IHS housing - RV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dfa124

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone stayed at RV working as a IHS contractor position before? The staffing agency is suggesting me to stay at RV since they cannot afford the hotel I wanted and the 1 star hotel would be too shady. I don’t know how this will work out as there is bare to no signal/WiFi at the RV site since its remote. Also I will be staying alone for a year. Any advices? TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Has anyone stayed at RV working as a IHS contractor position before? The staffing agency is suggesting me to stay at RV since they cannot afford the hotel I wanted and the 1 star hotel would be too shady. I don’t know how this will work out as there is bare to no signal/WiFi at the RV site since its remote. Also I will be staying alone for a year. Any advices? TIA
What state? Can’t you get an apartment? I assume even if it’s rural it might at least have one apartment Complex?

What state? Can’t you get an apartment? I assume even if it’s rural it might at least have one apartment Complex?
Many IHS sites are well over an hour from anything that isn’t part of the reservation and many hours from an apartment complex.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Many IHS sites are well over an hour from anything that isn’t part of the reservation and many hours from an apartment complex.
Oh I see. I had no idea about it. i had classmate talking about IHS and how good the benefits are but after hearing this staying situation, I don’t know if it’s worth it. Lol

Reactions: 2 users
The only IHS site I am familiar with had trailers (not RVs, full-size three-bedroom mobile homes) available for visiting personnel, and you could get satellite internet/TV (the only option was satellite). Most people who were there long-term, though, preferred to live in the closest town, about an hour's drive away.

My friends were at a different IHS site, and there was a dorm, I think it was a two-story building with several rooms? But there was no cooking facility. The trailer I stayed at had a fully equipped kitchen (though I was fed two meals a day at the facility, and the food was legitimately excellent, so I only made breakfast).

I think it really varies from site to site what the options are and how easy or difficult it is to get there from off-campus housing, so I would recommend you contact someone who is working there and ask what they do and what they would suggest.

Reactions: 1 users
I have owned/camped in travel trailers. They aren't intended for long term use, the trailer doesnt withstand moisture generated by living ie showers, breathing. It will feel confined after a while. Even the most luxurious one is not as comfortable as home. Then add in weather, the a.c. units aren't that strong so an extremely hot climate is a problem and winter use Jack's up the water lines and tank. Then consider if its attached to a 500 gallon propane tank or not and how to get rid of wastes and get water. Best case scenario you could be comfortable for a month or so.

Reactions: 3 users
Yep, rural sites (I think there are a couple urban IHS sites in Arizona but most tend to be rural) are unlikely to have apartment complexes. but there are likely to be individuals who will be leasing their entire house, or a basement apartment, or a room at their house - these type of sites probably host a lot of temp personnel and something has been created to accommodate them.

Also, some little old ladies in rural areas take female boarders, either with room or room and board option.

Reactions: 1 user