Illinois 2024-2025 (c/o 2029 hopefuls)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supershorty

Don't look so vexed, toots.
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for discussing applications to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign College of Veterinary Medicine in the 2024-2025 (class of 2029) cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I know every year applicants are always wondering when they will hear back from schools. This past cycle we heard if we moved past phase 1 on 11/29. Interviews were offered on 1/19, interviews were through zoom in February, and offers were extended by email on 2/26! Obviously no guarantee that the timeline will stay the same but hopefully it will give you somewhat of an idea:)

Reactions: 2 users
Class of 21 grad. Probably wouldn't be the best person in regards specific details like clubs any more. Even some of the curriculum has changed I think? But otherwise willing to lend support 😊

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! Potentially applying this cycle, I know there have been GPA cut-offs in the past. Do those vary from year to year, or will it be the same as last year? I understand that only the phase II and phase III scores are considered, so if my veterinary experience hours are on the lower side is it worth applying (will probably have 1,140 hours of experience by the time I apply)?

Hi all! Potentially applying this cycle, I know there have been GPA cut-offs in the past. Do those vary from year to year, or will it be the same as last year? I understand that only the phase II and phase III scores are considered, so if my veterinary experience hours are on the lower side is it worth applying (will probably have 1,140 hours of experience by the time I apply)?
They have a hard cut off of 3.0 where they won’t look at your app at all if you’re under that. For making it past phase 1, the gpa each year varies based on the applicant pool.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely worth applying! As long as the hours are diverse, that’s not that low of a number. I’ve heard of people getting in with only a couple hundred.

Definitely worth applying! As long as the hours are diverse, that’s not that low of a number. I’ve heard of people getting in with only a couple hundred.
What if they're not diverse...only have about 14 hours of equine shadowing, the rest are all from 3 different small animal practices.

What if they're not diverse...only have about 14 hours of equine shadowing, the rest are all from 3 different small animal practices.

hi!! i had 1000+ hours in just small animal practices and just like 40 hours in exotics. it’s definitely possible!

I think the oos gpa cut off this past yr for going past phase 1 was like a 3.8+ but don’t quote me I heard that from one person!

I think the oos gpa cut off this past yr for going past phase 1 was like a 3.8+ but don’t quote me I heard that from one person!
Also anecdotal and now pretty old. But I was accepted with a 3.3 cGPA and a 3.0 sGPA. One of my vet med besties was accepted with a 2.8 or 2.75 (though 4.0 junior and senior years).

Reactions: 1 users