IHS Loan Repayment Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Royal Rooters

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I did a search on the forum and it's been a few years since the topic has been brought up, so I was curious if anybody here has considered or has taken part in the IHS loan repayment program recently. If so, I'd be interested in hearing your perspective/experience on the program.

I like the idea of working with an underserved population while receiving loan repayment assistance. Plus, I have an MPH degree and would ultimately like to end up practicing in WA state - both of which I think would be useful in this situation. Additionally, with only a 2 year commitment, you leave yourself plenty of options for work afterward if you decline to extend your contract and go into practice in another kind of setting.

Thank you for your help :)

EDIT: I will receive my MPH degree this May and begin podiatry school in Arizona this Fall. I like to think long-term, thus the reason for inquiring about the IHS program so far in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I did a search on the forum and it's been a few years since the topic has been brought up, so I was curious if anybody here has considered or has taken part in the IHS loan repayment program recently. If so, I'd be interested in hearing your perspective/experience on the program.

I like the idea of working with an underserved population while receiving loan repayment assistance. Plus, I have an MPH degree and would ultimately like to end up practicing in WA state - both of which I think would be useful in this situation. Additionally, with only a 2 year commitment, you leave yourself plenty of options for work afterward if you decline to extend your contract and go into practice in another kind of setting.

Thank you for your help :)

EDIT: I will receive my MPH degree this May and begin podiatry school in Arizona this Fall. I like to think long-term, thus the reason for inquiring about the IHS program so far in advance.

If you can figure out how to apply prior to pod school you can have them pay for I think about 2 years of school up front. Then once you start working you get again, I think, 40G/ year towards loans plus a salary.

many of the indian reservation jobs are lots of chip and clip and will take you to make it what you want, as in more surgical if that is what you are looking for.

I hope this helps a little.

This is something I have come across in my searches as well. I will be attending Scholl and I found a similar program that will pay for students tuitions, fees and give a monthly stipend if they commit to practicing in rural areas of IL after residency training. For every year you receive the scholarship you must give back in service.

Like krabmas stated above, I think that if I were accepted and participated in this program I would be doing general foot care for my future patients in physician shortage areas.

I guess my questions are...

What happens if I got into a good surgical residency program but then committed myself to practicing in a rural area for like 2-3 years?

Am I basically going to waste/ lose the surgical skills I acquired during my residency training if I am only doing chip and clip?

After I fulfill my commitment do you think ortho or other pod practices are going to shy away from hiring me since I haven't had a lot of "post-residency" surgical experience?

Although this is for a good cause and it offers a very attractive financial award, I don't want to sign up for something that is ultimately going to limit what I can do with my future in podiatry.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Krab -

I appreciate the response. I've requested an information packet from the IHS to learn a bit more about the program.

I guess my questions are...

What happens if I got into a good surgical residency program but then committed myself to practicing in a rural area for like 2-3 years?

Am I basically going to waste/ lose the surgical skills I acquired during my residency training if I am only doing chip and clip?

After I fulfill my commitment do you think ortho or other pod practices are going to shy away from hiring me since I haven't had a lot of "post-residency" surgical experience?

Although this is for a good cause and it offers a very attractive financial award, I don't want to sign up for something that is ultimately going to limit what I can do with my future in podiatry.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Study-

I had similar thoughts/questions percolating in the back of my mind as well. I'd like to think that potential future employers would see the IHS experience from a positive angle - i.e. doing something worthwhile for the community, helping those facing enormous health disparities, being responsible and paying down loans, etc.

Hopefully somebody who knows first hand can offer their personal story:xf: