If you thought Angina was a novel Indication for Stimualtors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paz5559

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nahas Z, Marangell LB, Husain MM, Rush AJ, Sackeim HA, Lisanby SH, Martinez JM, George MS.

Two-year outcome of vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) for treatment of major depressive episodes.

J Clin Psychiatry. 2005 Sep;66(9):1097-104.

BACKGROUND: Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) had antidepressant effects in an initial open, acute phase pilot study of 59 participants in a treatment-resistant major depressive episode (MDE). We examined the effects of adjunctive VNS over 24 months in this cohort. METHOD: Adult outpatients (N = 59) with chronic or recurrent major depressive disorder or bipolar (I or II) disorder and experiencing a treatment-resistant, nonpsychotic MDE (DSM-IV criteria) received 2 years of VNS. Changes in psychotropic medications and VNS stimulus parameters were allowed only after the first 3 months. Response was defined as > or = 50% reduction from the baseline 28-item Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression (HAM-D-28) total score, and remission was defined as a HAM-D-28 score < or = 10. RESULTS: Based on last observation carried forward analyses, HAM-D-28 response rates were 31% (18/59) after 3 months, 44% (26/59) after 1 year, and 42% (25/59) after 2 years of adjunctive VNS. Remission rates were 15% (9/59) at 3 months, 27% (16/59) at 1 year, and 22% (13/59) at 2 years. By 2 years, 2 deaths (unrelated to VNS) had occurred, 4 participants had withdrawn from the study, and 81% (48/59) were still receiving VNS. Longer-term VNS was generally well tolerated. CONCLUSION: These results suggest that patients with chronic or recurrent, treatment-resistant depression may show long-term benefit when treated with VNS.

Members don't see this ad.

It also works to suppress appetite and is a treatment for obesity. Trouble is, we cannot import enough stimulators to meet the massive needs of the population in that realm of treatment in my state....

A quick look at Netter reveals the proximity of the Vagus nerve to the carotid artery. This is not a percutaneous lead placement. Probably not too technically demanding, just some gentle retraction to expose big red, grab the little string next to her and wrap on a lead.

I'd have to get my running subcuticular looking better to work on the neck.

Members don't see this ad :)
this ain't a percutaneous approach - primarily because of the migration rate - the lead would have to be wrapped around the vagus...

oh... and we all know how well depressed patients do w/ implantable devices...

http://www.vnstherapy.com/manuals/doc_download.asp?docid={8BB22160-1690-4013-8C74-E69A86BCD884}

The lead sutures on with built in anchors. Pretty primitive compared to ANS leads. Either a single electrode, or a cathode and anode setup.
3 sutures in anchors onto the left Vagus, 3 cm Vagus needs to be exposed.
Not sure I like the idea of working on the carotid sheath.

http://www.vnstherapy.com/depression/hcp/ForSurgeons/implanted.aspx