Illinois c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From what I remember from the information session, I think Dean Foreman said we would get our letters in the mail before the status change online. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Members don't see this ad.

I know someone posted earlier that they would not change our status on the website until the letters were mailed out. If they're mailed out Friday, do you think they would be online by then? I'm OOS and will probably have to wait a couple of extra days for the letter to get here. I'm hoping for a quick alternative. :).

If I remember correctly, they updated the online statuses long after letters were mailed out. They want to be sure everyone gets their letter before the online status is changed.

If I remember correctly, they updated the online statuses long after letters were mailed out. They want to be sure everyone gets their letter before the online status is changed.

Okay, thanks for letting me know. I guess I was just being overly optimistic. Here's to hoping my mailman likes me! ;).

Members don't see this ad :)
waitlisted at u of i which was my top choice :( I am IS. does anyone know about how many they call off the waitlist every year? p.s. they wont tell you what number you are on the waitlist so I have no idea whether to keep my hopes up or not

waitlisted at u of i which was my top choice :( I am IS. does anyone know about how many they call off the waitlist every year? p.s. they wont tell you what number you are on the waitlist so I have no idea whether to keep my hopes up or not

I'm IS and haven't seen or heard anything from them yet!

I can tell you this much, I was waitlisted at #50 5 years ago and they told me that it was unlikely I would be offered admission. Needless to say, I never got in that year! :rolleyes:

Does your letter at least say "likely", "somewhat likely" or something of that nature? In the past they've used wording like that to kind of put you into a category but not necessarily a number.

I'm instate and live in Champaign County and haven't gotten anything yet.... They send all of the letters out at the same time, right? Our mail person has a tendency to deliver mail to the wrong boxes and I'm really hoping that didn't just happen.....

I'm instate and live in Champaign County and haven't gotten anything yet.... They send all of the letters out at the same time, right? Our mail person has a tendency to deliver mail to the wrong boxes and I'm really hoping that didn't just happen.....
Yeah, I think they do send them at the same time, so it's weird that one person got theirs and no one else did.

Wow I didn't think they'd be in the mail yet. Wish I could go home to check the mail now.

Does your letter at least say "likely", "somewhat likely" or something of that nature? In the past they've used wording like that to kind of put you into a category but not necessarily a number.

I received my letter today and I am also an alternate. Mine does not say anything about where I am on the list.

I will be declining my spot on the waitlist though....:luck: and :xf: to everyone else on it!!

I wonder if they sent out alternates first? I guess we'll find out in the next few days!

Good luck everyone!!!!! :xf: :luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)

No my letter doesnt say any hints at all. :( Just to fill out the form and every year "we are able to invite students from the alternate list"...ahh i dont know what to do

No my letter doesnt say any hints at all. :( Just to fill out the form and every year "we are able to invite students from the alternate list"...ahh i dont know what to do

You can still do the file review with them, and that's how I learned I missed getting accepted by 1.5 points (yet there were nearly 50 people ahead of me on the waitlist!) 5 years ago. I also learned that one of my LORs sucked and one was excellent (guess which one I used this time around? :smuggrin: )Schedule a review ASAP! :)

I wonder if they sent out alternates first? I guess we'll find out in the next few days!

Good luck everyone!!!!! :xf: :luck::luck::luck:

Oh don't say that... you are getting my hopes up! Mail man better watch it tomorrow... I may tackle him! :luck::xf:

You can still do the file review with them, and that's how I learned I missed getting accepted by 1.5 points (yet there were nearly 50 people ahead of me on the waitlist!) 5 years ago. I also learned that one of my LORs sucked and one was excellent (guess which one I used this time around? :smuggrin: )Schedule a review ASAP! :)

Wait, I thought they wouldn't tell you what your letters of recommendation said unless you didn't waive your right to see them and go accepted? Or is it ok for them to say, "Dr. SecretlyHatesEveryone wrote you a terrible letter but Dr. Sweetheart thinks you're the best thing since sliced bread?" since that's not the same as letting you read the letter. When I got my file review they told me all of my letters were good, but I always assumed if they were bad they would just say that one or two or whatever letters weren't good without saying who wrote the bad ones.

Wait, I thought they wouldn't tell you what your letters of recommendation said unless you didn't waive your right to see them and go accepted? Or is it ok for them to say, "Dr. SecretlyHatesEveryone wrote you a terrible letter but Dr. Sweetheart thinks you're the best thing since sliced bread?" since that's not the same as letting you read the letter. When I got my file review they told me all of my letters were good, but I always assumed if they were bad they would just say that one or two or whatever letters weren't good without saying who wrote the bad ones.

Yeah, it was pretty much a summary of what they said :) I never got to actually read any of them. It could have been because that one letter actually made the difference of me not getting in vs getting accepted :mad: Grrr.....
At my Ohio State interview this year, they told me my two letters from veterinarians said lots of good things, so I don't think there's a "rule" that they can't tell you *anything*. I always waive my right to see the letters...I figure there's no point if you only get to see them if you're accepted! Most writers will give you a copy if you ask, anyway. It's probably a good sign you shouldn't have them write on your behalf if they aren't comfortable sharing with you!

I feel like U of I really messed up this year. I haven't talked to a single person who got in. In fact every overly qualified person I spoke to here was wailisted. Even those including myself that got into better schools and have devoted out undergrad to this institution. Very confusing

Can you give us an idea of what qualifications these over qualified people who got waitlisted had? Just so maybe we can see how we stack up, or if there's a trend? :/

What the heck? Still nothing here, and I'm just an hour and a half north. May be a good OR bad sign.

I feel like U of I really messed up this year. I haven't talked to a single person who got in. In fact every overly qualified person I spoke to here was wailisted. Even those including myself that got into better schools and have devoted out undergrad to this institution. Very confusing

I agree. I have been accepted at 2 OOS schools that are "harder" to get in and I also know that my stats are above what Illinois normally accepts for IS....

Can you give us an idea of what qualifications these over qualified people who got waitlisted had? Just so maybe we can see how we stack up, or if there's a trend? :/

I'll PM you my stats. I don't believe I am over-qualified by any means, but I have gotten in to schools that I believed were a MUCH bigger stretch for me than Illinois since it is my IS.

I'll PM you my stats. I don't believe I am over-qualified by any means, but I have gotten in to schools that I believed were a MUCH bigger stretch for me than Illinois since it is my IS.

That'd be great if you could pm me. I'm IS too and definitely don't feel I'm overqualified, but I think I have a good amount of varied experience, so it'd be nice to see what experience they are waitlisting... Of course it may have to do with personal statements, supplemental essays, eLORS, etc...

I think this kind of situation is happening at a lot of schools honestly, or maybe that's just how I'm feeling. I look at people's stats on the accepted students thread and then look at mine and find them comparable but I've been flat out rejected from most of the schools I applied to or rejected immediately following my interview. I'm not saying I'm not happy for those accepted or anything, but just a little confused/hurt. And I'm definitely not saying I deserve to automatically be given a spot or anything like that either.

Yeah, I think they do send them at the same time, so it's weird that one person got theirs and no one else did.

I called the admissions office a little bit ago and was told that the letters were not all sent out together. So maybe the alternates are going to get their letters' first??

I agree. I blew the stats from last year out of the water. Had literally thousands of hours of experience. I mean my interview could have went better but I was dressed well, made eye contact etc so I would think I would have gotten some points for that kind of stuff. And why in the world would they send out alternates before acceptances?! That seems so backwards

. And why in the world would they send out alternates before acceptances?! That seems so backwards

That does seem backwards... then it's almost like you don't want to get a letter yet! I'm surprised they said they weren't all sent out at the same time... :scared:

What the heck? Still nothing here, and I'm just an hour and a half north. May be a good OR bad sign.

Take it as a good sign NordiCat.... I just got my Alternate letter :(

I officially don't know what to do with myself. I don't want to go through all that again :(

Take it as a good sign NordiCat.... I just got my Alternate letter :(

I officially don't know what to do with myself. I don't want to go through all that again :(

I don't know...no one has gotten a rejection letter yet, either. I was not at a good place on the waitlist last time around, so I'm not getting my hopes too high!

I remember it being said that if you got an interview you will be accepted or waitlisted, so dont worry about a rejection! (I think) :)

I called the admissions office a little bit ago and was told that the letters were not all sent out together. So maybe the alternates are going to get their letters' first??

Did they say when the second round of letters were sent out? I wonder if they were like a day apart, or they will be a week apart or what...:confused:

I'm confused. So to sum up: not all letters are sent out at once, we're not quite sure what order the letters get sent out in, and we might not find out by the end of February because that's when I thought they told us to expect letters. Is that right?

I remember it being said that if you got an interview you will be accepted or waitlisted, so dont worry about a rejection! (I think) :)
Your right. No one who interviewed will be getting a rejection letter.

WL letters were likely sent out in the past two days; on Wednesday and Thursday. Therefore, people that are IS have been receiving them on Thursday and Friday. For OOS applicants, it will probably be a few more days until you receive the WL letter that is if you are getting one.

From people who have called the admissions, they said they will mail out the decision by this Friday, which is today. There is no one receiving an acceptance letter yet by the looks of it, so if acceptance were sent out today (Friday), IS people will receive them on Saturday. So tomorrow should be the big day for acceptance if they kept their promise. Now the question is we don't know if there are more WL that went out today so tomorrow could also be a mix of WL and acceptance letters.

I'm only 2.5 hours away from Urbana and still no letter. This is driving me crazy- hopefully it will come today!

I GOT MY LETTER!! I'M IN!!!!

P.S. I live in Savoy, very close to Champaign-Urbana.

PS was it a thin envelope or a packet of some sort??

It was a thin normal sized envelope with about 3 pieces of paper in it, so don't panic when you see how small it is :)

Good luck everybody else! I hope you all get good news :luck:

Congrats, Tco!!! :)
Still nothing here...booooo no mail tomorrow! :(

Congrats Tco! I'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone else!

Soooo... we had what we call "Vetscapades" last night, which is pretty much a skit/performance/humor night.

This was the winning video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gUuzHfPH0s

A quick explanation: all first years get a dog skeleton in a box at the beginning of the year (you have to return it at the end).

This one is from last year, but we got an encore this year as well as a new song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqbvwwpt0iw

Look - there is time for fun in vet school! :laugh: Good luck and even if things don't work out perfectly this year, at least hopefully this cheered you up a bit and keep you going strong!

Hey, Illinoisans!

Who wants to give me and my husband le tour of the school on St. Patty's Day? I'll be in town for a wedding, and I'd love to see the school!

I'll be here! I'll PM you with my contact info. :)

I got my acceptance letter today!!! I'm OOS (Houston); I'm surprised it got here so early!!!

Congratulations to everyone who got their acceptance letters and good luck to those still waiting!!!

Me too!! It sure did look like a "thin letter of doom" on the outside! :laugh:

Congrats, Arwen!!! :thumbup:

Yay!!! Congrats Arwin and Nordi!