I'll never become a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reymonauk

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I recently graduated from college as of December of 2017. I have Biology degree and I want to be part of the health community. Becoming a doctor has always been a dream of mine, however during college I've struggled a lot mentally and with studying, I didn't learn how to properly study until the very last semester. After I've graduated I have never felt such strong determination to reach for that dream of becoming a doctor, but I am afraid that it'll never come true because my GPA are terrible. I have a cumulative GPA of 2.38, and I don't remember what my science GPA was but it was low, I believe it was in 2.1-2.2 region. Obviously, at this point I will never get into any post-bacc programs, so I want to seek some advice from this community. Is this dream completely gone, and I should just forget about it? If not, how should I approach to making that dream come true?

Just a little achievements during college: I've participated in research focusing on the effects of organic matter on HeLa cells and I've also been part of EMS for a few years gaining hundreds of volunteer hours.

I'm currently residing in NYC if that matters.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to completely reinvent yourself if you hope to have any shot of being admitted to medical school. It is going to be a long road, but it is not impossible. However, given your GPA, you need to be certain that this is what you want...because it's not going to be easy or quick.

What you need to do can vary, but it goes something like this: get your GPA up near a 3 (depending on how many credits you have, this may be easier said than done)-->apply to post-bacc program/grad school (hard science) and do VERY WELL (no slip ups allowed; I would say anything less than a 3.6/3.7 in one of these programs will shoot your chances)-->continue volunteering-->kill the MCAT. Then you have a chance. Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
You need to completely reinvent yourself if you hope to have any shot of being admitted to medical school. It is going to be a long road, but it is not impossible. However, given your GPA, you need to be certain that this is what you want...because it's not going to be easy or quick.

What you need to do can vary, but it goes something like this: 1. Raise your GPA: get your GPA up near a 3 (depending on how many credits you have, this may be easier said than done)-->apply to post-bacc program/grad school (hard science) and do VERY WELL (no slip ups allowed)-->continue volunteering-->kill the MCAT. Then you have a chance. Best of luck!

If I were to take courses in another school in NYC because I went to upstate NY college, would it count towards raising my old GPA? or do you mean take classes at the new school and get a 3.0 GPA?

I heard about DIY post pacc, how does that work?

Members don't see this ad :)
Formal post bacc programs are not necessary. I took whatever classes I wanted at my local state school, and got some interviews/acceptances this cycle. Just take some hard sciences, especially things that are going to be interesting to you. I hadn't had the physics/orgo/biochem classes, so I did those plus some upper level bios I found interesting like genetics, cell bio, neurophysiology, and a class on hormones.

You can pick up another bachelor's degree or you can just take random classes, your choice. I picked up another bachelor's because I didn't have a bio degree already, and I was taking so many biology courses that it just made sense.

In your situation, I would finish up all these sorts of courses and get your GPA up to at least a 3.0, however many credits it takes, so you will avoid being hard screened out at most schools. I would say, ideally you could finish up in December of a year, so you could spend some solid months doing full time MCAT studying before a April/May test date. DO schools seem like they are way more forgiving of weaker ECs/a weaker GPA if you ace the MCAT, so you need to allot some months of full time studying for that. With a high enough MCAT score, just getting your GPA up to a 3.0 might be enough and you might not need any further formal post-baccs/SMPs to get in somewhere.

Also, don't forget about getting community service hours somewhere. Those are important. :)

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all, I recently graduated from college as of December of 2017. I have Biology degree and I want to be part of the health community. Becoming a doctor has always been a dream of mine, however during college I've struggled a lot mentally and with studying, I didn't learn how to properly study until the very last semester. After I've graduated I have never felt such strong determination to reach for that dream of becoming a doctor, but I am afraid that it'll never come true because my GPA are terrible. I have a cumulative GPA of 2.38, and I don't remember what my science GPA was but it was low, I believe it was in 2.1-2.2 region. Obviously, at this point I will never get into any post-bacc programs, so I want to seek some advice from this community. Is this dream completely gone, and I should just forget about it? If not, how should I approach to making that dream come true?

Just a little achievements during college: I've participated in research focusing on the effects of organic matter on HeLa cells and I've also been part of EMS for a few years gaining hundreds of volunteer hours.

I'm currently residing in NYC if that matters.
First get your mental health issues taken care of.

First get your mental health issues taken care of.

Thank you! As of right now, my mental issue is in check and I am clear minded that is why I understood what my dream job is, and it's where this determination is coming from. I don't want to give up before I already tried. Since college graduation a few months ago, I have seen and understood so many things that led me to want to make this dream come true.

Thank you! As of right now, my mental issue is in check and I am clear minded that is why I understood what my dream job is, and it's where this determination is coming from. I don't want to give up before I already tried. Since college graduation a few months ago, I have seen and understood so many things that led me to want to make this dream come true.
A consistent record of academic excellence form now on will allay any concerns that Adcoms might have over mental healthy issues.

In your situation, I would finish up all these sorts of courses and get your GPA up to at least a 3.0, however many credits it takes, so you will avoid being hard screened out at most schools. I would say, ideally you could finish up in December of a year, so you could spend some solid months doing full time MCAT studying before a April/May test date. DO schools seem like they are way more forgiving of weaker ECs/a weaker GPA if you ace the MCAT, so you need to allot some months of full time studying for that. With a high enough MCAT score, just getting your GPA up to a 3.0 might be enough and you might not need any further formal post-baccs/SMPs to get in somewhere.

Also, don't forget about getting community service hours somewhere. Those are important. :)

Good luck!

So I am assuming when I start taking the courses at a different college, my starting GPA would be at 2.38 instead of the 4.0?

So I am assuming when I start taking the courses at a different college, my starting GPA would be at 2.38 instead of the 4.0?
You will be required to report ALL of your coursework to the medical school application, when that time comes. That means your first degree and 2.38 GPA will be considered in addition to your future coursework. You have an uphill battle, but its been done before! good luck!

You will be required to report ALL of your coursework to the medical school application, when that time comes. That means your first degree and 2.38 GPA will be considered in addition to your future coursework. You have an uphill battle, but its been done before! good luck!

so how do people calculate their GPA prior to medical school to make sure it's a reasonable GPA? Is there a program that does all the calculation for you or would I have to do those calculations myself? lol

so how do people calculate their GPA prior to medical school to make sure it's a reasonable GPA? Is there a program that does all the calculation for you or would I have to do those calculations myself? lol
Your application, whether AMCAS or AACOMAS will do the final calculations for you. As for knowing where you stand prior to filling them out, yes, you'll have to break out a calculator.

Your application, whether AMCAS or AACOMAS will do the final calculations for you. As for knowing where you stand prior to filling them out, yes, you'll have to break out a calculator.

I see, thank you!

I understand that I have a long way to go, but I am only 23 years old so I am not giving up before I even turn 30. I just hope it won't take me 7 years, because I know I am smart, I just picked up a bad study habit and have learned my mistakes late in the game but I am willing to continue on and aim for that dream.

AACOMAS can see how you've done each year of school for both science and non-science courses, has separate lines for post-bacc science and non-science averages, and then overall averages. So, they can see if you've done significantly better in your most recent course work than you did at the beginning of your education.

OP realistically you only need 3.0 gpa and about 27 MCAT and you have good chances to get accepted into one of DO schools. Key will be to apply broadly, can't choose with those stats. In my school I see a lot of people with 3.0gpa and 27 MCAT (couple of them were even accepted into 2 schools - so they even had some choice). You are only 23, average age in my class is 27-28, so if you plan carefully you next years - you can up your gpa and prepare for mcat. This is still a lot of work - no way around it. If you don't have dedication - better choose something else

I see, thank you!

I understand that I have a long way to go, but I am only 23 years old so I am not giving up before I even turn 30. I just hope it won't take me 7 years, because I know I am smart, I just picked up a bad study habit and have learned my mistakes late in the game but I am willing to continue on and aim for that dream.
I just got accepted this cycle and I’m 28. You’ve got plenty of time, but also plenty of work! Good luck!

OP realistically you only need 3.0 gpa and about 27 MCAT and you have good chances to get accepted into one of DO schools. Key will be to apply broadly, can't choose with those stats. In my school I see a lot of people with 3.0gpa and 27 MCAT (couple of them were even accepted into 2 schools - so they even had some choice). You are only 23, average age in my class is 27-28, so if you plan carefully you next years - you can up your gpa and prepare for mcat. This is still a lot of work - no way around it. If you don't have dedication - better choose something else

I taking a month off going overseas to refresh my mind and try to figure all of this out. It is my dream, and I am done just wasting my life away. Thank you for your advice! I know it's gonna be a difficult journey but I am not giving up.

I just got accepted this cycle and I’m 28. You’ve got plenty of time, but also plenty of work! Good luck!

Congratulations on your acceptance! If you can get into the program at the age of 28, there is no reason for me to slack off when I'm only 23! Thank you for your words of confidence!

What that mean?

They have "Academic Fresh Start". Not too sure on the whole process, but if you're a TX resident you can reset your gpa at a TX college. You have to start from scratch though.