if you had to re-pick a major what would u pick?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's the biggest bunch of horse $hit I've ever seen on this forum. Looking over the rest of the responses it looks like I am the only practicing physician to reply. If I could go back I would double major in Spanish and statistics. Those are the only two majors that are useful to me now. Everything listed here doesn't help one bit in my job.

You are officially one of my favorite attendings on SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd keep my current major and double in history. Bc it's bloody awesome and I'm never gunna get to study it again.

I would have either minored in Computer Science or done a whole double major in CS so I could actually find a job while I'm waiting during my gap years that pays decently. I love physics so I'm glad I majored in it but I'm not sure I would do it again.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the biggest bunch of horse $hit I've ever seen on this forum. Looking over the rest of the responses it looks like I am the only practicing physician to reply. If I could go back I would double major in Spanish and statistics. Those are the only two majors that are useful to me now. Everything listed here doesn't help one bit in my job.

:thumbup: I support this post.

Okay, if we're talking about classes that will help us professionally... I would probably stay with Animal Biology for my major. But (and here's the important part) I would have switched my minors around. Maybe Spanish and ASL. Spanish because it's going to practically be a prereq in a couple years, and ASL because it's a rare choice I would actually enjoy.

Women's Studies or Music. I'm a Biomedical Sciences major, but I couldn't even minor in music because my undergrad institution doesn't offer it as a minor. The women's studies courses didn't fit into my schedule, either.

Women's Studies or Music. I'm a Biomedical Sciences major, but I couldn't even minor in music because my undergrad institution doesn't offer it as a minor. The women's studies courses didn't fit into my schedule, either.

Yeah women studies wasn't even offered as a major so I minored in it instead.

Chemical Engineering. Satisfies all the Chemistry and Physics pre-reqs plus all my friends had jobs making 60K+ before they even graduated (and most of them were not even top notch students)

Yeah women studies wasn't even offered as a major so I minored in it instead.

I wish I minored in women studies. It'd be a fun time debating with feminists (or trolling them with strongly 19th century antifeminist views). :cool::cool:

so i was wondering if anyone of u guys could rewind back to ur freshmen year and change ur academic studies what major (classes) would u pick and why? suggestions/advice will be awesome...

thanks guys

Film. Oh how I love film/ movies/ video editing etc. However, that wouldn't necessarily fly with my parentals. Not to say that I regret my Physiology Major (I really love physiology), but sometimes I wish I had gone down the other road!

Underwater basket weaving.

Jk. I would've chosen International Relations. This was originally my first choice major, but I got scared away by all the paper writing during my freshman year. Ended up going with one of my other interests (Psych) as my major since I thought there would be less writing involved. Turns out...I ended up having to write way too many papers during my senior year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure how to form it into a major, but I would have loved to focus on comp sci, neurobio, and psych. A pretty killer combo for developing a more comprehensive scientific approach to the mind.

so i was wondering if anyone of u guys could rewind back to ur freshmen year and change ur academic studies what major (classes) would u pick and why? suggestions/advice will be awesome...

thanks guys
I am happy with my selected majors.

If I were forced into selecting another major, then it would have to be actuarial sciences.:)

Indeed. A Koalaty major
I don't know about Koalaty, so to speak, but I am sure one can definitely start a niche consultation service for the "less informed," especially pre-med/health majors.:D

I don't know about Koalaty, so to speak, but I am sure one can definitely start a niche consultation service for the "less informed," especially pre-med/health majors.:D

As long as they have the Koalafications, it's fine with me.

I wish I would have double majored in physics and chemistry.

I graduated with a bio degree with a chem minor. I didn't realize that I liked the physical sciences so much until I actually took the pre req classes.

I wish I would have double majored in physics and chemistry.

I graduated with a bio degree with a chem minor.I didn't realize that I liked the physical sciences so much until I actually took the pre req classes.

Same here.

I think I'd do orgo or biochem with a minor in Spanish.

Orgo/biochem because I really liked actually UNDERSTANDING things and FIGURING them out. I majored in neuroscience, and I felt like much of it was kind of like "well, the configuration of this AMPA receptor is like this because that's what our experiment showed," without really understanding why, or doing so by working backwards. Hindsight's always 20/20

Spanish because I live in California I think it is stupid to be a CA physician and not speak Spanish.

One of my mentors works at LA County and from the 2 summers I've shadowed him, he is very popular amongst his patients--minority or not. He knows zero spanish.....

i graduated with a BS in a research-y type of bio + minored in a lib arts subject. while i excelled at my major, i hated it. omg. too much focus on the details and not enough on the big picture. the lib arts minor was fun though! :)

so if i could do college all over again, i would MOST DEFINITELY double major in two languages. i chose the major that i did in college because i was so sure that i was not going into medicine, but research (and here i am now...). :p so probably spanish + arabic or chinese, with the same lib arts minor i have now.

but really, the most important thing is to choose a major that interests you AND that you are good at/will do well in. the latter is very important if you would like to go on to further schooling, whether it's grad or professional school.

hope that helps! :)