illegal interview questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ms2

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My husband and I are both MSIVs currently applying for residency positions. We have both been asked questions such as do you have children, when are you planning on having children, and are you marrried? I am also of a mixed background and have been asked questions about my ethnicity, since it is not clear by looking at me. Several different programs that we have interviewed at have done this. We are not participating in the couples match, since one of us is doing an early match, so I don't think that is why they are asking these questions. Also, I thought these questions were illegal, or is it only illegal to hire based on the answers or only ask the questions of certain groups? We have been answering the questions, but I was wondering if other people have encountered this, and what are you doing?

Members don't see this ad.

A program recently told me that they aren't allowed to ask whether someone is married nor whether they have children. Other forbidden topics are religion and sexual preference, but not political persuasion. Now whether these are in fact illegal or just frowned upon, I'm not sure; they may very well be illegal. You'd think programs would be a little more careful.

many of these questions are technically "illegal." however if you don't answer them, you sound like a tool and probably will not be considered. also, many interviewers are just making conversation.

another thing is that some programs/locations are more "family-friendly," or "single-friendly" than others, so they may very well ask the questions to gauge your level of interest.

I would just answer the questions honestly; most programs are looking for a good "match.".... so if they don't rank you based on your answers, then you wouldn't want to be there anyway...

Is it ok to tell a program that you are going to rank them highly, or even tell them you will rank them #1?

normalforce said:
Is it ok to tell a program that you are going to rank them highly, or even tell them you will rank them #1?

It's perfectly legit from what I understand. In fact, it wouldn't hurt to tell EVERY program you interview at that you plan to rank them highly. It's just pleasantries and doesn't imply a commitment of any sort.

stormjen said:
It's perfectly legit from what I understand. In fact, it wouldn't hurt to tell EVERY program you interview at that you plan to rank them highly. It's just pleasantries and doesn't imply a commitment of any sort.
You understand correctly. Either side can tell the other whatever they want. You just can't ask about it. No deals either.

Thus, if there is one place you really like and you are sure you are going to rank them #1, why not tell them so? Some people will try to scare you and say don't tell the program because then they will know you are a sure match and rank you lower to try to get their top candidates. But that's crap.

Of course, you shouldn't tell more than one program you are going to rank them #1 because that's sleazy. And no one likes a sleaze. Well, that's not true. Some people do like sleazes, but most of them are not in medicine as a career!

If you want evidence: I told my #1 program they were my #1, and I matched here. And a couple of other programs contacted me to tell me I was ranked high enough to match. The programs I liked I told them I liked, but I certainly didn't tell more than the one program they were #1. The rest I was just polite to.

yaah said:
You understand correctly. Either side can tell the other whatever they want. You just can't ask about it. No deals either.

Thus, if there is one place you really like and you are sure you are going to rank them #1, why not tell them so? Some people will try to scare you and say don't tell the program because then they will know you are a sure match and rank you lower to try to get their top candidates. But that's crap.

Of course, you shouldn't tell more than one program you are going to rank them #1 because that's sleazy. And no one likes a sleaze. Well, that's not true. Some people do like sleazes, but most of them are not in medicine as a career!

If you want evidence: I told my #1 program they were my #1, and I matched here. And a couple of other programs contacted me to tell me I was ranked high enough to match. The programs I liked I told them I liked, but I certainly didn't tell more than the one program they were #1. The rest I was just polite to.

yaah!! nice to see you on the gen med side of the things!
QUESTION: How didja-dewit?
how did you tell programs (in your case, U mich), that they were #1?? At the end of the interview? Later by phone? Later by letter [in the thank you notes]???

thanks

It really doesn't matter how you do it. I sent an email, but I could have just as easily called. I sent an email because I had a couple of things to mention.

As I said, I wouldn't do it at the end of the interview, because you need time to process things and you run the risk of looking a little too overeager and insincere. What happens if you go to another interview and decide you really like that place? Be careful. If you have a certain #1, then I can't think of why it could hurt to tell them that.

I think if you are sure, absolutely sure, then it really can only help you to say you are putting them at the top of your list. They can then tell you whatever they want. Of course, as everyone knows, you cannot take anything that is said to you in the interview as a guarantee. They can tell you one thing, and do something entirely different (if they're a-holes); however, if you're sure, and you say you like the place and you're putting them at the top of your list, you can sometimes get a gist from them. They may immediately give you a positive indication, something like "Thank you, you are at the top of ours, as well"...or they can sorta give you the indication that you're not on the top of theirs by simply saying "thank you, we appreciate that", or "you are a strong candidate"...blah blah blah. But again, there are no guarantees.

back to illegal questions..

i was asked my stance on abortion? (i'm applying OB/GYN, pro-choice with limitations) would i work with someone who performed elective abortions? if a woman comes to the ER hemorrhaging due to elective abortion complications, what would you do...

numerous time asked if i'm married, if i have children, if i plan to have children
what does my husband do? is his job transferrable?

where are you from? "somewhere, USA" no, WHERE are you from? (in other words, what is your ethnic origin?)

politics has also come up a few times

one interviewer commented that i have an athletic figure..then proceeded to ask what i do to keep in shape?

and what can you do when these questions come up but answer them? swallow your pride and despise them later. :confused:

You should not confuse questions you are uncomfortable answering with illegal questions.

Questions regarding your stance on abortion are perfectly legitimate (and cetainly expected in OB-GYN)--especially when they focus on your ability to perform the job required of you (i.e. how would you work with someone who...?). Political questions are not inappropriate either, though may not be in good taste. Asking how someone maintains their figure seems like idle conversation, though for many people may not be appropriate from someone who you do not know well (and therefor is an awkward question, not illegal).

Questions that are illegal are questions that set the stage for discrimination. Therefore, questions about religion, marital staus, future/current children, ethnicity, sexual orientation, country of origin, native language are considered to be 'illegal' questions.

Questions that are not illegal: do you have the legal right to work in this country? can you do these tasks if you had this position? what do you do to relieve stress? where do you see yourself in 10 years? why do you want to do this?

The last poster does make the good point that there is little to be done with uncomfortable or illegal questions are asked. You could certainly report programs if you thought you hade been asked questions that caused them to discriminate against you, but few people are willing to take that stand.

Everywhere I've interviewed has asked me where else I have applied/interviewed at. Some even write it down. I always answer the question honestly, but I thought that this was an illegal question as well?? But, then again, everyone I know has been asked that at interviews. I've only been asked my marital status a couple times, and I've never been asked about when I plan to have children (maybe b/c I am not married).

The U.S. government (as far as I know) has made no laws against residency programs asking prospective hirees where they are also job seeking. Why would they?

Illegal questions are illegal because they inquire about aspects of a candidate that do not have any direct bearing on their ability to perform the job AND may be seeking to find information to use to discriminate against the candidate (in legally unprotected ways--it is perfectly legit to discriminate against lazy applicants).

I've personally been asked about children and current and future plans at every interview....and to be honest, I don't really care. I have a child already and it is a big part of my life - if a program does not want me because I have a child, then they are clearly not the right program for me. I've also been asked what my husband does -- I also think that's important because the transferability of his job relates to where I will choose to do a residency -- I always try to answer the question pointing out how easy it would be for us to move to X city. I understand why some questions are illegal -- but personally, those things are a part of who I am and I am very comfortable answering the questions. Don't get pissy with me - I am not implying that they shouldn't be illegal, just giving my 2 cents.

Also remember that 'illegal' questions are only such if they are asked off topic by the interviewer. If you make a comment about your family, then it is fair game to be asked about that.

I tend to think that 95% of the time interviewers are just trying to make polite conversation by asking about family, jobs etc. The same way they would at a cocktail party or whatever. I could certainly see how that could make interviewees uncomfortable though.