If you go or are going to UNC read this!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmgonza2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up everyone!

I'm excited to start off my dental school career in a few weeks! I have a few questions for the current UNC students!

-Stupid question - what is the dress code first year? Can you wear jeans?
-When did you get your laptop? At orientation or did you buy it before?
-Do you have any sway in getting patients into the clinics for treatment. I work in the area, and have had several people, including some dentists that asked if students could "get" patients into the patient pool.
-Any advice or "do's and don'ts" specific to UNC dental school?
-When did you buy your books?

Lastly for those existing students and those students "to be", if anyone wants to get together before classes start up in the fall....lets arrange something! I'd love to get together before classes start!

-Miguel

Members don't see this ad.

-No dress code, just look professional
-Laptop is covefred at orientation...bring your checkbook!
-You can get immediate family into the clinic (once you begin summer of your 1st year)
-Don't be uptight or cut-throat like at some other programs. Don't whine if you don't like something...you'll be with the same people for the next 4 years. If it's important, address it, or deal with it.
-Buy books after attending class...you likely won't need all of 'em if you're comfortable with the proposed subject mater. Some instructors will tell you as much

As an addition to that last post, the only book you need to buy is Netter, and possibly Linek. That is it, save your money for much needed brews at He's Not on friday afternoons.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Don't be uptight or cut-throat like at some other programs. Don't whine if you don't like something...you'll be with the same people for the next 4 years. If it's important, address it, or deal with it.
Don't listen to this kid, pollei whines all the dang time.
I love you pollei!!!! :love:

I'm at UNC, the only book you'll need is Netter's and Wheater's. NOTHING ELSE. DO NOT BUY ANY BOOKS. They're useless and you'll waste your time reading it. I'm sure you can find something better to spend 400$ on... like a new bike. Biking to the school is COOL... It beats waiting for the bus everyday. And since you'll be so busy in dental school it can be a form of exercise.

There's no dress code. I've never heard about swaying patients. And be prepared to discover that the entire class is MARRIED. For some reason, our class is 90% married, and 8% engaged :-D.

BUT UNC ROCKS!!! You'll love Dr. Solow (Summer session teacher - Patient Care). I do EMPASIZE... DO NOT BUY ANY BOOKS EXCEPT FOR NETTER'S AND WHEATER'S, you need nothing else. Don't waste your MONEY!!!! The books are useless, everything is on powerpoint slides.

Actually there is a dress code, as described by the students themselves in one of our little student government constitutions or something. It says things like no jeans, etc, but it is no longer followed and as you can tell from some of the other posts evidently people dont even know about it at all. Like they are saying with the books, i wouldn't buy anything until you get there, talk to all of us that have been here, and go to some of the classes. Some books are indeed really required, especially netter, and contemporary ortho (which you dont need at first but do need in later classes). Also, a lot of the books can be helpful if you'e really interested in the subjects like our operative dentistry or pros books. You'll be able to figure it all out when you get here though. Oh yeah, I like solow about as much as i like dook.

i love that accent (New Yorker) and the bluntness. if i learned anything in his class, it was to ask the patient the very first day:

"Do You have the money now? And no we don't have a payment plan"

:laugh:

I think the dress code only applies to when you're in the clinics.

Same to you, Strayhorn. Kick endo tomorrow (this is always better than studying, eh?) :laugh: What wstrayho said abou some of the books is true...you may not use them much at first, but once you're more than a year into things you'll appreciate having them. Some classes (contrary to what has been posted by some on this thread), actually test you straight from the book...removable, endo, etc. Besides, you're not likely to remember EVERYTHING you are supposed to learn, so it always helps to have something to refer back to later. (Anyone posting on this thread who has treated patients and who disagrees, multiple opinion may be helpful.)

Dont listen to guest, it is clear that this guy has a crush on Dr. Solow, maybe he has a thing for the shiny head, I dont know :laugh:
Speaking of biking, Lance is the man and is definitely not on the juice. For obvious steroid abusers we need to look no further than the ortho department.

Thanks for all the replys gang! I'm excited about starting school. I figured I'd wait until classes started before buying books, i'll keep your suggestions in mind. So I guess, i'll wait until orientation to buy the computer??

Whew, i'm praying I can wear jeans for the first year (not in clinic). I practically live in jeans, when i'm not at work in my scrubs. Anywho, I'm far from cut throat and keep a pretty laid back, happy to be here attitude.

So....about Fridays, I see on the schedule there are fridays in which we are "off" at 1ish.....is that right? will i actually have some time off?? :O)

I have to give an amen to Pollei and Strayhorn, both of these guys are quite intelligent, and do very well in school. In other words, they have some good advice. If you want to do well in school (and be a very competent dentist upon graduation) find out which books upperclassmates bought that are doing as "well" in school as you would like to do.

You are required to buy your laptop from the school, no other options are available. I personally don't dress in a shirt and tie by any means, but please do try to dress professional/nice. I generally wear a button up shirt and cargo pants (pretty much everyday), but that's just me.

Take advantage of the "Early out" days you get the first semester. It isn't going to be like that very often after your first semester (they break us in easy...)

Feel free to talk with any of us "Third Years" or anyone else for that matter, once classes start, everyone I have run into at the school is quite friendly and helpful.

I am way excited for you, UNC is a very good school, and will be quite an experience for you. If you have any other questions, let us know.

grtuck

Where did this infiltration of 2nd year UNC students come from? I thought there was a rule that only 2 people per class could be on the board, and the limit is used guys sorry. :smuggrin: There isn't a dress code and you have as much free time as you want to take. Getting a good test file, sadly enough, is the most important factor at UNC it seems at times.

Next years incoming class might be buying the cd that contains the necessary books (as other schools do like San Antonio, Buffalo, UMDNJ etc). So you might not have any choice as to which books you can buy. The decision is yet to be made but will be soon, the talks are in the works.

guest said:
i love that accent (New Yorker) and the bluntness. if i learned anything in his class, it was to ask the patient the very first day:

"Do You have the money now? And no we don't have a payment plan"

:laugh:

I think the dress code only applies to when you're in the clinics.

Hey, Pootie-Tang, if you are going to try to hide behind monikers, I suggest you try to hide your love for bikes, Lance Armstrong, and padded spandex next time! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
So you're telling me we've got a Stray Ho, a Canadian, 1/2 of the Tucker Combo, a Pollei, and a Pollock on here from my class? Impressive.

Miguel, Carolina's a great school if you avoid these guys. Trouble. Big time trouble.

P.S. - Pay attention to DcS's "two per class" limit. I'm the other part of that. You guys go away now and learn some perio that isn't in our notes! ;)

Thanks for all your comments everyone...let's get 99's opinion on the matter. What are your thoughts, KBond? Anything else useful you can add to this thread (or to GTR and other such concepts).

The "Canadian" isn't "Guest" someone else is. But, ya it does seem as though we are all over the place lately on the site, I guess finals have made all of us burned out or something.

grtuck

Thanks for all the replies, I gotta say I'm impressed. I think DcS and a small handful of others are the only UNC folks I've heard from. Now we got a lil thinktank going on here. I was kickin' around the school yesterday (my wife works in the ENT Department) and wondering what kinda things were going on in the summer. I assumed everyone was in classes......

Just saying "Hi"

Gonza, if you were at school yesterday you probably picked the most dead week of all to be there! Besides my class taking a final at 11:00, the only other "undergrad" students there were the handful of third years who aren't on a rotation somewhere else. The first years finished last week and the fourth years done got graduated.

Guest is not Canadian. what are monikers?

Hey all you UNC'ers...
I am currently applying to UNC for 2005 entrance, and I was wondering how you all generally feel about your decision in being there...I am also applying to: UOklahoma, Uwashington, UCLA, and a few others...anything that makes UNC really stand out? Also-what are DAT scores that I should look to have?
We used to vacation in North Carolina all the time when I was little, and I just love how beautiful it is, and how NICE people are in that area of the country...:)
Although, I will admit, I have never really had a chance to visit the campus...
any thoughts?? Advice?

I am currently a Senior at the U of Arizona, I am an Oklahoma resident, and I have 4.00 GPA in Biochem....I am taking my DATs in 3 days! Eeek!
Let me know any of your thoughts! Thanks guys!! :p

fleisch,
Apply early! Most non-resident interview slots are offered by September. The entering non-residents in our class (2006) had about a 23 DAT average (just a straw poll, though). But your GPA is solid so a little lesser performance on the DAT shouldn't preclude you from an interview. I'd definately say to apply unless you absolutely bomb (which I'm sure won't occur). The other schools you are applying to are all great DDS programs, too. I have friends at each that love it there...though of course UNC is the best! :laugh: (I wouldn't be here if I didn't think so.) If you want more info on what makes UNC stand out, PM me (I hate "bragging" in forums); also I can send you more on what the admissions committee will be looking for.

Hey guys,
I'm also applying to UNC this year, well actually reapplying. Carolina's my top choice b/c I've loved UNC since I was a kid and an undergrad. I know all the positive things about UNC, but I was wondering what some of the negatives are? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

Jesse

I am curious if anybody else is living in Providence Glenn Condos or near? Do you recommend Park-and-Ride, buying an S-11 permit, or taking the bus as the primary mode of transportation? Providence Glenn is ~4.5 miles from the D-School

By the way, if you are planning to get an S-11 permit go to the Public Safety building beginning Aug 16th at 8:00 am.

If Park-and Ride is recommended how do I get to a Park-and Ride lot from 15-501?

Thanks,
Richard

I look forward to meeting everybody!

Hang gang!
Two days of Orientation out of the way....day 3 is almost here. Well I'm stoked about school, I think we have an awesome class and I think so far everyone is going to mesh really well!

Can anyone advise us first years on what to wear to anatomy lab the first day? Several of us are unsure....do we get disposable gowns....or should we wear scrubs...etc?

rwsweeny....have we met yet? I'm Miguel by the way. I think we are trying to arrange a meeting out at Lucy's Friday night.

Imgonza2,

Doesn't matter what you wear Monday, you'll stink coming out of lab. If you've never had a gross lab before, you'll get used to it. Might never forget taking a hacksaw to a cadavers calvarium, though.

And pass the word around to classmates to get involved with the NCDS- sponsored mentor program. More details in class next week, but spread the word. It's a great opportunity for y'all.

Miguel, welcome to Carolina! I'm sure all the upperclassmen, at least me and some of my third year groupies, will be going out Saturday night. We usually meander around Top of the Hill. Any cute females in the class? If so, I know just the guy for them.. ;)

Pollei,

Levitch didn't put us in gross lab until the second week of school, right? IIRC, they only have lecture on that first Monday. She might have changed her syllabus, but I remember being given a heads up before we started playing with the old dead people.

El Prez

Probably true, Prez. Can't honestly say that I remember or not. Ah, good times.

Sounds good...thanks for the heads up. I guess i'll find out more come monday! Yahoo!! anyway, thanks for the invite to TOTH on Saturday, i won't be able to make it, however I'll pass around the word tonight. First years are meeting tonight at Lucy's......

did I hear that there was something going on at Umstead on Sunday? 430? Is there something going on....and if there is....is it for class only.....or are spouses invited as well?

Keep an eye out for me.....around campus...i'm the devilishly handsome guy. UNCDentalGuy....I'll put in a good word for you with the ladies!

jpollei - i'll be sure to check out the NCDS mentor program...thanks!
Miguel

Miguel, speaking from the perspective of the person who hosted the first year party last year...

Each year the second year students have a cookout/party/shindig for the new students. In the past spouses and significant others have been welcome. It's a great chance to meet your classmates and some second year students. Enjoy!

PS - Tell your cute female classmates to watch out for the short blond third year guy... a.k.a. me...