If your interview response wasnt enough, will the interviewer continue to prompt you for more?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hzreio

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or will they just move on and penalize you for it?

Because I hear a lot about needing to be succinct in answers. Obviously if you're too succinct this could be bad too. So would you get cues from your interviewers that you need more or would they not even bother? What is the appropriate amount of time you should be talking for? Obviously anything above 4 minutes in a response is probably too long?

Members don't see this ad.

While interviewers do sometimes have a criteria or even guidelines on questions that they have to follow, they are also-believe it or not-human beings with their own way of doing things. This question is impossible to answer as a rule of thumb. I've had interviewers look through the list of questions that they are MEANT to ask me and go "uuuhhhh I don't like any of these questions, lemme think of another"

My advice is to get out of this mindset that there is a one size fits all approach when it comes to interviews. Be observant and engaged in the discussion and decide for yourself whether your answer is sufficient or not. Some may ask you to elaborate, some may cut you off, some may sit stone-faced and nod. Overthinking what any of that means is sure to end up in you shooting yourself in the foot.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Or will they just move on and penalize you for it?

Because I hear a lot about needing to be succinct in answers. Obviously if you're too succinct this could be bad too. So would you get cues from your interviewers that you need more or would they not even bother? What is the appropriate amount of time you should be talking for? Obviously anything above 4 minutes in a response is probably too long?
This will 100% depend upon the question, the answer and the interviewer. Context is everything and a succinct answer can be fine. Most questioners, when they ask you about something, and to use the example I already gave you ("The Raiders moving to Las Vegas, is that a good thing?") is usually asked like this:
"The Raiders moving to Las Vegas, is that a good thing or a bad thing, and why?"

Just don't be a babbling idiot

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! In my experience, they would ask a question, and then take whatever my response was as a springboard for further questions. Obviously they tend to have certain questions that they absolutely want to ask, so they won't chase you down a particular rabbit hole forever, but they will definitely ask follow-ups if they feel like you are getting at something important. For example, I got asked what activity I'd done was most important to me, and after I answered they followed up with how I saw that activity translating into medicine if at all. After I answered that, they jumped to something else entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:
While interviewers do sometimes have a criteria or even guidelines on questions that they have to follow, they are also-believe it or not-human beings with their own way of doing things. This question is impossible to answer as a rule of thumb. I've had interviewers look through the list of questions that they are MEANT to ask me and go "uuuhhhh I don't like any of these questions, lemme think of another"

My advice is to get out of this mindset that there is a one size fits all approach when it comes to interviews. Be observant and engaged in the discussion and decide for yourself whether your answer is sufficient or not. Some may ask you to elaborate, some may cut you off, some may sit stone-faced and nod. Overthinking what any of that means is sure to end up in you shooting yourself in the foot.
This^^^^^. Your question implies that there is a correct response to a question, that the interviewer NEEDS it, that you have it, and that he will work as hard as he has to in order to get it from you. :cool:

As everyone else has said or implied, the interview is an interactive experience, and you are being judged based on how you interact. Period. There is no rule of thumb, other than to try to be adept at picking up on nonverbal as well as verbal cues (much easier said than done!), and to try to engage and forge a connection with the interviewer. Succinct might be perfect if the question and the interviewer calls for it; other times it could be fatal. Rambling is rarely good! A natural conversation that flows back and forth, similar though more formal than with friends, is what you are shooting for. Ultimately, the goal is to impress with your intellect while getting them to like you as a person. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
This^^^^^. Your question implies that there is a correct response to a question, that the interviewer NEEDS it, that you have it, and that he will work as hard as he has to in order to get it from you. :cool:

As everyone else has said or implied, the interview is an interactive experience, and you are being judged based on how you interact. Period. There is no rule of thumb, other than to try to be adept at picking up on nonverbal as well as verbal cues (much easier said than done!), and to try to engage and forge a connection with the interviewer. Succinct might be perfect if the question and the interviewer calls for it; other times it could be fatal. Rambling is rarely good! A natural conversation that flows back and forth, similar though more formal than with friends, is what you are shooting for. Ultimately, the goal is to impress with your intellect while getting them to like you as a person. Nothing more, nothing less.

This. Interviews are very much can you read a room and can you sell yourself effectively. Is your interviewer jovial or serious? Can you at least halfway match it while keeping formal and friendly. Can you answer questions in a way that builds upon the brand in your resume and shows your background and skills can apply to your future career? This is why those mock interviews schools host tend to be so important.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutors
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
If you only answer in one short sentence, you might get a follow-up question. If you respond with a short sentence, you may not get another follow-up question but you might be marked down thusly, "like pulling teeth to get a response from this one."

On the other hand, if you respond with a 15 minute "essay" to an initial warm up question, you may not get a follow-up question on that but you will be marked down as someone who did not let the interviewer get a word in edgewise.

Thank you all for the insight! Basically from what I'm gathering, don't be weird/have common sense. Who knew such a simple concept could be so intimidating haha

Reactions: 4 users