot escape the fact that I am married with 2 children. I don't quite know what to expect from medical school and I don't want to risk my family at a top 20. TT has a great program, Lubbock has great elementary schools/low cost of living and I have been told by students with families there that TT is very family friendly.

That's it...... it's the only place I'm applying to and I hope it works out:cool:

UCB/UCSF Joint Medical Program. The first reason? You get to conduct your own medical research (actually, you have to in order to get your MS in Medical Science). I have an entire book of research ideas - it's pretty much my favorite thing to think about. The second reason is location. My hubby and I live in Oakland, he works for LBL and loves it there, and I wouldn't have to disrupt our lives for my career, even when I went to UCSF for 3rd year. Third, I love the fact that they only take about 22 students a year. I think it makes for a much more active and enjoyable learning experience. I have a few friends who've gone through this program, and they have had, for the most part, a pretty good time of it. They're all good friends there. And finally, I already go to Berkeley, so there wouldn't be much of a "culture shock."

Will I get into this program? Probably not. I'll be lucky to get in anywhere. But a girl can dream, no?

Nanon

Michigan, columbia, harvard, or a cali school...

I dunno, it just would be great to go to any of those...

-Ice

Originally posted by TTSD
Which top tier school has the cutest girls?

USC? UCLA? If I go to UCLA I might have a wider range of options.. USC I could bag me a rich girl that could help shoulder student loans!! =) LOL

Everybody knows all the cute girlz live in Texas. Comon, I thought that was common knowledge!