Ignore Afirmative Action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by Tuesday Weld
The government isn't in the same hands as it was fifty years ago...even those people have long been gone. The "American Government" of today is not the "American Government" of five decades ago.

If you wanted to hold governments accountable from the past, then you could do the same with the African countries that *sold* the slaves in the first place.

Also, as far as "retributions" are concerned...what about WELFARE ? African-Americans have gained more from welfare, in proportion to their population, than any other group of people. A higher percentage of African-Americans have received welfare over the years....that is "payback" directly from the Government.

Payback? Have you had a cheese sandwich made from government cheese? It's disgusting!!! Also we still haven't received our 40 acres and a mule yet!:laugh:

And by the way, markets are driven by buyers NOT suppliers. No purchaser no product to be sold. Just think about drugs...........

Members don't see this ad.

well, garibaldo and others, i am going to have to simply agree to disagree. we have very different ideas about the way the world does and should operate.
for example, i do believe in racial categorization, at least until the effects of previous such categorizations are not as glaring a problem in our society!
blacks today as a whole must deal with those effects, even if they did not cause them, and so i do not think it is unfair or discriminatory, even if a white person's ancestor may have been anti-slavery, whatever~ my point is, statistically it is fair to the most people to allow retributive action to continue.
i suppose i'm a bit utilitarian.

also, it's true that i've seen no one argue pathdr's point that asians should probably respresent a far greater percentage of med school classes than they now do. my point in bringing this up is just to show that peoples' ideas of fairness often only extend as far as is relevant to their well-being . . .correct me if i'm wrong on this. ;)

finally: i thought this was clear, but the government *as an institution* is the same. that's why people can resort to pleas to the constitution, the founding fathers, etc. when debating so many topics. it's a belief in the stability and constancy of our government-that it is not composed of simply the human beings who are in office, but has a broader and less transient character.

and, welfare is irrelevant. it's not a race-based policy and never was. it's not what's being discussed here. if you really don't understand, i can clarify- don't want you to think i'm blowing off your point! it's just thematically pretty irrelevant to the discussion.

ok, gonna go study. that's more than enough from me!

Originally posted by Garibaldo
Here's an affirmative action thread where he has been defending against any anti-AA arguements. Your bias is obvious, so don't pretend.

FYI, opportunity and Affirmative Action are NOT one in the same. I support DIVERSITY and affirmative action does not address diversity all that well. For example, I'm the one of about 10 minority fellows at an institute with over 500. A commitment to diversity I imagine would at least double this number.

Members don't see this ad :)
also, it's true that i've seen no one argue pathdr's point that asians should probably respresent a far greater percentage of med school classes than they now do. my point in bringing this up is just to show that peoples' ideas of fairness often only extend as far as is relevant to their well-being . . .correct me if i'm wrong on this.
Care Bear,

I'm not sure what you mean by the above statement. Because I'm not Asian, yet I agree that there should be more of them in medical school. I think that way not because I like Asians more than non-Asians, but because it's only fair if they are getting higher grades and scores, then they should be given the med school seats accordingly.

Also, slavery has been over since the 1800's. Why haven't african americans gotten together and sue the u.s. ? What's holding you back from a lawsuit?

Originally posted by pathdr2b
1) I also notice that people's stance on this issue appears to change once they're admitted to medical school and it seems to become an "issue to ignore".

3) Will someone please address the issue of Asians having the best stats and therefore "deserve" most of the seats in medical school.

What does point #1 have to do with anything? Of course, people are going to act in their interests and devote their finite time/energy to the most relevant issues for them at that particular time. This is completely independent from the legitimacy of AA.

Again, what are you trying to prove in point #3? No one is advocating that seats be distributed in perfect accordance with stats. What the majority of the American people are saying, however, is this: An Asian with a better application should not lose his seat to a URM because of race only. But this is exactly what "race plus" does. The few extra points that race gives will *necessarily* put a URM above someone else because of race alone.

The more I read both sides of the argument (at least as presented on SDN), the more I realize that the Pro-AA side is in desperate need of more articulate people.

If I was to play devil's advocate and argue for maintaining AA as it is, the only card (but a powerful one at that) that I could possibly play without feeling foolish is the "racial diversity is more important to society than true meritocracy" one.

"Liberals think conservatives are evil. Conservatives think liberals are stupid." - Wise man

Originally posted by geneman
The more I read both sides of the argument (at least as presented on SDN), the more I realize that the Pro-AA side is in desperate need of more articulate people.
:laugh:

tis a shame i've retired from these discussions :p

Originally posted by DW
:laugh:

tis a shame i've retired from these discussions :p

Like Michael Jordan, I retired from them but just couldn't resist the urge to come back. However, also like Jordan, I think it was a mistake. :)

PS - You're not pro-AA in that you know it needs to be reformed.

If I was to play devil's advocate and argue for maintaining AA as it is, the only card (but a powerful one at that) that I could possibly play without feeling foolish is the "racial diversity is more important to society than true meritocracy" one.

Actually, the last argument is the one I would make. I think the idea of retribution is not only too hard to make, but the US government is too inconsistent in applying it. And if we were to talk retribution, the AA is a rather crappy way for the government to right its wrongs.

But then again, I don't think the argument that racial diversity is more important than a true meritocracy is good either, because med school admissions aren't a true meritocracy as it is anyway, even excluding AA. Neither are college admissions in general. I would say that diversity (racial, socioeconomic or whatever) is good for education in itself and should be preserved in admissions processes.

Admissions to anything is such a crap shoot though, but I can't imagine that an admissions committee would confidently reject an applicant that they think would be a good fit for their program in favor for a URM who may not be a good fit just for the sake of diversity.

And I'm sad that I'm not considered articulate! I thought I made some good, yet woefully overlooked, points! :(

i dont know why i'm getting involved with this :rolleyes:
i would really appreciate it those anti-AA's could get back to me on each one of my positions:

1) AA isnt about reparations its about representation.
I think there are a number of misperceptions floating around AA especially as it pertains to med school admissions. But I think these misperceptions stem from misperceptions about the relationship between society and medicine. First, and I think this is a point many pre-meds fail to fully appreciate, medical education isnt about taking the best and the brightest, its about doing what good for the society at large. A doctor's primary responsibility is to serve his patients. Those folks who are in charge of medical education are in a unique position to look after the long term well-beings of the overall patient population - i.e. society. The point I'm making is that for the same reason that med schools dont want to churn out doctors who have problems relating to people (after all its not to society's benefit to have doctors who they dont feel comfortable with), choosing who becomes a physician isnt about taking the best and the brightest, its about choosing those who can best serve the community.
I believe we can all agree that racism and discrimination still exist today - perhaps we disagree as to its extent, but we all acknowledge that its out there. I believe that its precisely because of this societal problem that we need AA. Racism in general is an expression of a deep seated mistrust of one race for another. Given that society at large still has some level of racism, it is natural that when a black patient meets a white doctor he does not feel as comfortable as he could if he had a black doctor. Keep in mind that medicine is about doing whats best for the patient and if the race of the doctor matters to the patient (even though it shouldnt) then in keeping with its creed to do whats best for the patient, medicine should police itself to see that more doctors of a given race are created. Whenever people mention one race relating better to the same race - usually blacks relating to blacks, someone always brings up "because of things like Tuskegee..." IMO this misses the point. Its not about medicine and doctors. Its about society at large: when patients come to doctors with an entire slew of perceptions and fears - one of the most insidious is the paranoia of racism. Due to the particular nature of racism, it aggressively undermines the feeling of trust that should exist between a patient and his doctors. This is why I think the URM designation is appropriate - it suggests that there is a level of black/hispanic/native american representation that society needs to see in its doctors. ORMs - simply put there are more asians in medicine than suits society's need, cut down on the number of asian admissions to med school. Gays and lesbians arent adequately representated in medicine... increase their numbers. Poor folks arent adequately representated... well, increase their numbers. As I see it, AA is merely an extension of a general understanding to match the diversity of society (the endgame patient population).

2) AA does not create "inferior" doctors.
My second point is AA doesnt ipso facto create inferior doctors. Minority doctors still pass the same standard licensing exams and have to pass all the same classes that white doctors do. Its not as if on the USMLE a computer says - oh Michael Jordan, sounds like a black guy, we've got a special scoring system for you. Or as if the teachers all go... well Jose over here didnt pass the final exam, but we can just overlook that, wink wink. Once in med school, minorities are held to the same standard that everyone else is - so in what way dont they deserve to be there? because their MCAT/GPA stats werent high enough? They sure seem to be doing fine.

To sum this up, this is the way I look at med school admissions:
There are many more applicants than seats.
This requires some sort of admissions bar. Set the bar high enough that the number of qualified applicants meet the number of seats. But wait - fewer blacks and hispanics than we need are getting in... so lets lower the bar for them. At the same time, more asians are getting in than we need... ok so raise the bar for those guys. Simply put its a process of supply and demand where med schools can shift the demand curve such that an appropriate number of minorities are recruited. What is the appropriate number? Well the composition of an incoming med school class should match the composition of the community that school serves...

Dam this is so creative. Let me get this straight, having a different opinion confers ignorance :confused:

OK, if you say so:rolleyes:

PS-you know there's some Asian student out ther wondering how in the hell YOU got their seat in medical school:laugh:

Originally posted by DarkChild
Well the composition of an incoming med school class should match the composition of the community that school serves...

Sounds good to me!

Once in med school, minorities are held to the same standard that everyone else is - so in what way dont they deserve to be there? because their MCAT/GPA stats werent high enough? They sure seem to be doing fine.

ok, but why not the same standard in undergrad. The point of AA in undergrad is to level the playing field. That's the extent of it, which makes sense. But why continue it to professional school, then hiring practices. At what level is the playing field equal and they are held to the same standard. So anyways, how cold was it yesterday?? I can't take this **** much longer

later

Once in med school, minorities are held to the same standard that everyone else is - so in what way dont they deserve to be there? because their MCAT/GPA stats werent high enough? They sure seem to be doing fine.

What Darkchild, didn't you hear? There's AA test in medical school which helps you to pass the AA USMLE's. Then you get into an AA residency. From there, you marry a liberal AA person and move into an AA house in an AA neighborhood. Perhaps after you pay your student loans off, you can buy an AA BMW, but make it a low rider with chrome wheels 'cause you know how we URM's like to do it!!!

Well, I guess I'd better get back to my AA job now:laugh: :laugh: but can anyone help me get a 42T on my AA MCAT in April?

Members don't see this ad :)
What Darkchild, didn't you hear? There's AA test in medical school which helps you to pass the AA USMLE's. Then you get into an AA residency. From there, you marry a liberal AA person and move into an AA house in an AA neighborhood. Perhaps after you pay your student loans off, you can but an AA BMW, but make it a low rider with chrome wheels 'cause you know how we URM's like to do it!!!

Well, I guess I'd better get back to my AA job now:laugh: :laugh: but can anyone help me get a 42T on my AA MCAT in April?

sittin on 20s, with the top back....so much money, you can't stop that.

And when did this STOP being the school's decision. It's like this d*mn smoking ban the Dallas city council has just put in place. Why should my smoking a cigarette bother you, and if it does WHY NOT GO SOMEWHERE ELSE? It's up to the restaurant's owner to make that decision, to go smoking and nonsmoking or just nonsmoking. If you don't like smoke at all, go to a completely nonsmoking restaurant. Same applies here, stop b*tching and moaning about this process, in the end it's not up to you. If you don't like a particular school's admission screening policy, then guess what DON'T ENDORSE THEM BY APPLYING. And if not applying throws off your life plan, then stop crying and apply. What do you think, that the discrimination ends once you get your license and slip on that white coat? Please, that's when you really start taking in the wood! Your going to find out that, where you practice, the success of your practice, your perceived competence, most of the factors that make you MARKETABLE, are based INITIALLY on some things you can't control. So suck it up, people taking advantage of AA should know that Medicine is still a good OLE boys club. Yes, it's gotten better, more diverse (OHHHHHH did I just say the D word). But getting into medical school won't guarantee you will pass the boards, get your license and get an offer from a competitive group. And a few things you should know, 400 really superior applicants applying for 180 seats, what do you think the ball breaker is? Ah, yes the squirmy, tense, making you feel as small as possible INTERVIEW. Now answer me this, do you honestly think that NO PREFERENCE (with things you can't control) exist from the Interviewing ADCOM member?! If you honestly think NO, you are a complete *****. So lets move on from all of this. And this whole AA being a bandage for a historically racist wound..LOL get a life. Dude, whatever your smoking, pass it over b/c you found some of that hard to get good ****! Your comment would have us to believe that racism is a thing of the past, and it most certainly is not my friend. Anyway, later

Originally posted by MacGyver
If the institutions/govt are all run by the evil white man, then why are you so anxious to run to them for an answer for all social problems?

ok sarcasm aside....the white man is not evil.

i am shadowing two extremely helpful, touching, loving doctors today....i call them my blessings...and yes their skin happens to be white and i wouldn't change that for the world.

Originally posted by LoveDoc
i am shadowing two extremely helpful, touching, loving doctors today....i call them my blessings...and yes their skin happens to be white and i wouldn't change that for the world.

I know what you mean, 99.9% of the supporters of my "dream" throughtout my lifetime have also been white men and continue to be so today. Now, if there were more Black doctors/scientists maybe then.....................................................

Better yet, how many ORM's out there have URM mentors?

MacGyver said that, I'm actually surprised:eek:

why are you surprised?

I usually agree with MacGyver. Wouldn't think an ignorant remark like that would emerge.

guess i know which side of the fence you're on...

being from texas, i guess that means you're a bush-fan too...

great.

no point in discussing the issue then...your mind is made up..."i will follow my leader...straight into the firey gates of hell"

i dont know why i'm getting involved with this :rolleyes:
i would really appreciate it those anti-AA's could get back to me on each one of my positions:

1) AA isnt about reparations its about representation.
I think there are a number of misperceptions floating around AA especially as it pertains to med school admissions. But I think these misperceptions stem from misperceptions about the relationship between society and medicine. First, and I think this is a point many pre-meds fail to fully appreciate, medical education isnt about taking the best and the brightest, its about doing what good for the society at large. A doctor's primary responsibility is to serve his patients. Those folks who are in charge of medical education are in a unique position to look after the long term well-beings of the overall patient population - i.e. society. The point I'm making is that for the same reason that med schools dont want to churn out doctors who have problems relating to people (after all its not to society's benefit to have doctors who they dont feel comfortable with), choosing who becomes a physician isnt about taking the best and the brightest, its about choosing those who can best serve the community.
I believe we can all agree that racism and discrimination still exist today - perhaps we disagree as to its extent, but we all acknowledge that its out there. I believe that its precisely because of this societal problem that we need AA. Racism in general is an expression of a deep seated mistrust of one race for another. Given that society at large still has some level of racism, it is natural that when a black patient meets a white doctor he does not feel as comfortable as he could if he had a black doctor. Keep in mind that medicine is about doing whats best for the patient and if the race of the doctor matters to the patient (even though it shouldnt) then in keeping with its creed to do whats best for the patient, medicine should police itself to see that more doctors of a given race are created. Whenever people mention one race relating better to the same race - usually blacks relating to blacks, someone always brings up "because of things like Tuskegee..." IMO this misses the point. Its not about medicine and doctors. Its about society at large: when patients come to doctors with an entire slew of perceptions and fears - one of the most insidious is the paranoia of racism. Due to the particular nature of racism, it aggressively undermines the feeling of trust that should exist between a patient and his doctors. This is why I think the URM designation is appropriate - it suggests that there is a level of black/hispanic/native american representation that society needs to see in its doctors. ORMs - simply put there are more asians in medicine than suits society's need, cut down on the number of asian admissions to med school. Gays and lesbians arent adequately representated in medicine... increase their numbers. Poor folks arent adequately representated... well, increase their numbers. As I see it, AA is merely an extension of a general understanding to match the diversity of society (the endgame patient population).

2) AA does not create "inferior" doctors.
My second point is AA doesnt ipso facto create inferior doctors. Minority doctors still pass the same standard licensing exams and have to pass all the same classes that white doctors do. Its not as if on the USMLE a computer says - oh Michael Jordan, sounds like a black guy, we've got a special scoring system for you. Or as if the teachers all go... well Jose over here didnt pass the final exam, but we can just overlook that, wink wink. Once in med school, minorities are held to the same standard that everyone else is - so in what way dont they deserve to be there? because their MCAT/GPA stats werent high enough? They sure seem to be doing fine.

To sum this up, this is the way I look at med school admissions:
There are many more applicants than seats.
This requires some sort of admissions bar. Set the bar high enough that the number of qualified applicants meet the number of seats. But wait - fewer blacks and hispanics than we need are getting in... so lets lower the bar for them. At the same time, more asians are getting in than we need... ok so raise the bar for those guys. Simply put its a process of supply and demand where med schools can shift the demand curve such that an appropriate number of minorities are recruited. What is the appropriate number? Well the composition of an incoming med school class should match the composition of the community that school serves...

About the representation point, that is your philosophy. You believe that, in medicine, the demographic makeup of physicians should match that of society. (As an aside, to what other areas of life would you extend this idea or, rather, what areas would you *not* extend this?) Too many Asians? Raise the bar. Too few Hispanics? Lower the bar.

I cannot say, in an absolute sense, that this is philosophy is wrong (just as Americans cannot say that our capitalism is "better" than Europe's version), but I think history has proven that this sort of tinkering from above is a flawed approach (e.g., Communism). PS - Your representation idea presents AA in its rawest form, which even the most staunch of AA supporters would cringe at.

About the inferiority point, you might be correct. Let's assume you are and that AA does not create inferior doctors. Unfortunately, there are a limited number of medical school seats. A system that takes a person who is considered "GOOD" instead of someone who is considered "GREAT", by itself, does not create incompetent doctors. However, the system clearly does not maximize the talent available to it.

To get into less theoretical terms, healthcare suffers because we took good doctors and not great doctors. (To pre-empt what I know you are going to say, because you've said it 90 times before: "High stats doesn't mean good doctors." As I've responded before, then your goal should be to find better measurements of predicting good doctors, not implementing AA.)

=====

I've taken the time to answer your points. Now I ask for a thoughtful response to mine (please, no more run-on sentences):

1. What's wrong with the idea of finding race-neutral methods of promoting diversity?

2. Why don't we apply AA to the National Basketbal Association? Since blacks only make up ~15% of the population, we can raise the bar real high for them and only allow in a proportional number. This should boost the number of whites, Asians, etc. to a fair amount that resembles community that the NBA serves. Heck, if we feel really ambitious, we can make half of the league women! So long as everyone is "qualified" and pass a certain standard, they deserve to be in there just as much as anyone else.

3. Do you believe that it is proper for US citizens to pay prices many times higher than in other countries for the same drugs (i.e., price discrimination), in effect limiting citizen's access to drugs in the US that would have otherwise been available elsewhere?

1) Keep in mind that medicine is about doing whats best for the patient and if the race of the doctor matters to the patient (even though it shouldnt) then in keeping with its creed to do whats best for the patient, medicine should police itself to see that more doctors of a given race are created.

So lets assume that I'm a member of an adcom from a largely rural midwest state med school. Now everyone isn't as cultured as the people here on SDN, the people of this fine state still hold certain stereotypes of different races. So these patients are only comfortable with white docs. Now I have quite a dilema. Do I still admit people of all races and hope that as extrodinary individuals that they can find ways to establish trust with their patients and break stereotypes in this state? Or should I only admit white applicants so I can be sure that every patient is comfortable?

1. What's wrong with the idea of finding race-neutral methods of promoting diversity?

I think this is an oxymoron

2. Why don't we apply AA to the National Basketbal Association? Since blacks only make up ~15% of the population, we can raise the bar real high for them and only allow in a proportional number. This should boost the number of whites, Asians, etc. to a fair amount that resembles community that the NBA serves. Heck, if we feel really ambitious, we can make half of the league women! So long as everyone is "qualified" and pass a certain standard, they deserve to be in there just as much as anyone else.?

Since the overwhelming majority of owners AND coaches are white, this should be easy. Opps, I'm sorry but I think they want to WIN:laugh: :laugh: While we're at it lets get AA in the NFL too. Although I don't think the "view" from the rear would be the same:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by SistaKaren
But then again, I don't think the argument that racial diversity is more important than a true meritocracy is good either, because med school admissions aren't a true meritocracy as it is anyway, even excluding AA.

And I'm sad that I'm not considered articulate! I thought I made some good, yet woefully overlooked, points! :(

Sorry, didn't mean to generalize that much. You (SistaKaren) seem to be quite reasonable and willing to understand both sides. And your posts are easy to read.

Back to substance...

Admissions isn't a perfect meritocracy, but that doesn't mean we throw meritocracy out the window. Just the opposite, we devise ways to make it as close to ideal as possible -- not implement devices (i.e., AA) that irreparably alter the system from meritocracy to monster-tocracy.

Dam this is so creative. Let me get this straight, having a different opinion confers ignorance :confused:

You'll be surprised -- many, if not most, opinions are ignorant. Unfortunately, many people try to protect themselves from [constructive] criticism by labeling their statements opinions. e.g., "Everyone has their own opinion, and yours is no better than mine." or "Everyone's opinions are equal." Not really.

Since the overwhelming majority of owners AND coaches are white, this should be easy. Opps, I'm sorry but I think they want to WIN:laugh: :laugh:

I think in your zeal to poke fun at white athletes, you just revealed the fallacy of AA. Good job, Watson.

I think in your zeal to poke fun at white athletes, you just revealed the fallacy of AA. Good job, Watson.

Why thank you Crick ( Ok, this is a Watson and Crick joke, get it?)I've never said there was or was not a fallacy with AA. I've NEVER read the original legislation so without any real knowlegde of what it says, I can't comment intelligently. But IMHO, neither can any else which is why I say IGNORE AFFIRMATIVE ACTION.

PS- When blacks are admitted to medical school, the health of society wins. If there were more white guys in the NBA, the team may lose but society's health is not affected (unless they act like Wilt Chamberlin;) )

Geneman, as requested. (Trying my best to avoid run-ons)
1) How can you have race neutral means for increasing diversity? Race is part and parcel of diversity.

2) Athletics in general is about promoting and extolling the best performers at all cost. In athletics, in stark contrast to medicine, the focus is on the athlete, the individual. Who can run the fastest, jump the highest, swim the fastest etc. Race doesnt matter then, its all about the best of the best. Medicine on the other hand, IMO is not. Its about taking care of people. First and foremost a patient needs to be able to trust his doctor. That trust cant exist in a society which still bears the vestiges of racial segregation. It is in society's best interest for its doctors to share the same racial profile.
Here's another point, one which I raised on another thread and which went ignored: The guys who would be "great" doctors still get in to medical school. The true standouts arent affected by AA - folks with 42Ts and solid overall applications arent going to get short changed. Maybe the guy who scored a 27 is going to get beat out by a minority with a 23. I believe this is an acceptable trade-off. While the 27 white guy might be a better doctor than the 23 URM, he wont be great - at least compared to the 42T. So what if the weaker folks get picked off and replaced with a URM? In the bigger picture its a win-win. Society still keeps the folks who would be great doctors while increasing diversity.
As a disclaimer: please note that I am simplifying the picture and using MCAT scores as a proxy to facilitate a comparison.

3) Errr.. I really dont understand this point.

=====

I've taken the time to answer your points. Now I ask for a thoughtful response to mine (please, no more run-on sentences):

2. Why don't we apply AA to the National Basketbal Association? Since blacks only make up ~15% of the population, we can raise the bar real high for them and only allow in a proportional number. This should boost the number of whites, Asians, etc. to a fair amount that resembles community that the NBA serves. Heck, if we feel really ambitious, we can make half of the league women! So long as everyone is "qualified" and pass a certain standard, they deserve to be in there just as much as anyone else.

3. Do you believe that it is proper for US citizens to pay prices many times higher than in other countries for the same drugs (i.e., price discrimination), in effect limiting citizen's access to drugs in the US that would have otherwise been available elsewhere?

Diversity is important, except when it comes down to my sports team. I don't want qualified quarterbacks. I want the best damn quarterback there is.

Medicine? Yeah, of course we can use qualified doctors. Peoples? health isn't as important as football.

Originally posted by gipper
guess i know which side of the fence you're on...

being from texas, i guess that means you're a bush-fan too...

great.

no point in discussing the issue then...your mind is made up..."i will follow my leader...straight into the firey gates of hell"

Gipper, please are you on something? Once again, pass it over..haha To answer your question, or presumptuous insult rather. No, I'M NOT A BUSH FAN, AND I DON'T SUBSCRIBE TO ANY FOLLOW THE LEADER PROPAGANDA. And if you really wanted to know what side of the fence I'm on, then you should look up my past posts. Nothing gets on my nerves worse then people putting words in my mouth. That's 2nd only to unnecessary tax cuts, and the prolific squandering of the "former" surplus. And it's kind of ignorant for you to assume that just b/c I'm a Texan (very proud of it) that I blindly follow Bush or the republican party. Did you know that Texas has always traditionally been a DEMOCRATIC state. And only recently have republicans taken control of our legislative government. But what can I say, Party switching is the new "name of the game," and with the popularity of President Bush, it looks better to have an R next to your name on the Ballot, then a D or I. Sad really....... :confused: wait, I forgot I was mad at your remark. Anyway, yeah don't put words in my mouth. :cool:

and... you missed the point entirely.
if minorities cant open up and arent comfortable with their doctors and feel that their doctors cant relate to them - you can be the best damn doctor in the world and it wont make a difference.
Originally posted by Ryo-Ohki
Diversity is important, except when it comes down to my sports team. I don't want qualified quarterbacks. I want the best damn quarterback there is.

Medicine? Yeah, of course we can use qualified doctors. Peoples? health isn't as important as football.

and... you missed the point entirely.
if minorities cant open up and arent comfortable with their doctors and feel that their doctors cant relate to them - you can be the best damn doctor in the world and it wont make a difference.

So does that mean a state school in a mostly white rural state should only produce white docs?

And I want to relate to my basketball team!

Wouldn't it be great for society if we can see blacks, whites, asians, native americans and hispanics all work together on a baseketball court? Diversity is great.

Nah, screw that. I want my team to win!

PS: Don't the patients deserve diversity too?

Originally posted by danwsu
So does that mean a state school in a mostly white rural state should only produce white docs?
ONLY? no - but Mostly yes. And they do.

How can you have race neutral means for increasing diversity? Race is part and parcel of diversity.

If you take account of the fact that being a minority has a high correlation with being disadvantaged, then giving advantages to disadvantaged students would promote diversity indirectly. That would race-neutral because disadvantaged whites would not be punished.

Darkchild, how convenient that you presented an arguement in favor of medical school AA policies, but forget to defend AA when applied to a variety of different majors, jobs, etc.
You make the arguement that it's natural for blacks to be mistrusting of white doctors. I think there would be equal apprehension of black doctors from many racist whites. This poses the question of whether or not we should design our system to account for each groups racism. Clearly, if I suggested that states like Utah reduce the number of black students in their medical school class because white patients are often apprehensive of black doctors, we'd have a problem, right? We shouldn't pander to each group's bigotry (be they white, black, etc).

simply put there are more asians in medicine than suits society's need, cut down on the number of asian admissions to med school. Gays and lesbians arent adequately representated in medicine... increase their numbers. Poor folks arent adequately representated... well, increase their numbers.

This is quite funny. So, we're going to match everything in society with what the latest census polls dictate? Excuse me.....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Man, thanks, I needed that. My friends laughed when I told them that liberalism should be in the DSM-IV manual, but I think I have a new case. The current case against AA at U. Michigan demonstrates that the number of minorities accepted is nearly 100%. See, the number of people applying to each school doesn't reflect the percentages of those different groups in the population. Let's say that the current population of blacks in America makes up 16% of the total population. The proportion of the applicants that are black may be only 4-5% of the admissions pool. If we are going to keep our percentage of blacks in medicine equal to the percentage in the general population, it will pretty much guarantee 100% acceptance to the 4-5%. This is a quota system and it is against the law. Howard university should look out! Whitey is coming!

You argue that AA doesn't necessarily create inferior doctors. I agree. However, you ignore the fact that it DOES necessarily disadvantage one applicant. As an undergrad, that might not have been so bad because most of us had a backup or community college as an alternative :rolleyes:
With medical school, however, most of us don't get a dozen acceptances, so we're basically screwed. What happened to my chance to demonstrate my potential? I'm Middle-Eastern. I can speak a different language and I practice different cultural traditions. However, I wouldn't contribute to "diversity" according to the current policy. Maybe one day, if I were black and I put some effort forth, I could grow up to become a doctor and please some racist black patients. Ahhh....maybe spray paint can do it. Excuse me....:D

Originally posted by Ryo-Ohki

HAHAHA :clap: that is soo funny, but soo ignorant... haha I seriously can't stop laughing. Listen guys, if you want to argue about something pointless, then do it somewhere else. This site is meant to be a somewhat neutral ground concentrating on the exchanges of ideas, answers to medical school and premed questions and suggestions. To use this forum to dispel some of the tacky things I've read from people, is ridiculous. I'm disappointed in the management of the moderators on this site for allowing this crap on here. Whether it's allowed or not, it's asinine to debate about this dead horse. Suck it up, AGREE TO DISAGREE and move on. No one is going to change anyone's mind on here. I can't believe some of you people will actually be my colleagues one day.

Originally posted by Garibaldo
I'm Middle-Eastern. Ahhh....maybe spray paint can do it. Excuse me....:D

FYI, I'm "much lighter" than most middle easterns folks I know. Believe me if you and I were stranded in some rural Mississippi town at 2:30 in the morning, you'd have as big or bigger a problem to deal with as I would:mad:

And given the "climate" in the US today, you may find yourself one day needing some diversity program to get into medical school too!

You know at this point after reading everyone's posts I have absolutely NO OPINION on AA, seriously I agree with everyone's point of view... isn't that odd?!? I won' t let raw emotions take over any opinion formation, thus I have decided to spend a week thinking about this :oops:)

If I had a magic wand I'd go back in time and prevent slavery from ever taking place!

Originally posted by ocean11
If I had a magic wand I'd go back in time and prevent slavery from ever taking place!
well, i'd at least use that wand to keep these THREADS from taking place :laugh:

Well the composition of an incoming med school class should match the composition of the community that school serves...

Uhh this is a quota system and quotas are illegal supposedly anyways

To get into less theoretical terms, healthcare suffers because we took good doctors and not great doctors.

Yeah, I'm sure those good doctors are the same ones tatooing their alma maters into women's uterus and going 2 for 1 on breast removals. I truly doubt they were URMs.

Anyway....to quote carebear:

"that peoples' ideas of fairness often only extend as far as is relevant to their well-being"

point blank this is the reason why white people vote against AA and rich people vote against welfare. And for all those extensive posts more than 10 sentences I don't have the pateince to read them. Pretty sure it's the same hog-wash. Whites are mad b/c they feel they should get all of the seats in med school vs. the majority they are already getting.

This thread is SO OLD.

Tein we need a graphic please...

I didn't "complain" about having to be twice as good ect..it's an established fact for many people of color and women in general

established fact, huh? And you want to be a medical scientist?

Also we still haven't received our 40 acres and a mule yet!

What if the government decided to honors this and give every black citizen exactly 40 acres and a mule, in exchange for the prohibition of ALL race based preferences in education and jobs, across the board.

I doubt you would take the exchange.

Since the overwhelming majority of owners AND coaches are white, this should be easy.

Ummm..do the math. There are 29 NBA teams, lets assume all of them have white owners/managers, which gives 58 whites in the most powerful positions.

Each team has a roster of 14 players, on average 85% which are black. So thats a total of 348 black players, 58 white players.

So the total racial makeup is approximately 348 black, and 58+58=116 whites. Therefore, to ensure racial "diversity", the number of whites needs to be more than doubled at the expense of blacks. Even if you do this, whites are still underrepresented, because it assumes they make up only 50% of the general population, so to get true representation, you need to increase this percentage to approximately 70%.

So, your implication that you only have to change up the makeup a little bit is totally false. For the NBA especially you would need to have a vast racial shift to ensure proportional representation.

Opps, I'm sorry but I think they want to WIN
this is a blatantly racist statement. If a white person on this forum implied that "well colleges want the smartest people so they should take mostly whites" there would be an uproar, and I'm sure you would be leading the charge.

Yeah, I'm sure those good doctors are the same ones tatooing their alma maters into women's uterus and going 2 for 1 on breast removals. I truly doubt they were URMs.

"that peoples' ideas of fairness often only extend as far as is relevant to their well-being"

point blank this is the reason why white people vote against AA and rich people vote against welfare. And for all those extensive posts more than 10 sentences I don't have the pateince to read them. Pretty sure it's the same hog-wash. Whites are mad b/c they feel they should get all of the seats in med school vs. the majority they are already getting.

This thread is SO OLD.

Tein we need a graphic please...

Is that why black people vote for AA? Is that why black people are in favor of welfare policies? What about all those white liberals who voted to keep AA policies in California? What about all the black conservatives who....oh wait, i forgot, black conservatives aren't considered black anymore. They're considered sellouts :D

pathdr2b, for your information, I've experienced plenty of racism growing up. It's not like racism didn't exist in response to the gulf war. The difference is that nobody told me it was acceptable to be a victim. I never thought to myself "Hey, since these dinguses called me names because of my race, maybe I can feel sorry for myself for the rest of my life, blame society and I won't have to do as much work later! Yeah! Racists are great!"
Also, I've heard no racist comments and I haven't been harassed once since 9/11. Don't believe everything the liberals tell you. I know it's popular for them to hype white racism, but it hasn't reached a fever pitch by any means. It's not even close to what blacks probably experience on a daily basis. My entire extended family and all of my friends have received NO harassment whatsoever. God Bless America.

I guess when you get to play the race card all day, it makes you immune from the normal criticism that comes from posting blatantly racist remarks on the majority.

URMs can be both great and bad doctors, in similar proportions to non URMs. I'm sure you've heard of the "infamous" case of Dr. Patrick Chavis (sp?) who used to be the posterboy for AA.

point blank this is the reason why white people vote against AA and rich people vote against welfare.

Yes, every group will oppose stuff that goes against its own well being. Are you trying to say that blacks and other minority groups dont do this? Of course they do.

Whites are mad b/c they feel they should get all of the seats in med school vs. the majority they are already getting.

Or it could be the fact that its unfair to use race as a criteria, especially when we've heard for so long that same logic being used by blacks for their own benefit.

Again, liberals think conservatives are evil. Conservatives think liberals are stupid.

point blank this is the reason why white people vote against AA and rich people vote against welfare.

Welfare reform pushed through by some "white people" has actually helped [gasp] many non-whites. Funny what a little self-discipline and self-reliance will encourage.

And for all those extensive posts more than 10 sentences I don't have the pateince to read them.

Perhaps you should try. You might actually gain some appreciation into a complex subject -- something that 10 sentences often is unable to capture.

Whites are mad b/c they feel they should get all of the seats in med school vs. the majority they are already getting.

I'm not going to even respond to this one. I think I need a vacation.

OMG are you people still on this, LORD GET OVER IT. Stop looking up past post, and throwing in your two cents of sacrarium. I can't believe you children will be doctors one day. Grow up!!! People who are for AA don't give a d*mn about the opinions of those who are against it, and vice verse. Shut the h*ll up already. It's pointless, and it's pretty damn sad that some people on here (whom I use to consider pretty intelligent and having some substance) are so stupid. N E way, grow up and later