IHS after graduating?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-Dent Jeff

Dent-Jeff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year student. I have no specific idea where I'd like to go work, other than I'd like to return to the western US. A classmate of mine got me somewhat interested in working in IHS after graduating. Does anybody on here have any experience doing this option?
What was the process for applying? What do you like/ dislike about IHS?

Members don't see this ad.

I sent an email to the IHS recruiting email address. In the email, included just a brief statement along with areas I'd prefer to work. They forwarded my email and resume on to several IHS clinics. I received interview offers from about 15 different clinics just from this one email. Definitely the easiest way to look for jobs.

I sent an email to the IHS recruiting email address. In the email, included just a brief statement along with areas I'd prefer to work. They forwarded my email and resume on to several IHS clinics. I received interview offers from about 15 different clinics just from this one email. Definitely the easiest way to look for jobs.

Thanks for the info. How long was the hiring process?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. How long was the hiring process?

I ended up going with an FQHC but this is how it works with the IHS clinics: many clinics reachout iut in response to my email. I set up numerous phone interviews with the clinics, followed by in person interviews (with all expenses paid by the clinic), followed by job offers. Lots of paperwork (contracts, insurance and CMS credentialing, etc). The process was pretty standardized from all the IHS clinics I interviewed with.

I send the initial interview to the IHS recruiter over winter break and started hearing back from clinics by mid-January. I would say from initial contact to job offer: about 1-2 months (mostly depended on my busy D4 schedule).

Reactions: 1 users
The email method sounds way better, I applied through the actual federal gov mail application, which is a very complicated process, and I never heard anything back. It was funny when I started at an FQHC, and on my first day it was another guy's last day, and he was moving to the IHS job I applied for! Turns out his mom works at that clinic, and he never even had to apply.. shows you how much connections are worth!

You can also try looking at 3rnet.org. You can search for IHS or FQHC openings through there and each listing provides the contact info to learn more/apply

Reactions: 1 user
Is working for IHS or FQHC better than working for a dental corp? Are most new grads looking at IHS/FQHC, Dental Corp or Associateship if buying a practice is not an option?

Is working for IHS or FQHC better than working for a dental corp? Are most new grads looking at IHS/FQHC, Dental Corp or Associateship if buying a practice is not an option?

Biggest thing with IHS/FQHC is the loan repayment. In my class, we had about 1/3 go public health and the rest private practice. Only a couple went corporate

Biggest thing with IHS/FQHC is the loan repayment. In my class, we had about 1/3 go public health and the rest private practice. Only a couple went corporate

On average .... which situation (public health, corp, associateships) do you think pays the best? Take into account govt repayment options, health benefits, 401K, sick pay, floating holidays, paid vacations, etc. etc.

TIA

On average .... which situation (public health, corp, associateships) do you think pays the best? Take into account govt repayment options, health benefits, 401K, sick pay, floating holidays, paid vacations, etc. etc.

TIA

Taking into account the total offer including all benefits, public health is the way to go. My salary was significantly higher than my classmates that went into public health. But their average salary was in the $145-150k/yr range + around 15-30 PTO/vacation/CE days + approximately 25k in loan repayment/yr for 2 years + retirement and more

Some corporate will offer loan repayment but that usually accompanies a lower base salary. Most private practices don't have enough employees to offer the kind of benefits that you can get with the FQHCs/corporate (better 401k, health insurance, HSA, etc)

Of course this is all based off my experience and that of my classmates so take it with a grain of salt

Reactions: 1 user

I think only a small portion (10% or less) of the class before me went into IHS/ FQHC. It seemed that most went into private practice or corporate, but my school is in the Chicago area. So there is no shortage of private or corporate options.