If you were ACCEPTED to SCCO, please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FLCBRUIN84

SCCO c/o 2012!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey EVERYONE!

I'll be finished up at UCLA after this year but I'm applying to optometry schools this summer. I will be taking the computerized OAT this August 20, 2006. My top choice is SCCO, by FAR!!

Here are my stats:

School: UCLA
Major: Biology
GPA: 2.8-3.0 depending on summer classes (most likely applying with high 2.9)
Experience:
Volunteer for 2 Optometry offices (2 SCCO ODs, 1 SUNY OD)
UCLA med center research associate
2 year medical practice assistant for UCLA Med School professors
UCLA jules stein eye institute volunteer
Started camp at UCLA for kids with cancer parents (got $40,000 grant and took off Summer 05)

I am taking an OAT review course (Kaplan) but I don't know what a competitive score for my LOW gpa should be. Please help me out and let me know what I should be targetting my scores at and if my chances are good of even getting in in the first with my gpa. Does SCCO even take lower than 3.0's?

1 more question: Of the three letters of rec, if only one is from a math professor, one from an optometrist and one from the doctors i work for, do you think that will work? Getting letters of rec from professors was REALLY hard for me! I can also get one from an upper div Anthro professor bc this class was a upper div bio elective (biological anthropology) Let me know and thanks for your help.

Others have told me to contact professors at SCCO to see if there are any volunteer/research opportunities, please let me know if this is a good idea and if anyone can help. Thanks you so much everyone.
 
FLCBRUIN84 said:
Hey EVERYONE!

I'll be finished up at UCLA after this year but I'm applying to optometry schools this summer. I will be taking the computerized OAT this August 20, 2006. My top choice is SCCO, by FAR!!

Here are my stats:

School: UCLA
Major: Biology
GPA: 2.8-3.0 depending on summer classes (most likely applying with high 2.9)
Experience:
Volunteer for 2 Optometry offices (2 SCCO ODs, 1 SUNY OD)
UCLA med center research associate
2 year medical practice assistant for UCLA Med School professors
UCLA jules stein eye institute volunteer
Started camp at UCLA for kids with cancer parents (got $40,000 grant and took off Summer 05)

I am taking an OAT review course (Kaplan) but I don't know what a competitive score for my LOW gpa should be. Please help me out and let me know what I should be targetting my scores at and if my chances are good of even getting in in the first with my gpa. Does SCCO even take lower than 3.0's?

1 more question: Of the three letters of rec, if only one is from a math professor, one from an optometrist and one from the doctors i work for, do you think that will work? Getting letters of rec from professors was REALLY hard for me! I can also get one from an upper div Anthro professor bc this class was a upper div bio elective (biological anthropology) Let me know and thanks for your help.

Others have told me to contact professors at SCCO to see if there are any volunteer/research opportunities, please let me know if this is a good idea and if anyone can help. Thanks you so much everyone.

I got accepted with 3.0 gpa and 350 OAT. I worked for OD for 3 years, but didn't do nearly as much volunteering as you did. I think you'll have a solid shot with 350 OAT. I don't remember if you have to have lor from science professor or just any class, you can call scco and ask. Like you, my gpa was weak, but I tried making the rest of my application solid as they consider the total package.
 
FLCBRUIN84 said:
Hey EVERYONE!

I'll be finished up at UCLA after this year but I'm applying to optometry schools this summer. I will be taking the computerized OAT this August 20, 2006. My top choice is SCCO, by FAR!!

Here are my stats:

School: UCLA
Major: Biology
GPA: 2.8-3.0 depending on summer classes (most likely applying with high 2.9)
Experience:
Volunteer for 2 Optometry offices (2 SCCO ODs, 1 SUNY OD)
UCLA med center research associate
2 year medical practice assistant for UCLA Med School professors
UCLA jules stein eye institute volunteer
Started camp at UCLA for kids with cancer parents (got $40,000 grant and took off Summer 05)

I am taking an OAT review course (Kaplan) but I don't know what a competitive score for my LOW gpa should be. Please help me out and let me know what I should be targetting my scores at and if my chances are good of even getting in in the first with my gpa. Does SCCO even take lower than 3.0's?

1 more question: Of the three letters of rec, if only one is from a math professor, one from an optometrist and one from the doctors i work for, do you think that will work? Getting letters of rec from professors was REALLY hard for me! I can also get one from an upper div Anthro professor bc this class was a upper div bio elective (biological anthropology) Let me know and thanks for your help.

Others have told me to contact professors at SCCO to see if there are any volunteer/research opportunities, please let me know if this is a good idea and if anyone can help. Thanks you so much everyone.

I think you're looking pretty good overall. SCCO admits a range of GPAs, and your extracurricular activities are very strong. As for OAT scores, you'll have to definetely score over 300 overall, which is do-able; Kaplan does help if you put the effort into it.

I don't think you need to contact any profs looking for a volunteer opportunity, because I've participated in numerous interviews where the candidates didn't have your background. You won't be at a disadvantage there.

As far as the letters of rec go. I suggest following whatever SCCO mandates, because they are sticklers for the policy. If you have a really strong non-professor letter, send it too. I sent an extra letter when I applied and it didn't seem to hurt my chances any.

Goodluck.