Visiting resident? Unsure of the correct name but foreign doctor visiting for experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMG69

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A ton of my attendings in the UK have gotten clinical experience in the US at some point in their careers; I was just wondering will I be able to do this as an overseas resident or is it only available to attendings? I would love at some point during my 6 year residency to visit the US and do say 6 months of clinical training. Is this at all possible and if so how difficult is it to get? Is it competitive etc? I'm a US citizen so a visa isn't a problem etc.

Also what's the correct term for this so I can get better search results from google.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of a mechanism where you could actually operate as a visiting resident from abroad - your role would solely be research/observing. It would be better to come for you clinical fellowship once you finish you training. We have many fellows from the UK do this path and they are able to function as Clinical Instructors during their fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It is called an observership (if you're an attending you could do a hands on fellowship for a year) and is hands off only.
Ah man, thanks a lot anyway guess i'll just give up on it.