Illinois c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well our interview is only... 6 days away! And as such things go with me I start to go over ever detail in my head. Is it just me or are the interview feed back questions currently not working :confused: I have been able to get them to work before but not this time.

Oh, and greenmouse, maybe you can answer this question for me so I don't feel totally awkward and get myself stressed, for the interview when we enter the room should we go up to our interviewers and shake their hands and introduce ourselves or no?

I told you, every detail. :laugh:

I'm glad you're asking bbeventer! I'd be the one to do something completely awkward if I wasn't sure what to do.
Would anyone still like to do dinner/breakfast? I'm flying in at 820, which I know is kind of late, and staying at the Hilton (hotwire!) I'd love to meet some of you the morning of. On another note, I have a 3 hour layover in o'hare... Will anyone else be there?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm glad you're asking bbeventer! I'd be the one to do something completely awkward if I wasn't sure what to do.
Would anyone still like to do dinner/breakfast? I'm flying in at 820, which I know is kind of late, and staying at the Hilton (hotwire!) I'd love to meet some of you the morning of. On another note, I have a 3 hour layover in o'hare... Will anyone else be there?

Haha, well I am glad I am not the only one who wonders these things! I am staying at the Hilton too!! Hilton Gardens I believe my mom said. I won't be in O'hare but would love to do dinner or breakfast!

I'm picking Orca up from Midway and then we're heading to Chambana (ha) and staying at the Holiday Inn :) Not sure we'll be down there early enough for dinner, but if anyone's up for a late dinner, let us know! There's a TGI Friday's right by our hotel, if I remember correctly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone excited? It's so soon!
I'm catching a train out of town at 7 PM. Anybody want to walk around campus/get dinner before I leave? Maybe get an SDN group together?

Excited yes and nervous! I did a couple mock interviews and don't really know what else to do to prepare? Does anyone know when we get the offical nod (or not) about acceptances? I thought that it was soon after we interview, but I could be wrong. :) I will be getting into Urbana area Sunday afternoon, so if anyone wants to meet up that would be fun.

I believe they mail acceptances/waitlistings/rejections in mid-March! booooo :p

Thanks Nordicat! I called admissions earlier (because just I had to know) and she said the committee will meet at the latest 10 days after we interview. They will decide and mail the letters out, so we should know by the end of this month. Eek!

Thanks Nordicat! I called admissions earlier (because just I had to know) and she said the committee will meet at the latest 10 days after we interview. They will decide and mail the letters out, so we should know by the end of this month. Eek!

Good, cuz waiting a whole month last time I interviewed there was HELL!!! :laugh:

Oh, and greenmouse, maybe you can answer this question for me so I don't feel totally awkward and get myself stressed, for the interview when we enter the room should we go up to our interviewers and shake their hands and introduce ourselves or no?

I did shake hands and do introductions when I went in. The panelists briefly explained who they are (one is faculty, one a local vet, and the last a student) and we made some brief small-talk. One of them will be the main person reading the questions, so make sure to fight the urge to only address that person. Make eye contact with everyone else, too.

Hope that helps!

Does anyone know about the statistics of job placement after graduation? I'm wondering how many students actually get the job/residency they wanted and how broad the offerings are.

For those interviewing next week, how are you getting around? Are you taking a taxi from your hotel to the school or do you know of shuttles?

I did shake hands and do introductions when I went in. The panelists briefly explained who they are (one is faculty, one a local vet, and the last a student) and we made some brief small-talk. One of them will be the main person reading the questions, so make sure to fight the urge to only address that person. Make eye contact with everyone else, too.

Hope that helps!

Thanks greenmouse! Knowing this will give me more confidence when I go in, I won't feel so awkward about not knowing what to do!

For those interviewing next week, how are you getting around? Are you taking a taxi from your hotel to the school or do you know of shuttles?

I will have a car because I am driving up, I am staying at the Hilton Garden, so if anyone needs a ride I would be more than happy to help accommodate. I should be arriving in Champagne sometime mid afternoonish as well and maybe check out the sites, not sure. My mom will be with me, but I am all for meeting up for dinner, lunch, or breakfast. I would love to meet potential classmates (if I get in :scared: ).

I am getting really excited but nervous as well as the days tick by. I have made my roomate start asking me questions. She critiqued me quite heavly last night on inappropriate attire of PJ pants and hoodie :rolleyes:

Can any current students comment on how safe the campus and the area around the campus is? Also, since it's cold and snowy, are there apartments that are within walking distance of the school or some sort of good school public transportation service from major apartments to the school where you'd have an alternative to driving if your vehicle sucks in snow? Are they pretty good about clearing roads?

Members don't see this ad :)
I will have a car because I am driving up, I am staying at the Hilton Garden, so if anyone needs a ride I would be more than happy to help accommodate. I should be arriving in Champagne sometime mid afternoonish as well and maybe check out the sites, not sure. My mom will be with me, but I am all for meeting up for dinner, lunch, or breakfast. I would love to meet potential classmates (if I get in :scared: ).

I am getting really excited but nervous as well as the days tick by. I have made my roomate start asking me questions. She critiqued me quite heavly last night on inappropriate attire of PJ pants and hoodie :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I would love to take you up on the offer. I am staying at the Comfort Inn on Constitution Ave. I will be there later in the evening on the 12th, my flight lands at 7:05 pm. But I would definitely be willing to see that sights that evening. I could also use a ride to the school on Monday for the interviews. Mine is at 11:30 am but I could be ready to head over there early :) I could pm you my e-mail and phone #

Can any current students comment on how safe the campus and the area around the campus is? Also, since it's cold and snowy, are there apartments that are within walking distance of the school or some sort of good school public transportation service from major apartments to the school where you'd have an alternative to driving if your vehicle sucks in snow? Are they pretty good about clearing roads?

I'm currently at UIUC for undergrad so I think I can answer some of your questions...
It usually doesn't snow TOO much (except for the freak snowstorm last year where we got 20+ inches...but school was canceled that day). The snow is no where near as bad as the Chicago area. There are lots of houses within walking distance, but I can't think of any apartments that are really close. There are some dorms that are in walking distance. I am almost positive they are grad dorms and I know they are certainly not freshman dorms because they are kind of off campus (they are called Orchard Downs dorms or apartments if you want to look them up online). The bus system in Champaign/Urbana is AWESOME. I know of at least one bus that goes to vetmed campus every 30 minutes or so from allllll over campus so that is always an option if you get a house/apt further away. They have so many buses all over the place and if you really want to do your research, go to www.cumtd.com and you can map out where you want to live and the vet school and see what buses will take you there :) As far as snow clearing...Urbana SUCKS but Champaign is pretty good. You would probably want to live in Urbana in vet school though because its closer and not as full of loud/drunk undergrads (I live in Champaign now and love it....but i definitely will move to Urbana if I go to vet school here!). If your car sucks in snow, you're out of luck. I would definitely recommend the buses because my car is "good" in snow and I have trouble sometimes in Urbana. But like I said, we don't usually get a huge amount of snow...probably just one big storm a year.
Hope this helps!

I would love to take you up on the offer. I am staying at the Comfort Inn on Constitution Ave. I will be there later in the evening on the 12th, my flight lands at 7:05 pm. But I would definitely be willing to see that sights that evening. I could also use a ride to the school on Monday for the interviews. Mine is at 11:30 am but I could be ready to head over there early :) I could pm you my e-mail and phone #

I sent you a PM. My interview is also at 11:30 so this sounds like it will work out great! Yay!

The campus area itself is generally safe. There are obviously some crimes - mostly robbery. A lot of students don't lock their doors, or do stupid things while drinking. There are a few areas in the cities themselves that are not actually very good neighborhoods, but you can explore that more if you look into renting a house. PM at that point and I can tell you which areas to avoid.

There are a ton of vet students that live in a couple of communities South of campus in Savoy. Due to that, there are bus trips and carpools pretty frequently to campus from there.

Carpools are common in general as vet students tend to live in the same general areas, and our schedules are almost identical. Parking is available at the vet school, but it is kind of pricey. As Rocky said, the bus system is great. Very reliable and included in the student fee, so you can ride it as much as you want as a student. Roads are cleared pretty reliably. I drive a Camry and don't have huge issues. Sometimes it gets a bit slick and you have to drive very carefully and keep huge distances, but you can still get around.

Does everyone go alone on interview day or do parents/significant others attend as well?

My dad is coming with me due to my current status of being on crutches. I'm sure it's fine if they come with you. It hasn't been a problem at any school I've interviewed at yet. :).

Does everyone go alone on interview day or do parents/significant others attend as well?

I saw people come with parents last year. They are more than welcome to go to the info session or a tour with you.

I invited my mom to come, and sure enough she wanted to come. So my mom will be there. Maybe our parents can be parent buddies!

Thanks, GreenMouse and Rocky for your help! :)

Does UofI do terminal surgeries?

No, Mullets, Illinois doesn't do terminal surgeries. all our junior surgery and even senior surgery animals are from shelters and go on to get adopted.

Just to warn you all-the first and second years will be in mid term exams on monday! terrible timing, so-if you see some grouchy or anxious faces-don't be offended, it's not you, we will be stressed. you will be seeing your future........

i have extra time before and after my interview. any recommendations of where to walk around? Is champaign or urbana better, meaning where do students usually end up? any good vegan eats?

Champaign downtown is a bit better than Urbana, there are some nice cafe's and restaurants-plenty of veg options, but walking down Green St. in campus town is fun too-you can find the usual suspects there-Chipotle, Panera, noodles & co and there are a couple of medittaranean type places to get falafel and stuff.

Or you can be really adventerous and go to the Red Herring cafe-it's on campus and is in the basement of a Unitarian church-it's a veggie cafe that is only open from 11-3!

also-as far as where do students end up to live-honestly, it's kind of all over. There are many spread around the Urbana side because it's pretty close to the school. Lots of people end up living with roomates in subdivisions, and some people live in houses or apartments in Champaign. It really varies.

Good luck, everybody!!! (Yes, I am c/o 2015, even though I am "vetmed2014"--I was hopeful, now I can't change it) I can't believe that I was in the same place a whole YEAR ago! It's kind of surreal. However bad you think the interview will be...it is, absolutely horrible...just kidding. It's really not bad at all. I had the honor of interviewing twice, and both times went MUCH better then I thought they would.

Just don't worry, relax, everything is gonna be alright!

Again, GOOD LUCK!!! I'll be rooting for all of you during our mid-term!

Hey I was just wondering if anyone knew what the parking situation is for tomorrow? I drove in and will be checked out of my hotel by my interview time and wasn't sure if we were just allowed to park right on the vetmed campus because other schools told me to park in guest garages, etc.

Anyone else bunkered down in Eastland Suites? I'd love to meet a friendly face, haha. If not, can't wait to meet people tomorrow!

Hey I was just wondering if anyone knew what the parking situation is for tomorrow? I drove in and will be checked out of my hotel by my interview time and wasn't sure if we were just allowed to park right on the vetmed campus because other schools told me to park in guest garages, etc.
There are metered spots you can park in or you can park for free in lot F27 or F30.

http://vetmed.illinois.edu/asa/interviews/classof2016.htm

Just wanted to wish everyone GOOD LUCK!!! :luck:

Now, back to last-minute midterm studying...

Awesome to meet you all- Orca2011, BlackDog618, and bbeventer!!!! :D

:xf: for everyone! Hope y'all rocked that interview!

....and now, I must sleep. The nerves pretty much guaranteed I wasn't going to sleep much last night, and I am POOPED!

Does anyone know when/how final decisions are sent out?

Does anyone know when/how final decisions are sent out?
They will meet, select who is accepted, and send out letters. I think the earliest this could happen is this Friday, but responses should definitely go out by next week. The Admissions status page will change to reflect whether you were accepted or waitlisted, but not until after you get a letter.

The fun part is that this means I'm going to find out around my husband's birthday whether I got in or not. Hopefully it will be a duel celebration!

That's good to hear!! Last time I did this, it took a month before anyone heard anything. Definitely glad it'll be a short wait this time around.

I wouldn't get too excited to hear already next week. I remember finding out about 2-3 weeks after, but you never know.

in or not. Hopefully it will be a duel celebration!

a DUEL celebration? i'm imagining you guys with swords screaming 'my news is more worthy of celebrating than YOUR birthday!' etc.....

:D

Awesome to meet you all- Orca2011, BlackDog618, and bbeventer!!!! :D

:xf: for everyone! Hope y'all rocked that interview!

....and now, I must sleep. The nerves pretty much guaranteed I wasn't going to sleep much last night, and I am POOPED!

It was great meeting everyone too!! I hope we all get happy news next Friday, however, I feel like I totally botched my interview :(.
Ouf, I really don't know if I could go through this whole process a third time.

It was great meeting everyone too!! I hope we all get happy news next Friday, however, I feel like I totally botched my interview :(.
Ouf, I really don't know if I could go through this whole process a third time.

I totally bombed mine too and I know it. I could see the scores they were writing down. =(
Froze on every question.

I wouldn't get too excited to hear already next week. I remember finding out about 2-3 weeks after, but you never know.

Ok, so I was repeating what I was told by someone I trust who did go to the meeting and I may have misunderstood them. She said the earliest they would meet is Friday and they would definitely meet by next week. I was under the impression letters would go out a day or two later. I know when I interviewed in 2010 I had a letter about 2 weeks after my interview and I lived hundreds of miles away so the letter took a few days to get to me.

a DUEL celebration? i'm imagining you guys with swords screaming 'my news is more worthy of celebrating than YOUR birthday!' etc.....

:D

Hahaha, yeah that's standard procedure in this relationship.

Orca and bbeventer - Keep in mind, even if you didn't do that amazingly on your interview, your application counts more towards your acceptance. You may not have done that badly compared to everyone else, and even if you did you may still get in. Don't give up hope!

I totally bombed mine too and I know it. I could see the scores they were writing down. =(
Froze on every question.

Yikes, I did not see my scores but I bet they were not out of this world :rolleyes:

Orca and bbeventer - Keep in mind, even if you didn't do that amazingly on your interview, your application counts more towards your acceptance. You may not have done that badly compared to everyone else, and even if you did you may still get in. Don't give up hope!

I keep telling myself this, but at the same time I can't help but feel that I totally lost the mark with my interview. I guess time will tell.

Yikes, I did not see my scores but I bet they were not out of this world :rolleyes:

Consider yourself lucky that you didn't. I think it made me start freaking out more. Womp. Hoping they can tell I just panicked and maybe take it into consideration? I promise I am actually capable of answering questions in a coherent and reasonable manner.

Orca and bbe, I'm sure you two did better than you think! It was really nice meeting you the other day and I hope we all get some good news soon (you too, Nordicat)!! :xf:

Consider yourself lucky that you didn't. I think it made me start freaking out more. Womp. Hoping they can tell I just panicked and maybe take it into consideration? I promise I am actually capable of answering questions in a coherent and reasonable manner.

Yea, I could imagine. They should redesign the system where they take you out to lunch and then ask you questions. I think over food my brain thinks a lot more clearly then in a broom closet.

Orca and bbe, I'm sure you two did better than you think! It was really nice meeting you the other day and I hope we all get some good news soon (you too, Nordicat)!! :xf:

Yes it was great to meet you too!!! I was disappointed I did not run into you again after my interview. How did yours turn out?

Don't dwell too much on the scores they were writing down. From what a professor told me, at the end of the day you either get a plus, a minus, or a pass on the interview, so I don't think they actually calculate score totals for all of the questions. She said most people just get a pass, but if someone was particularly great they would get a +.

And if you guys are going to be dueling, can we please get that on video? haha

has anyone heard any news?

I haven't :( You gave me a heart attack though, I thought this thread was updated because people started hearing back.

I emailed the admissions office last week to see if they could tell me when exactly the admissions committee would meet and mail out letters and all I was told was letters would be mailed out by this Friday.....

Anyone else want to email them and see if they'll provide a more specific answer?? *nudgenudge**

I called last Friday- even though the Dean told us not to ( I just had to ask). I was told that they were going to be sent out this week. So not real specific, but they are suppose to go out by Friday. I'm IS so I'm hoping to hear by next Tuesday or so.

I know someone posted earlier that they would not change our status on the website until the letters were mailed out. If they're mailed out Friday, do you think they would be online by then? I'm OOS and will probably have to wait a couple of extra days for the letter to get here. I'm hoping for a quick alternative. :).