Illegal Repeat!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gemmin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has done this but I have retaken a pharmacy prerequisite course at my university for which I have received a C- the first time. I'm not supposed to retake a course if I've receive C- or better. Now I received a letter from the university's registrar office saying that on my transcript I will still receive the letter grade for the second time I'm taking the course, but will state "illegal repeat" next to that course. Has anyone done this before, or know of what pharmacy schools will think about it or the consequences I will face? :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience, pharmacy schools neither require nor recommend retaking a class in which you made a C. As far as how it will count toward their consideration. I think you could call it out as an honest mistake, and to me, it looks like you were trying to further your understanding of the subject and it shows determination. going forward, you only need to retake D or F classes. :)

Not true, some schools do not accept C-'s. Usually it has to be a C or better. Sorry I can't help with the illegal repeat.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried to retake a course at my school, however once enrolled I recieved a call from the assistant dean that this was not allowed. They ended up giving me a W for a class I made a C in the first time. It didn't seem to have a negative impact on my application for pharmacy school, since I still received an interview. I guess as long as you explain your situation to an interviewer, it may not matter. However, I have heard that retaking classes when someone has made a C or better in a class is frowned upon with certain schools. It all depends and I would recommend that you contact the schools you're interested in applying to and see if they care about 'repeat and delete' or repeating a course and only taking the higher grade into consideration.

could you clarify? did you get a C- as in your school has +/- grading for classes or you got a score in the low C range?

i believe some pharm schools do take repeated grade if it's higher
(USC takes higher grade)

Last edited:
I think the phrase sounds worse than it really is. Even though the school may not factor the new grade into your GPA, they should appreciate that you retook the class and made a better grade.

Hey gemmin,

You don't have to worry at all because if you applied to pharm schools through Pharmcas, the schools will likely see the pharmcas transcript, not your schools one.
Once you get accepted to pharm school, you will be required to submit your official transcript from university to the student affairs or registration office (you don't deal with the admission office anymore!!)
So the admission will never see you had an illegal repeat.
As it was already mentioned, this will never affect your chance.

Sounds weird to me, my school recommends you retake C grades in prereqs if you have more than 1 or 2.

could you clarify? did you get a C- as in your school has +/- grading for classes or you got a score in the low C range?

Bamobrien,
I did receive a C-, not a low C. My university has a grade scale with + and -'s.

I don't know if anyone has done this but I have retaken a pharmacy prerequisite course at my university for which I have received a C- the first time. I'm not supposed to retake a course if I've receive C- or better. Now I received a letter from the university's registrar office saying that on my transcript I will still receive the letter grade for the second time I'm taking the course, but will state "illegal repeat" next to that course. Has anyone done this before, or know of what pharmacy schools will think about it or the consequences I will face? :scared:

Hey,

I went to UC Davis in california, and initially I earned a C in the first series of chemistry. Similar to your school's policy, I am not supposed to take a class over if Iearned a C- or better. I earned an A- the second time. Then I also got a letter stating that I took it illegally. However, when I ordered an official transcript, my grade of A- stood; nothing looked out of the ordinary, just but next to the amount of units it stated 0.
I had no trouble when I applied to pharmcas.

Hmm...just wondering for pharmcas - since you got no units for retaking the same class again on your university transcript, would you still indicate how many units the class is on your pharmcas application? keeping in mind that the university didn't grant credit for taking the same class again if it was a C- and above.

Does anyone know for sure? :)

Hey,

I went to UC Davis in california, and initially I earned a C in the first series of chemistry. Similar to your school's policy, I am not supposed to take a class over if Iearned a C- or better. I earned an A- the second time. Then I also got a letter stating that I took it illegally. However, when I ordered an official transcript, my grade of A- stood; nothing looked out of the ordinary, just but next to the amount of units it stated 0.
I had no trouble when I applied to pharmcas.

Hmm...just wondering for pharmcas - since you got no units for retaking the same class again on your university transcript, would you still indicate how many units the class is on your pharmcas application? keeping in mind that the university didn't grant credit for taking the same class again if it was a C- and above.

Does anyone know for sure? :)

well i reported the chemistry class as having 0 units, since pharmcas tells you to indicate EXACTLY as your official transcript reports. However, I reported that the A- I earned the second time around was a repeat and in my pharmcas grade when they averaged the grade, they assumed it was a 5 quarter unit class. Hope this helps.