Illinois C/O 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

battie

U. Illinois
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen this thread posted yet, so here ya go.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello! 3rd time applicant, 1st time to Illinois! OOS, 23 F

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There are a few recent grads floating around, and some current students :) Good luck to yall!!

First time OOS applicant, UIUC is one of my top choices. So excited to be applying here!!

Hello! Does anyone know if one of the LORs *has* to be from an academic advisor or professor? I know that's typically recommended, but I saw it on their checklist online and wanted to see if it would disqualify me if I didn't.

Hello! Does anyone know if one of the LORs *has* to be from an academic advisor or professor? I know that's typically recommended, but I saw it on their checklist online and wanted to see if it would disqualify me if I didn't.
I’m not sure. I know a lot of schools want that if you’re applying to multiple though. Maybe send them an email to ask!

If they specifically say on their checklist they want an advisor or professor, I would definitely have one. You could always email ASA to double check though.

Anyone know if Illinois sends emails to say they've received your application or do we not hear from them until decisions/interview invites?

Members don't see this ad :)
Heyyy! Third time OOS applicant! Good luck everyone!

Hi! 2nd time OOS applicant. Best of luck everyone!

Hey!! First time OOS applicant- good luck everyone!

Hi everyone! First time IS applicant. Good luck to you all!

Anyone know when OOS interview notifications go out?

Hey everyone! First time IS applicant here. I have some questions about UIUC that I haven’t been able to find answers to online, so I figured I’d ask here. Does UIUC use a grade scale? Or do they use a pass/fail system. Also, are lectures typically (pre-Covid) required in person? Or are they like a lot of med schools, where they’re recorded and you can watch on your own at your own pace. Thanks!

Hey everyone! First time IS applicant here. I have some questions about UIUC that I haven’t been able to find answers to online, so I figured I’d ask here. Does UIUC use a grade scale? Or do they use a pass/fail system. Also, are lectures typically (pre-Covid) required in person? Or are they like a lot of med schools, where they’re recorded and you can watch on your own at your own pace. Thanks!
We do have a grade system here but only for didactics. Clinics (including the first/second year ones) are all pass/fail. Lectures are not mandatory attendance aside from our Colloquiums a couple days a week before your first/second year rotations. Labs like anatomy lab obviously are not recorded (anatomy lecture is) but every other core lecture is recorded, aside from any tech issues where the recording gets messed up. Electives are not recorded.

Reactions: 4 users
As far as the grade scale, you only have 3 grades a year (1 per quarter). Your percentage is what matters, not your GPA.

Last edited:
Hello! 2nd time applicant, I am OOS but this is my first time applying to U of I!

Anyone know if Illinois sends emails to say they've received your application or do we not hear from them until decisions/interview invites?
Yeah, I am wondering the same thing...the only email they sent me was that they received my supplemental fee. Can I assume that they have received my actual application as well? Did anyone receive more than just that fee confirmation email?

Yeah, I am wondering the same thing...the only email they sent me was that they received my supplemental fee. Can I assume that they have received my actual application as well? Did anyone receive more than just that fee confirmation email?
You usually won’t hear anything until about December saying if you made it past phase 1 or not

What is the typical class schedule like? I looked on the website, and the sample schedule shows classes from approximately 8am-6pm Monday-Friday. Is that the basic time frame for classes all 4 years?

What is the typical class schedule like? I looked on the website, and the sample schedule shows classes from approximately 8am-6pm Monday-Friday. Is that the basic time frame for classes all 4 years?
Depends on the year and classes. Certain electives are later in the day. So you may be done with core classes at 1 or 2, but have an elective at 5 or 6. Labs second year were switched around as well.

During clinical quarters, you're at the mercy of the clinicians.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, i got an email from UIUC regarding the "bulk" test credit on my transcript. They asked me to request my institution's registrar to send them an email indicating what credits went into the bulk amount. Im guessing this is the IB curriculum/test that i took during HS and so I asked my registrar for the request. The problem is, my registrar has said that they cannot do IB verification. I told UIUC about this, and they said that this means that they wont be able to use any coursework that went into the bulk amount into consideration. I was wondering if this would be a problem. All the pre-requisite requirement are classes that i took or am taking in uni, so would it impact me at all if my HS credits are not taken into consideration? Does this mean I am an incomplete applicant? Any advice on what i should do would be helpful!

All the pre-requisite requirement are classes that i took or am taking in uni, so would it impact me at all if my HS credits are not taken into consideration? Does this mean I am an incomplete applicant?
Since all the prerequisites are university classes, probs not an issue. But that's a question for ASA.

Does anyone have tips on how to prepare for interviews? I have been practicing answering potential interview questions and participating in "mock interviews," but was wondering if anyone had any additional UIUC specific tips for preparation!

Mock interviews were what helped me the most. Just being able to answer questions a bit more easily, even if it wasn’t what I was asked in my interview, helped me a lot.
Sdn has an interview feedback section where some people post questions they’ve been asked in different interviews. I don’t know if anyone has actually posted anything for uiuc since we were told we are not allowed to share questions and it’s an honor code violation, but you could at least look through those for different vet schools, even if there isn’t stuff for uiuc

Does anyone have tips on how to prepare for interviews? I have been practicing answering potential interview questions and participating in "mock interviews," but was wondering if anyone had any additional UIUC specific tips for preparation!
I find it difficult to prepare for interviews because they can be different setups. I've had two interviews that lasted an hour each, they were both a lot about myself and experiences with some of the "tell me about a time this happened and how you reacted." Personally, I think the worst type is the scenario ones. I know one school this was all the interview was, it was stuff like declawing, debarking, laws against breeds...the basic dilemmas as to be expected. And I hate this because I can always see both sides of why one decision would be made over another. Also, if you have any lower grades or periods without experiences, be prepared to talk about that, over 3 cycles and 5 interviews, I've only had this actually come up once as a topic, but it definitely helps to be prepared to explain anything like that.

Also, if you have any lower grades or periods without experiences, be prepared to talk about that, over 3 cycles and 5 interviews, I've only had this actually come up once as a topic, but it definitely helps to be prepared to explain anything like that.
Specifically for UIUC, this won’t come up. They do closed file interviews so they pretty much know nothing about you aside from your name

Specifically for UIUC, this won’t come up. They do closed file interviews so they pretty much know nothing about you aside from your name
In all honesty, I prefer closed file interviews. I’ve never interviewed with UIUC, I was just speaking in general terms for interviews

In all honesty, I prefer closed file interviews. I’ve never interviewed with UIUC, I was just speaking in general terms for interviews
I kind of did as well.
And I figured you were, I was just clarifying for anyone on here that for UIUC specifically that it wouldn’t come up :)

Hey! I’m a current first year. During the first quarter, MWF was typically 9-4 with an hour for lunch (and the occasional 8am). Tuesdays were 9-3 and Thursdays 9-12. I’ve been on clinics the past couple of weeks and they recently implemented a half day requirement for certain rotations. My day usually started anywhere between 7-9 and ended at noon. This week has been 8-3/4 everyday so it varies a bit!

Got rejected earlier this week which I'll be honest I'm a little confused about. Lat year I got waitlisted, and this year they said my GPA was too low even though it went up since last year. I'll probably end up calling them to ask.

• Care
Got rejected earlier this week which I'll be honest I'm a little confused about. Lat year I got waitlisted, and this year they said my GPA was too low even though it went up since last year. I'll probably end up calling them to ask.

I’m so sorry to hear that :( I would definitely try to find out or see if there were other factors. When did you submit your application?

I’d have to check again for them, but some schools don’t necessarily have a set GPA cut off but they choose a cut off based on that cycle’s applicant pool, so that may have an influence on the differences between the two years. (So there may have been more people applying this year with higher GPAs which causes the cut off to be at a higher GPA than before)

If you’re comfortable could you share your GPA? And if you’re IS or OOS?

Should I be concerned if I have not heard anything from Illinois yet? I have not gotten a confirmation email or anything from them (I am a first time OOS applicant)
i’m OOS, I haven’t heard anything either, I wouldn’t be concerned! Most people don’t hear from them about Phase II until december

No news is good news

I'm OOS and I was rejected already so if you haven't heard anything yet it's probably good.

Do you mind sharing when you submitted your application and your GPA?
I submitted on August 28 and my VMCAS GPA is a 3.7. I'm not really sure as to why I didn't make it past phase 1 to be honest, unless they had an issue with my prereqs.