If you get accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr midnight

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you get accepted to a med school and say yes ( even tho it i not your first choice) do the other schools know? can you get other school acceptances? or as soon as you say yes.. your done A friend of mine disagree how it works... please help

Members don't see this ad.

You can get multiple acceptances. Don't say no to any acceptances until you have ATLEAST 2 in hand and you'd rather go to one of the schools over another. The worst thing you can do is get an acceptance and deny based on you thinking you'll get another down the line. Multiple acceptances can be held until May 15th. After then you have to pick a school to commit too and let that school know. Last application season I saw people on here where they held two acceptances after the 15th but they were in "financial aid talks" with the schools to get the best deal.

Edit: Listen to Phoenix. He probably knows more than I do.

After you receive an acceptance, you must respond to the school with a deposit typically right away to secure your spot. You may accept spots at multiple schools, but you must decide by May 15th (but for the benefit of those on waitlists, much earlier) which school you will attend. Being accepted by one school does not preclude you from being accepted by another.

Members don't see this ad :)
I could be wrong, but I thought that all schools at which you applied can see where you've been accepted on March 15th. And that as of May 15th, you can only hold one acceptance (but remain on as many waitlists as you like).

I could be wrong, but I thought that all schools at which you applied can see where you've been accepted on March 15th. And that as of May 15th, you can only hold one acceptance (but remain on as many waitlists as you like).

If that is the case I wonder if that is one reason why Harvard holds off until March to send decisions. I guess it is nice for the school to have acceptance information on all their interviewees in hand before making offers...

If that is the case I wonder if that is one reason why Harvard holds off until March to send decisions. I guess it is nice for the school to have acceptance information on all their interviewees in hand before making offers...

Whether or not you have another acceptance does not impact whether or not a you will receive an acceptance from another school. If a school feels that you are a qualified applicant that will be a good fit, they will offer you an acceptance regardless of your application status at other schools. School's having nothing to lose offering an acceptance to someone who already has others.

If I get accepted at 1 school I can give them a dep. it won't affect any other schools? if I get 2 I can give a dep for that school also. .....even 3 ( if I am so lucky) but by May 15th I will have to decide..... Do the other schools know when you get accepted? My friend said as soon as you accept and pay the dep. AAMC take you off the list????? and you don't qualify for any more schools. thank you

Whether or not you have another acceptance does not impact whether or not a you will receive an acceptance from another school. If a school feels that you are a qualified applicant that will be a good fit, they will offer you an acceptance regardless of your application status at other schools. School's having nothing to lose offering an acceptance to someone who already has others.

I love your avatar of GOB (ghob).

If I get accepted at 1 school I can give them a dep. it won't affect any other schools? if I get 2 I can give a dep for that school also. .....even 3 ( if I am so lucky) but by May 15th I will have to decide..... Do the other schools know when you get accepted? My friend said as soon as you accept and pay the dep. AAMC take you off the list????? and you don't qualify for any more schools. thank you

this is not true. read the AAMC website... or the posts above.

People are giving you the answer, why don't you read?

no need to be rude... I understand... this was to get my friend straight. I told her she was wrong... thank you all for your help I appreciate your info.

This may sound stupid, but do you typically get your deposit back if you decide to go elsewhere? I know I didn't get a dime back from the fees for secondaries (some more than $100). I've heard of some schools with deposits near $2,500.

You have to check MSAR for each school . I understand most do as long as you decide by May 15th after the 15th no

This may sound stupid, but do you typically get your deposit back if you decide to go elsewhere? I know I didn't get a dime back from the fees for secondaries (some more than $100). I've heard of some schools with deposits near $2,500.

I think the large deposits are for DO schools, and they don't have to refund it. The MD schools I've seen typically have a deposit of $100-$150, and it goes towards your tuition. If you withdraw before May 15th, you get it back. Afterwards, you don't. Secondary fees are non-refundable.

Pheonix. said:

I thought it was that schools that make a final decision on you could see after that date, but those that haven't yet made a decision couldn't. So if you get into school A and B, rejected from C, and don't have a decision from D... A, B, and C can tell where you've gotten accepted, and D won't find out until they make a decision...