If you could go to any vet school....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

researchvet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
... where would you go? Let's pretend money isn't a factor (ha!). Where would you go and why?

I find that one of the things with which I struggle is the fact that I don't know a lot about many of the vet schools. I've read their websites and asked around, but there often just isn't a lot of information out there. I realized that some of my top choices coincided with those of them about which I know the most. I wouldn't want to disregard a great school based on lack of information. So, where would you go and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I got into my two top choices and it partly came down to money, but I'll tell you the non-monitary reasons I chose TN. (And BTW, it was not my contract school, and I did get into my contract school and chose TN anyway.)

I love the small class size. I know everyone in my class, but there's still enough people for everyone to find a group to fit in. When I came for the interview, one of the professors had made lunch for everyone and the students gave up some of their spring break (which I plan to do this year) to calm down the interviewees. It was such a strong family environment and a sense that we're all in this together, students, faculty and staff. They also handed out their curriculum and I found it to be challenging and do-able at the same time. And I feel, after coming here, that what has been expected of me as a vet student as far as time, exams, etc. is very reasonable. Plus I was and still am interested in exotics and the doctors here in that department are incredible. I was so impressed that Dr. Greenacre was doing a pain management study on beardies, which is exactly the kind of thing I want to do.

As far as anything I would have changed about my application process, I didn't look at all at west coast schools for personal reasons, but as far as east coast schools....there's no place else I'd rather be!

If I could go anywhere I wanted, I'd pick Oregon.

For the simple reason: I'd be less likely to get homesick there.

My grandparents live nearby, and they also have a really nice rustic cabin in Alsea that I have great memories of.

Plus, a train runs from nearby OSU to back home. So I could take a train home for weekends if I wanted to, and study on the way there and back. How great would that be? So I could still see my family as much as I wanted!

And the weather is like I'm used to (Western WA), and there's plenty of trees. My in state school (in Eastern WA) is a totally different landscape. No trees. Just wheat fields. And it gets way, way too cold for my taste. In the winter, the passes suck to drive over and I wouldn't be able to get home very well either.

--In reality though, I'd be thrilled to get into Washington. I'm just planning on missing my family, the trees, all the green, the nice mild climate, and always being able to see water and mountains from practically anywhere you stand. We really are pampered on this side of the state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tufts is currently my first choice, but we'll see where I get in. Before I got rejected from Penn, that was tied for first choice with Tufts, partly because my best friend's husband goes to med school there and it would have been nice to be near them (and only 2 hours from home).

Anyway, the reason I really like Tufts (from what I'm seen/read on the website, since I haven't visited it or any of the other schools) is that their wildlife program looks great, and so does what I've seen of the general curriculum.

Minnesota.

I live five minutes from the college (biking distance), it's in a metro area (very important when you have an audio engineering partner), and to be honest, we just painted our loft last may and I really don't feel like climbing up our 15 foot ceiling to begin the re-painting process.

The Raptor center is a huge plus as well. Dodging turkey vulture vomit is an experience not offered at many schools.

ps. I also feel that they should give me extra points on my application because I have the state tattooed on my foot. That's hardcore reppin'!

TN. I love that they have such a great exotics program.

I've also heard the same about the University of Florida; however, I don't think I want to *live* down there! TN sounds great!

As an out of stater, I will have fun getting in. Tufts is my state school, but it's just as expensive going there as instate as it is going elsewhere OOS. =(

Interesting thread guys!

It would have to be between Penn and Colorado...they both have very good Equine Programs, and horses is what I am all about. Tufts is my in state school, but I would love to go to one of those. :)

Tufts. I like the small class size and the faculty all try really hard to help you understand the material. They are also excited to teach which is a nice change from undergrad. The curriculum seems to be well set up at least so far. We have a fairly new anatomy building that has a really good ventilation system (yes it still smells like anatomy). I also really like the fact that most of our classes are lecture based but we have problem based learning once a week which is a good mix for me. It's not in a city! (but Boston is reachable for those that like cities).

Congrats on all the acceptances, researchvet! I think I remember you saying you were interested in wildlife? I am, too, and was just browsing some of the older posts and found this (which schools have good wildlife programs):

Tufts would be #1 on that list. They have the entire conservation medicine curriculum and a wildlife clinic.

NC State has a bit of wildlife curriculum.

Cornell has the Ornithology Lab. You would have to make your own opportunities happen there as a Vet Student, but If you could develop a research project with them that would be Mucho Grande.

Colorado is another good one.

Both UPENN and TENN take care of their respective cities zoo animals and have internship opportunities. TN also has a zoological medicine PHD program.

Minnesota has the Raptor Center on the Vet Campus. Good opportunities to get some more rehab and conservation opportunities there.

Anyway, I found it helpful, thought you might as well.

Definitely CSU! It's close to home, I love Ft. Collins and in-state tuition is a huge plus!

I would take Cornell or UC Davis and relocate it to the US Virgin Islands or Key West and then go there!

UPEI if only for the location. 4 years in Atlantic Canada would be awesome.

So far I've only been to one campus, and here are my thoughts.

NCSU - everyone is very excited, building a new small animal hospital, amazing teaching animal unit and pictureque farm buildings, nice place to live, school is really making an effort to be a leader in the field. that means right now, facilities aren't up to where they want them to be - but in 4 years... wow. southern - for what that's worth.

I'l be going to a whole slew of others and am excited to get perspective and exposure to different university setups!

Members don't see this ad :)
Purdue (West Lafeyette IN). I love the community....pretty small for such a wonderful school. Allows you to focus more on your studies....and they have nice apartments right off campus for students with families. Well the brochure made them look nice at least! lol

Not too expensive because I'm in state.... great reputation.....ahhhhhh how I dream I will be studying there one day in the near future.:oops:

I would have loved to go to Colorado State: a more holistic focus and MOUNTAINS! I loved living in Colorado (lived in Aurora in middle school) and I can't wait to go back some day for good. But I would not have likely gotten in OOS, my husband didn't want to move for his job, and an extra 100K in student loans wasn't worth it to me for four years unless I would have lived there for like 2 years first to get residency. So I only applied to Mizzou, got in, and am just trying to hang in there. :D

I am currently a 1st year at Michigan state. Strong program, new curriculum, a few kinks, but there trying to fix for 2012. Many opportunities for hands on during year 1. Get to dissect a dog, cow and horse. I believe MSU takes the most out of state students. We also start clinics jan 1 your third year, so lots of time out of the classroom. Ask if you have questions. ADVICE to those applying to schools, find out these things:
1. Students access to the clinic (it should be known that at Tufts students are allowed into the clinic for a day their second year to shadow, and that is about it untill clinics)
2. When clinics start
3. Is the clinic connected to the classrooms, here its all one building, easier student access
4. Caseload of teaching hospital relating to what your interested in, do they see more than one cow a week, do they treat birds, oncology...ect
5. Pass rates on NAVLE, first time and overall... (MSU is low first time, but average 2nd time), our new curriculum is addressing this be bringing more clinic into the classroom
6. Time for externships

Hope this helps

What makes you say Penn- im asking becuase I loved the school and am accepted, but a little scared by the idea of going into that much debt!

I am currently a 1st year at Michigan state. Strong program, new curriculum, a few kinks, but there trying to fix for 2012. Many opportunities for hands on during year 1. Get to dissect a dog, cow and horse. I believe MSU takes the most out of state students. We also start clinics jan 1 your third year, so lots of time out of the classroom. Ask if you have questions. ADVICE to those applying to schools, find out these things:
1. Students access to the clinic (it should be known that at Tufts students are allowed into the clinic for a day their second year to shadow, and that is about it untill clinics)
2. When clinics start
3. Is the clinic connected to the classrooms, here its all one building, easier student access
4. Caseload of teaching hospital relating to what your interested in, do they see more than one cow a week, do they treat birds, oncology...ect
5. Pass rates on NAVLE, first time and overall... (MSU is low first time, but average 2nd time), our new curriculum is addressing this be bringing more clinic into the classroom
6. Time for externships

Hope this helps

Sorry had to defend. Starting second semester you can be in the hospital for selective one or two days a week (in theory you could do this first semster but they suggest you use the selective time for studying). Selectives continue through second year. Starting in second year you have one day on rotation all day through each of the different departments. Clinics start in March of third year. We also have clinical skills once a month for first and second year--general hands on experience restraining, taking blood, etc. So we get a decent amount of non-lecture time.

I think I have to jump in alongside Angelo84 and defend, too. At Tufts, there are also a lot of opportunities for students to work (for pay) in the small or large animal hospital, either regular weekly shifts or on an on-call basis for surgery/medicine tech teams.

Sorry had to defend. Starting second semester you can be in the hospital for selective one or two days a week (in theory you could do this first semster but they suggest you use the selective time for studying). Selectives continue through second year. Starting in second year you have one day on rotation all day through each of the different departments. Clinics start in March of third year. We also have clinical skills once a month for first and second year--general hands on experience restraining, taking blood, etc. So we get a decent amount of non-lecture time.

What makes you say Penn- im asking becuase I loved the school and am accepted, but a little scared by the idea of going into that much debt!

I am interested in why you picked Penn as well. I absolutely love penn and am thrilled with my acceptance. But the debt for OOS is a big heavy raincloud that may rain on my parade!

I am interested in why you picked Penn as well. I absolutely love penn and am thrilled with my acceptance. But the debt for OOS is a big heavy raincloud that may rain on my parade!

I got a long email from one of the vets I work with. She and her husband are both Penn grads (OOS) and 10 years after graduating they are collectively sill $97k in debt and pay $1300/month. And these are successful veterinarians. Man, I am starting to have my freakout. I'm going to Cornell this weekend and I hope I like it a lot more than Penn, otherwise I'm going to wrestle between two great schools over whether my happiness is more important than my money. Aaaaaaah... ok I'm done... for now...

I am happy here, is pretty much what it comes down to. I love my class, I (surprisingly) like the city, we have great faculty, you can't beat VHUP (SA) or New Bolton (LA) in terms of caseload, facilities, etc. I am also close to home, which is really nice since I was halfway across the country for undergrad.

I was going to be in mucho debt wherever I went. Penn as in-state (which I am) is pretty much equivalent to out of state anywhere else so it wasn't really a financial decision for me. I did have the option of going to NC State and switching to in state tuition after 1st year, and I almost did. Don't get me wrong, I loved NCSU and Raleigh, but wanting to do Equine, especially racehorses, I couldn't bring myself to go to a school with a fraction of the equine caseload in a state where horse racing is illegal.

I wrote about Penn (as did others) in this thread awhile back:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=375912

I like this thread a lot, gives me some fantasy time to sit back and imagine and smile...

My first choice is probably a little weird though...
If money were not an option, I would choose Wazzu! I got to visit Washington State University back in undergrad, and I totally fell in love with it. I was ready to pack it all up and move there to get residency when I started dating my fella, and realistically he could never get a job in that location. I know that Pullman is very small and isolated, but being from a small town I felt right at home there. After living in Phoenix and north Denver for the past few years, I really miss that small town feeling, especially when it is in a college town.

My second choice would be UC Davis- they have some amazing non-human primate facilities. Of course money reeeeeeally wouldn't have to be a problem, because I would probably have to buy them a few buildings just to get into that school! :D

And my third choice would be Western- since it is so expensive anyway, but it is very close to home, and I love the PBL concept. I am also a big fan of being able to choose where I want to do some of my rotations (so that would make attending WSU and UCD possible, I guess!).

I am also a big fan of being able to choose where I want to do some of my rotations

I was under the impression that you could do this at a variety of places. At least, you have elective rotations and some schools will let you set up a rotation someplace with a board certified vet (university, govt facility, private practice) and do a rotation in something at that location. The schools I've interviewed with so far both seemed to indicate this was a possibility (and didn't make it seem that uncommon, either).

I was under the impression that you could do this at a variety of places. At least, you have elective rotations and some schools will let you set up a rotation someplace with a board certified vet (university, govt facility, private practice) and do a rotation in something at that location. The schools I've interviewed with so far both seemed to indicate this was a possibility (and didn't make it seem that uncommon, either).

It may just be recruiting talk, but I have been told the same thing at KSU and ISU. KSU went out of their way to describe all of the externship opportunities they have via alumni connections. I was under the impression that most vet schools encourage these types of experiences.

Purdue. Small class size, lots of hands on, nicest people I've met so far.

It may just be recruiting talk, but I have been told the same thing at KSU and ISU. KSU went out of their way to describe all of the externship opportunities they have via alumni connections. I was under the impression that most vet schools encourage these types of experiences.

Ok, well I've only talked to folks at KSU and ISU, too, so I suppose we should double check with others to make sure this is a more broadly available opportunity... You know, not relying on anecdotal information...being scientific about it...all that hoopla. :p

At virtually every vet school I've heard of you have a couple of blank rotations in your senior year that you can set up and do an externship for 2 or 3 weeks--another vet school, a private practice, something else...

Anyway, you can also do these in your "third year" aka the summer after you finish your second year depending on the rules of where you want to go. (Some only allow fourth years.)

I am interested in wildlife so thanks for the post. The folks at Cornell told me that they have a whole wildlife center, not only an ornithology lab. I don't know any details but thought I'd update that part of the list you posted.

Congrats on all the acceptances, researchvet! I think I remember you saying you were interested in wildlife? I am, too, and was just browsing some of the older posts and found this (which schools have good wildlife programs):

Anyway, I found it helpful, thought you might as well.

If $ and family weren't in the picture, I'd love to go to RVC. I'd love to go overseas and spend a few years. But alas, I don't think I could get my 2 dogs, 4 cats, 1 bunny (and most importantly) the squirrel over there eaisly...AND find a place to live to house them all.

So it's UF, OKstate or bust (again).

:love:Colorado State :love:
-Larger class size (I know, I'm wierd. But the idea of spending four years with the same 60 people is terrifying to me!)
-Ft. Collins is A-MAZ-ING
-Mountains
-New Belgium brewing company (no, I am not an alcoholic, but they brew my favorite beer in the whole entire world!)
-A climate I know I can deal with (not too cold, snow in the winter, warm in the summer)
-Holistic approach to vet med
-Clinics start in 3rd year
-I could go on and on and on......

Um, any place that accepts me? C'mon, schools, you're killing me here!

But seriously, I think I would be happy with anywhere that does not do predominantly PBL. We did PBL in engineering school as a supplement to lectures and that was fine, but mostly PBL would frustrate the heck out of me.

Penn as in-state (which I am) is pretty much equivalent to out of state anywhere else so it wasn't really a financial decision for me.

That's the real kicker for PA students. Regardless of where we go, we are going to be paying the price of a Penn education. May as well get what we are paying for.

Plus, I don't care if I'm still in debt till the day I die because of schooling. Doing what you love is more important than all the money in the world. If I lived in another state though, with an instate tuition of $15k or something, it's possible I'd sing a different tune. But the decision is fairly simple living here.

That's the real kicker for PA students. Regardless of where we go, we are going to be paying the price of a Penn education. May as well get what we are paying for.

Plus, I don't care if I'm still in debt till the day I die because of schooling. Doing what you love is more important than all the money in the world. If I lived in another state though, with an instate tuition of $15k or something, it's possible I'd sing a different tune. But the decision is fairly simple living here.

Exactly my internal conflict! Davis is my IS, but I keep liking Penn more and more. However, if I get accepted at Davis, I don't know if I will be able to justify going to Penn for 20K/year more when my cheaper option is also a great school...especially when I don't have any really good reasons for wanting to go to Penn other than "I really like it." I guess we'll see what happens when the decision from Davis *finally* arrives.