If you could interview an allopathic admissions member, what would you ask?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGreaterBromentum

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently started a podcast on iTunes called MedStud Memoirs, and we're starting a new segment called "Ask Admissions". We'll be interviewing one of our student admissions liasons for tips and tricks. We want to know what the pressing issues are for current applicants, and how we can best inform them!

Members don't see this ad.

Who do I have to sleep with to get an interview around here?

Reactions: 19 users
So I'm always surprised to hear about people with insanely high metrics struggling with admissions.

I'm curious, what specific things are red flags or turn offs for an adcom when reviewing a high metric candidate?

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses. The red flags for high metric applicants is definitely a great question! We'll be incorporating that into the interview for sure. As for the name "MedStud", it's a pretty common abbreviation for a succeeding medical student. If people happen to mistake the "stud" for representing us being very good looking, well there are worse things. Anyway, the interview should premiere in four to six weeks after episodes 4 and 5 of the podcast. Thanks!

Reactions: 2 users
why do admissions officers hate us?

Reactions: 3 users
@LizzyM, @gyngyn, @Med Ed, @mimelim, for starters. There's a wealth of talent here.

I recently started a podcast on iTunes called MedStud Memoirs, and we're starting a new segment called "Ask Admissions". We'll be interviewing one of our student admissions liasons for tips and tricks. We want to know what the pressing issues are for current applicants, and how we can best inform them!

Red flags in high stats applicants

In the application:
Failure to attend to "minor" details. Misspelling the school's name or substituting the name of another school (from an inattentive cut & paste) is an automatic rejection from where I sit. If I can only interview 20% of the applicant pool, cutting has to be ruthless.

In the interview:
Being arrogant. If you have already been admitted to a higher ranked school and are interviewing here as a way to leverage a better funding package or to appease a parent, or just to put a notch in your belt, don't act like you are doing us a favor by being here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
So I'm always surprised to hear about people with insanely high metrics struggling with admissions.

I'm curious, what specific things are red flags or turn offs for an adcom when reviewing a high metric candidate?

Think of the biggest a-hole you know. Now imagine that person is sitting in a medical school interview just oozing a-holishness from every pore. Sound like a good enough reason to toss that fish back in the pond? We have also had some with IA's who, after the interview, we simply cannot give them the benefit of the doubt.

I have also seen some people who are likely brilliant in some narrow way(s) but so socially inept that you cannot even imagine putting them alone in a room with a patient. Or even a standardized patient. Sometimes they are so robotic that they make my toaster seem sensual by comparison. We've had people who can't look up from the floor, people who spend the entire interview giving the interviewer a piercing, unblinking stare, people who have openly advocated a variety of pseudoscientific and/or crackpot views on a wide variety of topics. I'm talking Flat Earth Society.

Put another way, imagine every distasteful quality our species possesses, then imagine each of those qualities personified, with high stats, and sitting in a medical school interview. Sooner or later it will actually happen.

Reactions: 11 users
Can I play? These are all case reports of yes, high stat, high-achieving people. Why were they being interviewed at a DO school? They obviously were rejected from MD schools, or wanted to stay close to home.

Being unprofessional for any reason. An example is addressing a faculty member by their first name. Another is chewing gum during the interview. If you have a dry mouth, suck on a lozenge instead. BTW, the interview lasts all day. Acting unprofessionally during your tour, like yelling at a parking attendant, or trashing the school, or expecting the Admissions Office staff to hang up your coat or fetch you coffee is duly noted and affects your fate accordingly.

Not taking the interview seriously, like showing up poorly dressed. This is suit and tie time (and nice dress/outfit/suit for the ladies). You're going into character. Yes, if the airline loses your luggage, we understand that.

Being arrogant. People who think that they're God's gift to Medicine do not go into Medicine.

Being too shy or nervous. Being quiet is OK; being monosyllabic or robotic is not.

Not making eye contact is also a no-no (yes I'm aware that in some cultures, one does not look elders in the eye, but this is the USA and you need to look people in the eye here).

Any hints of immaturity will be lethal for your chances. We expect you to be thoughtful and self-aware. Would you admit the gal who, when asked a hypothetical, "What would you do in this situation?" answers, "Oh, that wouldn't happen."

Showing you're greedy.

Being clueless as to why you're choosing Medicine as a career.

Doing this because your mom/dad wants you to be a doctor (or don't think you can be doctor).

Completely lacking people skills (4.0 automatons are a dime a dozen, really).

Showing that you're more interested in research than Medicine. This might be OK at Stanford, but it won’t fly at most other schools.

Still being the hyper-gunner...I rejected a 4.0 gal who wanted to answer the questions I asked of another person in the interview panel. I don't want to admit someone who will be in my office whining about how they got a 95 on an exam and deserved a 96.

Having a flat affect. This might be due to medication, or a mental or personality disorder. You ever meet someone who could never crack a smile? I don't want someone like that touching patients.

Copping an attitude. I asked a woman why she didn't have any volunteer experience. She replied that she was too busy working. Fair enough, some people have lives, but she copped an attitude while delivering this, and I just wrote down "reject".

Coming in with scripted answers and being unable to deviate from said script.

Being ill-prepared for fairly common interview questions (e.g. Why this school? Why Medicine?)

Thinking that always circling back to your accomplishments and how great you are impresses us.

Doing show and tell....with props.

Being a babbling idiot.

You had me double over my keyboard in laughter on this one, colleague.

Think of the biggest a-hole you know. Now imagine that person is sitting in a medical school interview just oozing a-holishness from every pore. Sound like a good enough reason to toss that fish back in the pond? We have also had some with IA's who, after the interview, we simply cannot give them the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: 9 users

My PI said to print out some of my lab presentations and to bring them to my interviews. I thought that was such a weird and inappropriate thing to do. Is this an Indian cultural thing?

people who have openly advocated a variety of pseudoscientific and/or crackpot views on a wide variety of topics. I'm talking Flat Earth Society.

Out of curiosity what other pseudoscientific claims have you seen expressed?

In some other thread, IIRC, this person mentioned that they told their interviewer they knew card tricks and the interviewer told them to bring a deck to their future interviews!

My PI said to print out some of my lab presentations and to bring them to my interviews. I thought that was such a weird and inappropriate thing to do. Is this an Indian cultural thing?

LOL no my friend's PI told her to do this as well. Perhaps this is more acceptable at PhD interviews...or maybe at least MD/PhD? She also said to absolutely mention that the research was NIH funded.

Out of curiosity what other pseudoscientific claims have you seen expressed?
I can't speak about interviews specifically, but you can find a lot of these views here! Ever heard of homeopathy and anti-vaccination?

In some other thread, IIRC, this person mentioned that they told their interviewer they knew card tricks and the interviewer told them to bring a deck to their future interviews!

n=1, don't bring props. Also this is more of a funny/interesting talent, not bringing immunfluorescence images and data distribution charts to show off your research. If I recall correctly that thread also concluded with something to the effect of "bring a card deck for the novelty, don't whip it out unless asked."

Reactions: 1 user
I can't speak about interviews specifically, but you can find a lot of these views here! Ever heard of homeopathy and anti-vaccination?

Thats sad.

n=1, don't bring props. Also this is more of a funny/interesting talent, not bringing immunfluorescence images and data distribution charts to show off your research. If I recall correctly that thread also concluded with something to the effect of "bring a card deck for the novelty, don't whip it out unless asked."

Oh I wasn't endorsing it, I was just mentioning a random anecdote since it was relevant. lol

Reactions: 1 user
Do students like that actually exist? Like arrogant, snobby, entitled premeds? Honestly I can't even imagine someone going into this profession would behave like that haha.

Do we see more of these type of behaviors with high metric students?