If you could prepare for Step I again what would you do differently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eduardo Canalizo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG who's preparing for Step 1 and I want to gather up every bit of information about the test so... What would you change/do differently?

Members don't see this ad.

Pay more attention in class, especially in anatomy. Spent more time reading first aid, especially pharm and micro. Wish I had time to do those cards.

Reactions: 1 users
Incorporate FA into my studies from the very beginning. Used one of the Qbanks during systems (Rx or Kaplan since UWorld shouldn't be touched until the final stretch). Oh... And not listen to people who say it's too early to start studying. It's only "too early" if you don't pace yourself and burn out. Guess that's the tough part.

Reactions: 1 users
Go balls to the wall in 4-6 weeks before my exam date. I studied for 6 months, and while I wasn't burned out because I studied 6-8 hours a day, it was overkill. I think if your school provides an adequate education and you pay attention the first 2 years, 4-6 weeks is sufficient.

Use Goljan's Pathology book with your classes. I just used Pathoma, UWorld, and FA during the year (didn't do school lectures), but this brought me to the boards with just review materials under my belt.

Goljan updates his material (the new edition is ~100 pages longer then the third) far more than Pathoma and UWorld do their own, so you have a better chance of staying up to date with changes in the examiners' attitudes/emphases.

Reactions: 1 user