I'll never be able to remember the MEN syndromes. Never!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForbiddenComma

Tanned for Bowling
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go forth to my exam, burdened with this knowledge of my own limitations, and saddened by the fact that the test writers' obsession with MEN syndromes is second only to their obsession with gout.

Good luck to everyone else on their exams!

Members don't see this ad.

I go forth to my exam, burdened with this knowledge of my own limitations, and saddened by the fact that the test writers' obsession with MEN syndromes is second only to their obsession with gout.

Good luck to everyone else on their exams!

MEN I - 3 p's
MEN II - pheo + calcitonin
MEN IIB - pheo + calcitonin + weird neurofibromas in mouth

There :)

Men stand up to go #1(p's) with their worms (werner syndrome)

This works for me. It probably makes no sense to anyone else though. My strategy is to remember one and hope I can figure out the others :).

Members don't see this ad :)

ummmm......it's not like it's 25 different syndromes and 75 different conditions randomly mixed together within those.

There are a lot of things that suck to remember(such as all the rna viruses and which are helical, icosahedral, linear, etc), but MEN just isn't that much to know.

As for gout, it's topics like those that they ask questions on that are straightforward and high yield, which is fine by me so I won't complain. I won't one that just gave a typically gout presentation and then gave 5 or 6 possible choices for what they would look like out of tissue. Straight out of FA. HAd another gout question which wanted to know what the mechanism of allopurinol was....the kind of questions where if you've studied you don't ahve to worry about whether you got it right or not.

If he has an ulcer (from a gastrinoma) or the 3 Ps, it's MENI. If he has a pheo, it's MENIIa. If he has a pheo and looks marfanoid or weird mouth lesions, he has MENIIb

If he has an ulcer (from a gastrinoma) or the 3 Ps, it's MENI. If he has a pheo, it's MENIIa. If he has a pheo and looks marfanoid or weird mouth lesions, he has MENIIb
true...but be careful about the ulcer thing....could also be the hypercalcemia of the pth in men2a...stims gastrin

true...but be careful about the ulcer thing....could also be the hypercalcemia of the pth in men2a...stims gastrin

That's true, except that all of my questions on both practice and the real thing were all ZE as the cause of the ulcer. That's just my .02. I was just trying to think of buzzwords. Also, the Hypercalcemia is most common in MENI. In fact, it's the most common initial presentation, so hypercalcemia should actually send you towards MENI also. MENIIA, though it may have PTH tumors will rarely present that way on an exam, favoring the famous pheo instead. Any tumor in the neck is probably going to be a medullary thyroid tumor in MENII on an exam. Look for increased calcitonin. Marfanoid habitus trumps all, and should send you to MENIIb (MENIII) every time.

Well got through it, somehow...

Fortunately for me, MEN never showed up on my test. ;)

I did the worst at the beginning and end sections. The beginning because I was like, "OMG I'm actually sitting for the REAL step 1!!" and the end because I was simply exhausted and couldn't think straight. I think they put so many sections in the exam intentionally to make it a test of endurance. But I feel I did ok in the middle once I hit my stride, I think. (still made some idiot mistakes... totally blanked on the mechanism of colchicine, grr)

Most of the anatomy was extremity anatomy, especially brachial plexus and leg compartment. I wonder why this is. The perineal spaces came up once or twice, though.

I was the only one taking USMLE in the room. Everyone else was taking COMLEX, which seems to be a much shorter test... but at least we don't have to give our thumbprints every time we enter the room!

Be sure you pack some food of some sort. And caffeine. Lots and lots of caffeine.

As far as difficulty, I'd say it was harder than the official practice USMLE questions but easier than Qbank. Qbank has a lot of useless trivia that is not tested in the real thing...

... however, "useless trivia" does NOT include anything involving enzymes. Know your enzymes front and back! And not just the obvious ones either. If nothing else, know the glycolysis pathway and the folate-B12-methotrexate-related pathway (can't even remember what the whole thing is called, lol). The biochemistry quota of the test is met via enzyme questions.

For ethics questions, the answer is always the most mushy, politically correct, empathetic answer on the list. You must understand their feelings! :rolleyes:

Non-ethics psych questions were rare on my test. Review your personality disorders and you should be set.

Parasites only showed up a couple times, but there were a lot more viral questions than I would have preferred.

Signature toxicities of cancer drugs was another favorite.

Well good luck all... and yes, I am an idiot for always blanking on the MEN syndromes. :)