Illinois c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah my interview is also in the morning. I'll be driving down/staying the night 2/12 too. :)

Members don't see this ad.

When are you staying at the hotel? I'm thinking about going down on 2/12 and staying the night since my interview's at the buttcrack of dawn :laugh:

I'm getting in on the 12th and staying the night. We should definitely plan dinner! I'm flying home on the 13th at 530. I lucked out that my interview is at 1pm.

My interview isn't too early...it's at 11:30 AM so I will probably be staying in a hotel on the 12th as well. Unless my mom is really adamant about staying in Georgia Saturday and driving back Sunday, but I really don't see how that is possible going to work out. Unless she just wants to drive to Illinois from Alabama... So if I'm around, I'd be interested in doing something together, whether it's dinner, breakfast or even coffee.

Members don't see this ad :)
I still didn't get my letter yet--anyone else in the same boat??

Anyone else have Mississippi interview already scheduled for the 13th also? I don't know what to do!

I got mine today. And I see that you're in NJ, so maybe you'll get it tomorrow since I'm in PA and live about 1.5-2 hours from the PA/NJ border.

Thanks Orca :D

I still didn't get my letter yet--anyone else in the same boat??

I am still in Oregon, but according to my roommate I havent received mine yet either :confused: Hopefully when I get home its waiting for me.

Can any current students explain what you did for clinicals in your first year? It seems like you would be acting as a vet tech since you don't have any academic instruction behind you at all? Were you restraining animals and observing or was there any level of responsibilty that you think of clinical rotations traditionally having?

I'm a current first-year at Illinois and can elaborate a bit on this. Since they have to assume you know nothing because everyone comes from different backgrounds you are not given HUGE responsibilities. However, different rotations and different clinicians have different approaches.

On the ultrasound rotation we were allowed to restrain client animals, but that was it. However, in our downtime we were allowed to bring in our own pets (and one of the clinicians brought his dog) and we practiced on them. It was very cool! I also got to do an echocardiogram on my dog.

On most rotations with appointments you follow a 4th year into the room with the client. The 4th year does all of the talking, but you are usually allowed to look over their shoulder as they examine patients, and then feel/see anything interesting that comes up. You then follow them as they give their report to the clinician, assist with any diagnostics and treatments.

There are some rotations structured specifically for 1st years that have no clients. This includes Exotic Pet Management, Surgery Skills, and a few others. EPM is awesome as every day you focus on one species type (fish, reptiles, small mammals) and learn a ton about them from our main exotics professor (who is amazing) and then get to practice A TON of hands-on techniques. I managed to anesthetize a goldfish, take a bunch of biopsies, draw blood from its heart, AND wake it back up. The theme of that rotations is that if you can do it on a dog/cat, you can do it on anything else, so don't be scared to try.

I'll admit that some of the rotations are not as exciting as others, but if you go in with a good attitude and try to get as much out of the experience as possible, it is very cool and worthwhile. We had some people that whined and moaned about how they were not allowed to do anything, and so they just sat around. Well - THAT'S why they got to do nothing, because they did not seek out the experiences. So it's really what you make of it. If you want to sit on your butt all day surfing the net - go for it, but that's your loss.

Overall I had a great experience and can't wait to go back during my 2nd year! Assuming I survive this one...

As a note - your interviews fall on the last day of our midterms (they are Wednesday to Monday), so if you see some grumpy, exhausted students - be nice :laugh:

Edit: Adding all rotation options in case anyone is interested. You are assigned randomly the 1st year.
Small Animal Surgery: Orthopedics
Small Animal Surgery: Soft Tissue
Equine: Surgery
Equine: Internal Medicine
Small Animal: Internal Medicine
Small Animal: Emergency Medicine
Small Animal: Primary Care (either in C-U or in Chicago -> your choice if you want to do Chicago)
Exotic Pet Management (only 1st years)
WEAMS (client-owned exotics)
Oncology
Imaging
Ultrasound
Surgical Skills (only 1st years)
Farm Animal Husbandry Techniques (only 1st years)

I'm probably forgetting something... but those are the ones I can come up with off of the top of my head.

Last edited:
So, I was looking through the rejection list and noticed, has Illinois not sent out any rejection letters yet? Last year I received mine around Christmas.

So, I was looking through the rejection list and noticed, has Illinois not sent out any rejection letters yet? Last year I received mine around Christmas.

They definitely have; the OOSers who didn't make the GPA cutoff this cycle have already been sent The Letter.

Anyone else have Mississippi interview already scheduled for the 13th also? I don't know what to do!

I did, but Missy was more than happy to switch the date...she offered the 8th (I don't think many, if any people are interviewing that day), the 14th or 15th.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
They definitely have; the OOSers who didn't make the GPA cutoff this cycle have already been sent The Letter.

Oh, I guess SDNers were lucky and made the cut. So my roommate text me and I received my letter!! I will find out the time when I go home today and open it. Lets just hope its the right letter :laugh:

Oh, I guess SDNers were lucky and made the cut. So my roommate text me and I received my letter!! I will find out the time when I go home today and open it. Lets just hope its the right letter :laugh:

:laugh: I'm sure it is the right letter! The rejections appear to have gone out over a month ago, according to the rejection thread. Hooray for you!!! :)

Just booked the hotel for the 12th!!

Are there any current students willing to host people during their interview? I'm coming out from NJ and the cost of the plane ticket is hard enough, let alone the hotel cost, too! A place to stay on sunday night would be awesome and I think I'll fly out Monday night. I might come in on saturday just for a cheaper flight, but even one night would be helpful! I'd really love to spend time with another student and really get the full experience!
Thanks!!!

:laugh: I'm sure it is the right letter! The rejections appear to have gone out over a month ago, according to the rejection thread. Hooray for you!!! :)

Just booked the hotel for the 12th!!

Yea! Its the right letter! Haha! Where are you staying? I was thinking of getting a hotel for Sunday night too, that way its not much of a scramble Monday morning.

Yea! Its the right letter! Haha! Where are you staying? I was thinking of getting a hotel for Sunday night too, that way its not much of a scramble Monday morning.

Sunday is the 12th! :p I got a room at the Holiday Inn on Killarney. It's where I stayed last time :laugh:

So rant turned rave (sort of situation).

I just tried to book my flight to Chicago because I had some travel funds to use from a previous flight. Well I apparently suck at reading fine print and missed the memo about how your flight that you plan on using the funds for has to occur before their expiration date. Whoops. There goes $48...which could have been worse. Totally thought my voucher was for like $100. However, after being on hold with Southwest for like an hour as he tried to figure out why it wasn't accepting my funds, he originally told me he was going to honor the $135 price for each trip. Totally went along with that because the website was telling me $160 for each way. Ended up saving $50 anyways and will be earning points for this trip. So I guess some good still came out of it. Just wish I could have gotten as lucky as I did when I was coming back from England and managed to get out of paying $300-400 worth of baggage fees.

So rant turned rave (sort of situation).

I just tried to book my flight to Chicago because I had some travel funds to use from a previous flight. Well I apparently suck at reading fine print and missed the memo about how your flight that you plan on using the funds for has to occur before their expiration date. Whoops. There goes $48...which could have been worse. Totally thought my voucher was for like $100. However, after being on hold with Southwest for like an hour as he tried to figure out why it wasn't accepting my funds, he originally told me he was going to honor the $135 price for each trip. Totally went along with that because the website was telling me $160 for each way. Ended up saving $50 anyways and will be earning points for this trip. So I guess some good still came out of it. Just wish I could have gotten as lucky as I did when I was coming back from England and managed to get out of paying $300-400 worth of baggage fees.

Yea! I am glad it worked out (kinda) for you.

Side note, you know what I realized... they have us interviewing at the same time...? I am at 11:30 too.

It was 5 years ago, so possibly irrelevant, but last time I interviewed at U of I there were multiple interview "teams". So it would make sense if people are scheduled for the same times. :)

It was 5 years ago, so possibly irrelevant, but last time I interviewed at U of I there were multiple interview "teams". So it would make sense if people are scheduled for the same times. :)

I interviewed there two years ago and have spoken to current students since and they are still doing multiple teams (still one faculty member, one vet from the area, and one student). It's the only way they can interview all 300 people in one day.:)

I interviewed there two years ago and have spoken to current students since and they are still doing multiple teams (still one faculty member, one vet from the area, and one student). It's the only way they can interview all 300 people in one day.:)

Haha okay. I thought "how odd, orca and I are going to have a group interview together..."

No offence orca, but I am glad that is not the case. I don't like to share my spotlight :p

Random question, when you emailed in your interview conformation did you get a return email?

Random question, when you emailed in your interview conformation did you get a return email?

I didn't get any reply, and I really didn't think anything of it until just now when your question sent me into a random burst of "OMG DID I SEND MY EMAIL TO THE WRONG ADDRESS" fit of momentary worry haha. Maybe they will reply after the 27th, since they said that was the deadline to respond.

Haha okay. I thought "how odd, orca and I are going to have a group interview together..."

No offence orca, but I am glad that is not the case. I don't like to share my spotlight :p

Haha. Understandable. It would be rather awkward. I feel like it would also make us too competitive to the point where it hurts both of us, you know?

Haha. Understandable. It would be rather awkward. I feel like it would also make us too competitive to the point where it hurts both of us, you know?

Defiantly. We might instantly turn into the dreadful one-uppers :eek: Its good to know they have multiple groups going at once.

I am glad to know you guys haven't heard back from them too, I was starting to worry lol.

If you're worried about them getting your interview conformation email, just check your status page. Mine now says 'interview accepted' and the scheduled time. :)

If you're worried about them getting your interview conformation email, just check your status page. Mine now says 'interview accepted' and the scheduled time. :)

THANKS! great common sense suggestion that I did not even consider haha.

Also-does anyone have any suggestions for a hotel to stay in that is near the vet school?

Mulletsarelove,
Here are the discounted hotel rates as posted on their website. http://vetmed.illinois.edu/asa/interviews/documents/HotelBlockInformation_003.pdf
It says that you have to book a room by Jan 12th to get the cheap rate, but if they still have a room in the vet med block, I'll bet they'll give it to you at the lower price. I booked mine last mine and they gave me the deal still. I would hurry though, because the first 3 hotels I called were already full.

Mulletsarelove,
Here are the discounted hotel rates as posted on their website. http://vetmed.illinois.edu/asa/interviews/documents/HotelBlockInformation_003.pdf
It says that you have to book a room by Jan 12th to get the cheap rate, but if they still have a room in the vet med block, I'll bet they'll give it to you at the lower price. I booked mine last mine and they gave me the deal still. I would hurry though, because the first 3 hotels I called were already full.

Somehow I missed that link when I looked over it earlier. Thanks! Yeah, I know I'm a little late but I had Mississippi on the 14th and wasn't sure how I was going to make it work scheduling wise. Hopefully some of them are open still.

anyone looking for a buddy to share a hotel room with to cut costs?

Ah, now that was just too easy ;)

Thanks

Are there any current students willing to host people during their interview?
Thanks!!!

I didn't want to leave you hanging on this with no response. I don't have any room at my place, but I know that any current students who might are reluctant to host anyone because we have Day 2 of our midterm on the day of your interview. :( It might seem like a ridiculous reason, but during midterms we really only have time to eat, sleep, and shower (if lucky). Sorry.

The good news is that we will be done after Monday, so we will be free that night if anyone wants to meet up and grab some food, or we can show you around town or something. I did that after my interview last year and I met two SDN'ers who became my friends and were really helpful when it came to me moving out here from CA.

I didn't want to leave you hanging on this with no response. I don't have any room at my place, but I know that any current students who might are reluctant to host anyone because we have Day 2 of our midterm on the day of your interview. :( It might seem like a ridiculous reason, but during midterms we really only have time to eat, sleep, and shower (if lucky). Sorry.

The good news is that we will be done after Monday, so we will be free that night if anyone wants to meet up and grab some food, or we can show you around town or something. I did that after my interview last year and I met two SDN'ers who became my friends and were really helpful when it came to me moving out here from CA.
Thank you for getting back to me! I appreciate the information, and now completely understand why no one offered! I haven't decided if I should just fly out monday night and save on the hotel fare, but if I'm around late enough, I'd love to meet up! I'm coming from NJ.

Anyone know if we're supposed to bring a picture to our interview?

No, you don't. Or at least I didn't have to bring one two years ago and I didn't see anything on the website about bringing one.

No, you don't. Or at least I didn't have to bring one two years ago and I didn't see anything on the website about bringing one.

I second this, I have never heard anything about U of I (or anywhere else, actually) requiring a photograph! They certainly didn't 5 years back, and I'm aware that things DO change, but I haven't seen photographs mentioned in any of the correspondence so far.

Does the concept sound kinda creepy/weird to anyone else? :laugh: I'd be half-tempted to give them something like this:
untitled.bmp

Last edited:
I second this, I have never heard anything about U of I (or anywhere else, actually) requiring a photograph! They certainly didn't 5 years back, and I'm aware that things DO change, but I haven't seen photographs mentioned in any of the correspondence so far.

Does the concept sound kinda creepy/weird to anyone else? :laugh: I'd be half-tempted to give them something like this:
untitled.bmp

Haha. I only asked because I have to bring one to my other interviews and I had to do the same last year (not at U of I- first time applying to them this year). I didn't see anything in the letter or the website but I've been known to occasionally miss details so I thought I'd double check. And as for being weird, I don't think bringing one to the interview is weird since it helps them put a face to name when making decisions, but when I applied to Auburn, they wanted one sent with their supplemental application. That caught me a little off guard.

I don't think bringing one to the interview is weird since it helps them put a face to name when making decisions, but when I applied to Auburn, they wanted one sent with their supplemental application. That caught me a little off guard.

True, and I'm sure that's really the only reason they would want a picture. As for sending one w/the supplemental app, I'd (personally) worry they were judging me on looks/weight/zits/whatever before they got to meet me! :laugh: I'm pretty non-photogenic and a bit self-conscious, usually. Could you tell?!?!?!?! :scared:

True, and I'm sure that's really the only reason they would want a picture. As for sending one w/the supplemental app, I'd (personally) worry they were judging me on looks/weight/zits/whatever before they got to meet me! :laugh: I'm pretty non-photogenic and a bit self-conscious, usually. Could you tell?!?!?!?! :scared:

Haha, don't worry. I was wondering the same thing when I saw that requirement. The picture I sent was actually like a year old (from my interviews last year) and I didn't think it was a great one. Apparently it didn't hurt me...at least not yet.

untitled.bmp

I had a creepy professor once take pictures on her phone of each student (86 of them), her reason.... to remember our names. That creeped me out.

I had a creepy professor once take pictures on her phone of each student (86 of them), her reason.... to remember our names. That creeped me out.

My Bio-ethic professor did that this past spring. It was a little weird especially since my school gave professors a photo roster to begin with. His reasoning was that since most of us were juniors and seniors, he felt our photo roster pictures were a little outdated. And I think he said he couldn't really seem them either. Might be making that last part up though...it seems like forever ago.

Haha odd. Question: So what should we bring to our interview?

I have a leather folder that has my school's name on it that I'll bring because it has a notepad of paper in it for any notes I want to take during tours or in response to questions I asked the interviewers. I'll probably just also bring a few copies of a resume since there's a few things I'll have added from when I applied.

Bring a smile! :D

But really - when I interviewed last year I just brought a nice leather folio with a notepad in it. That was about all that I needed. They'll give you a thick information packet that will contain most things you will want to know about, but I still took some notes. There will be at least one info session (maybe 2) where they will give out more information and answer questions, so it was nice having a notepad for that.

Last year the interviews were closed-file: this means the interviewers know nothing about you. They do not see your resume or anything else. They ask a set of questions. They are not allowed to elaborate or respond to your answers. This is to try and make a level playing field among all interviewees and reduce variability due to the different panels. It can be a little weird to not get a respond to your answers, but keep in mind that everyone else interviewing is having the same experience! Don't let it get to you!

There will also be tours offered, so if you wear fancy shoes, you may want to bring some more comfortable ones to change into :)

And remember - relax, do your best, be confident, and SMILE!

I have a leather folder that has my school's name on it that I'll bring because it has a notepad of paper in it for any notes I want to take during tours or in response to questions I asked the interviewers. I'll probably just also bring a few copies of a resume since there's a few things I'll have added from when I applied.

Bring a smile! :D

But really - when I interviewed last year I just brought a nice leather folio with a notepad in it. That was about all that I needed. They'll give you a thick information packet that will contain most things you will want to know about, but I still took some notes. There will be at least one info session (maybe 2) where they will give out more information and answer questions, so it was nice having a notepad for that.

Last year the interviews were closed-file: this means the interviewers know nothing about you. They do not see your resume or anything else. They ask a set of questions. They are not allowed to elaborate or respond to your answers. This is to try and make a level playing field among all interviewees and reduce variability due to the different panels. It can be a little weird to not get a respond to your answers, but keep in mind that everyone else interviewing is having the same experience! Don't let it get to you!

There will also be tours offered, so if you wear fancy shoes, you may want to bring some more comfortable ones to change into :)

And remember - relax, do your best, be confident, and SMILE!

Thanks guys! Greenmouse I am so glad you told me they will not be responding to my answers, otherwise during my whole interview I would be freaking out about my poor answers that have them stunned to silence :laugh:

Thanks guys! Greenmouse I am so glad you told me they will not be responding to my answers, otherwise during my whole interview I would be freaking out about my poor answers that have them stunned to silence :laugh:

Oooor - your answers are so BRILLIANT that you stunned them into silence :p I think you should totally view it that way. Way bigger confidence boost. You'll leave feeling awesome :)

And to elaborate on the format - I think last year they allocated 30 minutes per interviewee. However, since the panelists don't respond, your interview can go REALLY fast. Don't let that freak you out, either. Take as much or as little time as you need. A friend of mine who got in took only 11 minutes in her interview. I think I took around 15. So don't fret about taking up the whole half hour. Just because you were done in half the time doesn't mean that you will or won't get in.

Well our interview is only... 6 days away! And as such things go with me I start to go over ever detail in my head. Is it just me or are the interview feed back questions currently not working :confused: I have been able to get them to work before but not this time.

Oh, and greenmouse, maybe you can answer this question for me so I don't feel totally awkward and get myself stressed, for the interview when we enter the room should we go up to our interviewers and shake their hands and introduce ourselves or no?

I told you, every detail. :laugh: