If you put together a gold standard app, but fail to match, do you lose a year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Habeed

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a few years out, and I am by no means certain I want to do neurosurgery. However, I think that a specialty like this one or similar might be a best fit, and so I am going to work as hard as I possibly can to max out my performance in medical school.

Assume, for the sake of argument, that I succeed. I score in the top 5% of the class my clinical science years, and above 250-260 on Step 1. I earn junior AOA. I score 2/3 As and 1/3 Bs in my clinical rotations, and I manage an A in all surgery rotations including neurosurgery electives. (I am trying to leave some margin for people not liking me and giving me less than perfect grades in some rotations). I do a 3 months summer research position specifically in neurosurgery between years 1 and 2, and I complete some other research in my first year of med school.

From what I have read, this is a "Gold standard" package. It is about as well as I could possibly do.

So I apply to every NS program I can afford, assuming I still want to do it in 4 years, and due to sheer bad luck (perhaps every program that I am competitive for has their spots filled by someone who has "connections" with the PD) I fail to match.

Could I do year 1 of a preliminary GS program, or do intern year in a categorical GS or other surgical program that I interviewed and ranked as a "safety"? Then, rematch? Or would I end up losing a year this way, because if I did match the second time I would have to repeat intern year at most NS programs...

I am just curious if my ambitions really are limited by "rolls of the dice".

Members don't see this ad.

No... there is no roll of the dice. If you put together something even close to that package (the average Step 1 for NSGY is 236 and only something like 25-30% of matched applicants are AOA) you will match provided that you are easy to get along with and are a hard worker. More important than all of the things listed are to get to know the people at your home program and do several away rotations. A lot of who matches where is based on conversations between program directors and residents about you.