If your Asian, is it better to NOT specifiy your ethnicity on applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronaldo23

The Truth
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At the risk of being hurt by reverse-affirmative action, since Asians are an Over-Represented Minority, and I had heard that they often compete with each other with higher standards

Members don't see this ad.

Yup. Just wear a hispanic looking mask at the interview and you'll be golden.

Last name = dead giveaway

Members don't see this ad :)
probably negligible because if you were so close to the interview cutoff that race was the deciding factor, you probably wouldn't get in after the interview.

That's based on my strong impression that interviews are more for screening out than for moving people to the top of the list.

At the risk of being hurt by reverse-affirmative action, since Asians are an Over-Represented Minority, and I had heard that they often compete with each other with higher standards

Nope, obviously they would find out at the interview. Although, nip/tuck is all about changing appearances, christian troy:p

Yup. Just wear a hispanic looking mask at the interview and you'll be golden.
change your name to ricardo to complete the transformation

Well look... I don't think that your interviewer is going to write in his notes that he just interviewed an Asian pre-med. Obviously the interviewer will know your race, but no one else will.

The photo that many schools want as part of their secondary, however, is a different story.

If they don't have your photo & your last name isn't obvious (mine, for instance, is not) then I doubt the adcom would ever know your race unless you put it on paper yourself.

Last edited:
No one cares. :thumbdown:

From my understanding, there is no such thing as "reverse affirmative action". If there were, wouldn't Asians be less over-represented?

Not specifying your race will not help you more than putting Asian. :rolleyes:

If your Asian, is it better to NOT specifiy your ethnicity on applications?

well, MY asian personally hates putting his ethnicity on applications, but it is up to YOUR asian to decide.

/grammar nazi

to be honest, it doesn't really matter. you're going to get the bonus points for being disadvantaged (no matter what race you are/arenot), not for being one of the 'coveted' races. it just happens that more of the underrepresented folks are also disadvantaged...

There's no such thing as ORM, just URM. If you're not a URM, then you're on a level playing field. If you're a URM, then you get a boost (which is BS but that's another story).

Members don't see this ad :)

i think caucasian jews have more to worry about than you, silly boy.

this is a funny thread. being asian will not make or break you. being URM will not make or break you. just include in your application. they will find out sooner or later. by the way i am an ASIAN with a low GPA (breaking away from tradition, haha) and managed to do okay among the 'high standards'

change your name to ricardo to complete the transformation

I work for an undergraduate admissions office, and once a student applied with the name of a historically famous emperor. His essay was about the name change, and how he legally changed his name to avoid reverse discrimination against Asians. The entire office was in an uproar of laughter.

(Not revealing the actual name because it is .... distinctive, in case he were to see this in the future. But, imagine seeing an recc letter that says "Stalin II, previously Eu Won Chok, is a student in my history class...")

I work for an undergraduate admissions office, and once a student applied with the name of a historically famous emperor. His essay was about the name change, and how he legally changed his name to avoid reverse discrimination against Asians. The entire office was in an uproar of laughter.

(Not revealing the actual name because it is .... distinctive, in case he were to see this in the future. But, imagine seeing an recc letter that says "Stalin II, previously Eu Won Chok, is a student in my history class...")

HAHAH you have to be kidding me... I wonder how he dresses

Some people shoot themselves in the foot. Others like this genius here blow off their whole leg.

I choose not to reveal my ethnicity because I do not agree with gathering of ethnicity data except for medical purpose. I thought we are post-racial?

If you choose not to tell them, it's likely they can deduce it anyway from your last name and your photo (if required).

Don't focus on insignificant things like this that you can't change. If you have a good GPA/MCAT, ECs, personal statement and secondaries, it won't matter what race/ethnicity you belong to.

Agree with all of the abovementioned posters. And definitely triple check your applications for common mistakes like your vs. you're :)

I think the number of Asian students in Medical School answers your question.

When they say "Asians", does that also include South Asians and Middle Easterners?

Hmm in the MSAR, the numbers for Pakistanis and Indians are very small as compared to class size and other Asians. I really do not get why there would be any reverse discrimination against them in terms of numbers?

I think if there was open merit US medical schools will have 30-35%
South Asian students.
As I mentioned before in another post one of my friend was rejected from one of the Florida school accepting her friend with 29MCAT( her was 33 and GPA3.6). When she called the told her that they already had enough south Asian girls. Ethnicity question is definitely not to promote diversity.

South Asian students.
As I mentioned before in another post one of my friend was rejected from one of the Florida school accepting her friend with 29MCAT( her was 33 and GPA3.6). When she called the told her that they already had enough south Asian girls. Ethnicity question is definitely not to promote diversity.

how could they come right out and say that without getting sued?

the boyfriend & I affectionately refer to our school as "University of Beijing, [insert-our-city-name-here] Campus".

While the number of asians in medical school may be different than the percentage of the general population, it can't be that far off from their percentage of the university population..

I choose not to reveal my ethnicity because I do not agree with gathering of ethnicity data except for medical purpose. I thought we are post-racial?

someone lied to you

If your name is really ambiguous, like say Tyrone Lee or something, you can possibly get away with not putting it down. But for most other Asians, such as myself, the name's a bit of a giveaway, and yes, life is unfair.

But, a comment on this post (about undergrad admissions but still relevant) has some useful advice:
A bit of friendly advice for the Asians:

1. You should never, EVER talk about affirmative action in your application and/or interview...Admissions officers have allergic reactions to anything un-PC.

2. Although there is no explicit/implicit quota, many admissions officers have certain negative preconceived notions about an Asian applicant. Unfortunately, many - if not most - Asian applicants don't deviate too much from the stereotype. Smart Asian applicants can take advantage of this. Devote yourself to extracurricular activities which are typically devoid of Asians. If you are interested in music, pick up a guitar or become a composer. You are not helping yourself by picking up a violin or any other stereotypically Asian instrument. Pursue these classical instruments ONLY IF you are going to be good enough for prestigious conservatories. Instead of joining math/science teams, get involved with the poetry club, journalism, theater, cooking, etc. In general, be artsy and (at least seemingly) independent-minded. If you are an athlete, try to avoid tennis/badminton. Try football or other organized sports. If you are going to volunteer, try to avoid working at a hospital (screams premed) or go on church-sponsored missions. If your true passion is the violin/math/science/medicine, well… tough luck. Unless you are really, really good at what you do, you have to choose between your passion and Harvard.

3. #2 applies to your academics as well. If you attend a public school with an honors track, do not pick the combination of courses that will yield the highest weighted GPA. Chances are, there will be 10+ other applicants from your school who took the same classes. Take at least one or two classes per year that are atypical (and don't ncecessarily have the honors/AP designation). You may sacrifice your rank/GPA a bit, but you'll be infinitely more interesting.
To sum it up, if you are an Asian applicant, your job is to play against the stereotype. You want to be the "breath of fresh air" - a pleasant surprise. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have perfect numbers. But that's far less important than finding and presenting a unique voice.
So that's why I'm planning to play up my involvement in the school newspaper rather than other aspects of my resume that are a bit more ching-chong. And again, sure it's unfair, but you have to play the game. If you want to oppose the system, now ain't the time to do it; just vote Republican instead.

South Asian students.

She could sue if they in fact said that. I doubt they would.

If your name is really ambiguous, like say Tyrone Lee or something, you can possibly get away with not putting it down. But for most other Asians, such as myself, the name's a bit of a giveaway, and yes, life is unfair.

But, a comment on this post (about undergrad admissions but still relevant) has some useful advice:So that's why I'm planning to play up my involvement in the school newspaper rather than other aspects of my resume that are a bit more ching-chong. And again, sure it's unfair, but you have to play the game. If you want to oppose the system, now ain't the time to do it; just vote Republican instead.

Edit: To handy below and all others, I read the post wrong.

Not well said. my bad fellas.

Last edited:
After reading the post above, I always wonder why Asians tolerate negative stereotypes.

I was traveling with my girlfriend, and we were about to board a train.

the line was very long and a hobo looking person walked up near us, I think he was going to cut my line, so I put an eye on him

When the gate opened, he cutted in front of me. I hold my hand out, said, don't cut me, man.

He then proceed to tell me how I don't look like I am from this country and many racial slurs. I confronted him, did not back down, until I was lead away by passengers around me but I was ready to defend myself and my loved one.

On the train, I began to think long and hard.

My girlfriend is white, two passengers behind me were hispanic, the woman in front of me was black.

But out of all those people, he choose to cut me (the only asian that far ahead in line). Maybe because most Asian males he cutted in line before just took it? I don't know.

I called up my mom and told her about what happened, and she was hysterical. She was yelling about how I could get myself killed and telling me how I should run everytime things like this happen.

But running away from problems is precisely why I get them.

CLose your eyes and imagine, if the hobo called an african american man the N word, what would happen? Instead of running away, he would probably confront him about the injustice

My point is, maybe instead of trying to make us less "ching-chong", we shall take pride in our heritage. Have you ever heard of an African american person telling anoter African american person that they should not volunteer for the hood because it's to black to do such a thing and adcom will shun them? ridiculous.

My point is, maybe instead of trying to make us less "ching-chong", we shall take pride in our heritage. Have you ever heard of an African american person telling anoter African american person that they should not volunteer for the hood because it's to black to do such a thing and adcom will shun them? ridiculous.

I think I give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to race and while I don't think the phrasing was the best, I can see the point of the post. However, I would rather convince adcoms at an interview that I'm social and outgoing rather than going out of my way to avoid certain extracurriculars.

Hopefully the point being made earlier was that unique experiences are better than typical experiences, but I'm dissuaded by the implication that you should avoid things that you enjoy simply to appear better assimilated. A classical instrument, while common, is very different from a guitar. I wouldn't tell someone to learn chords just so that they can appear more American.

The argument that I quoted above, however, is a bit non sequitur. A parallel argument would be if someone told an Asian applicant not to volunteer at an Asian clinic, which no one has suggested.

Last edited:
I think I give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to race and while I don't think the phrasing was the best, I can see the point of the post. However, I would rather convince adcoms at an interview that I'm social and outgoing rather than going out of my way to avoid certain extracurriculars.

Hopefully the point being made earlier was that unique experiences are better than typical experiences, but I'm dissuaded by the implication that you should avoid things that you enjoy simply to appear better assimilated. A classical instrument, while common, is very different from a guitar. I wouldn't tell someone to learn chords just so that they can appear more American.

The argument that I quoted above, however, is a bit non sequitur. A parallel argument would be if someone told an Asian applicant not to volunteer at an Asian clinic, which no one has suggested.

I second this. I'm half Asian (dad=Filipino, mom=Irish/Slovak) and I have been playing piano (presumably a typical "Asian instrument") since I was five. In fact, I went to a magnet high school specifically for music. I love it, and use piano as a way to express myself, relieve stress, and even volunteer.

Also note, classical is a style, not an instrument. Violin is called a fiddle when its used in country or jazz, but its the same thing. There exists classical guitar just as there is rock guitar. Piano can be jazz, pop, rock, etc. as well as classical.

Learn an instrument you love (or, pursue any EC that you enjoy, regardless of the percentage of Asians), and your passion for it will set you apart! : )

After reading the post above, I always wonder why Asians tolerate negative stereotypes.

I was traveling with my girlfriend, and we were about to board a train.

the line was very long and a hobo looking person walked up near us, I think he was going to cut my line, so I put an eye on him

When the gate opened, he cutted in front of me. I hold my hand out, said, don't cut me, man.

He then proceed to tell me how I don't look like I am from this country and many racial slurs. I confronted him, did not back down, until I was lead away by passengers around me but I was ready to defend myself and my loved one.

On the train, I began to think long and hard.

My girlfriend is white, two passengers behind me were hispanic, the woman in front of me was black.

But out of all those people, he choose to cut me (the only asian that far ahead in line). Maybe because most Asian males he cutted in line before just took it? I don't know.

I called up my mom and told her about what happened, and she was hysterical. She was yelling about how I could get myself killed and telling me how I should run everytime things like this happen.

But running away from problems is precisely why I get them.

CLose your eyes and imagine, if the hobo called an african american man the N word, what would happen? Instead of running away, he would probably confront him about the injustice

are you serious??

he "picked" you because you stuck your arm out, gave him the stink eye, and told him "no cutsies."

sure he was wrong to sling racial slurs, but jesus christ dude... you initiated, so what did you expect from a hobo on a train??

are you serious??

he "picked" you because you stuck your arm out, gave him the stink eye, and told him "no cutsies."

sure he was wrong to sling racial slurs, but jesus christ dude... you initiated, so what did you expect from a hobo on a train??

so there was a line.

and he inserted himself between me and the person in front of me.

then I put out my arm.

I am sure I initiated that.

Also note, classical is a style, not an instrument. Violin is called a fiddle when its used in country or jazz, but its the same thing. There exists classical guitar just as there is rock guitar. Piano can be jazz, pop, rock, etc. as well as classical.
I feel learned now. On the other hand, I don't even know how to correct my post... "a traditionally classical instrument"? "an instrument traditionally used for classical music"? :(

I feel learned now. On the other hand, I don't even know how to correct my post... "a traditionally classical instrument"? "an instrument traditionally used for classical music"? :(

Well, if you think about it, classical generally describes the first type of music that was played on the instrument. Of course, by that logic, all instruments would be traditionally classical instruments. Unless you were to distinguish between acoustic and electric guitar, which you could definitely argue was first widely heard in blues music. Also maybe the synthesizer, which was popularized in the 60s (the first really commercial one was the Moog, which was first used in a recording by the Monkees).

I guess piano and violin usually get classified as 'classical' because they aren't universally used in contemporary rock, whereas most rock bands certainly have a guitar, electric bass, and drums (which is probably why they aren't seen as 'classical').

so there was a line.

and he inserted himself between me and the person in front of me.

then I put out my arm.

I am sure I initiated that.

you put out your arm, and told him not to cut you. this is why he chose to interact with you and not the other people around you.

unless you are saying that he chose you, out of this glorious schmorgasboard of minorities... because he somehow felt you, as an asian, were weaker? i think you need to get a grip and and not be so quick to play that card dude.

you put out your arm, and told him not to cut you. this is why he chose to interact with you and not the other people around you.

unless you are saying that he chose you, out of this glorious schmorgasboard of minorities... because he somehow felt you, as an asian, were weaker? i think you need to get a grip and and not be so quick to play that card dude.

Well, nobody else need to really interact with him because he's cutting directly in front of me. He could have cut in front of anyone else, and I would not have to deal with him at all.

Never been cut before in your life? Kinda surprised how much you are reacting to this. Don't you have to study biochem/physio/anatomy/path whatever that's going on.

yeah. when i was in 3rd grade. i got over it. :thumbup:

South Asian students.

Wow that's ridiculously blunt. I mean I always assumed that medical schools did that, but I figured they would atleast come up with a better reason than that to tell the applicant....

I work with a doctor who literally will only accept you into his fellowship program if you are Asian and female. This is a top NYC program. He converses with a lot of other doctors in different departments who go over applications to make sure their name is Asian... so I think Asians are ok when it comes to the whole reverse discrimination thing. :rolleyes:
I literally felt so bad this was going on that I created a spreadsheet about the accomplisments of each applicant (based on what he said was important to him). He then went on to chose the only Asian applicant even though she was unqualified. He made sure to ask his Asian colleague to confirm the last name was Asian before he made a final decision.:laugh:

I quit that week :D

I think Asians are ok when it comes to the whole reverse discrimination thing. :rolleyes:
Yeah. If you're Asian AND female.

I also think it's hella creepy that he does that when he's not even Asian.

Don't his colleagues think it's odd behavior? I'm assuming that the fellowship applications don't include their mugshot?

Last edited:
in conclusion if your a guy an pining for med school, and happen to have a non-anglo name or an androgynous anglo name, the safest advice is to slip pics of female+asian+hot in your applications, and refer to yourself as "HER" and "SHE" in your essays, and convince your references that you identify as a transitioning woman.

:thumbup:

otherwise you'll be treated like everyone else.

this is so lame. step your game up.