Illinois C/O 2026

Started by battie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For anyone that's rejected/waitlisted somewhere along this ride, I encourage you to set up an appointment with ASA to discuss your application after signing day in April. It's the only way to know the school's perspective and how to improve if you need to reapply next cycle.

Also keep in mind that when you submitted your application has 0 baring on illinois's admissions process.
 
For those who were OOS rejected, how did you hear? My GPA is not competitive but I haven't heard a single thing from them yet since submitting application in September... def worried lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you've been currently rejected, it's due to an application issue such as not having a pre-requisite or something to that effect. The phase 1 rejections/passes are December, phase 2 rejections/passes are January, and acceptance/wait list are sent late February/early March.

No news is good news at this point.

Where in their website tells us that planned pre-req must be listed on VMCAS or you will be rejected?
How else would they know you're going to fulfill the requirements? It's really nice of other schools to ask for an update, but no school is obligated to do so. If you're missing a prerequisite on your application, it's an incomplete application. When schools are dealing with 1000+ applications with an admissions department of 6-10 people (depending on the school), there comes a point where they can't give leeway because they don't have the man power and time to do so. It's the applicant's responsibility to make sure there application is complete, including all prerequisites necessary for matriculation.
 
I’d have to check again for them, but some schools don’t necessarily have a set GPA cut off but they choose a cut off based on that cycle’s applicant pool, so that may have an influence on the differences between the two years. (So there may have been more people applying this year with higher GPAs which causes the cut off to be at a higher GPA than before)
That's what I was thinking. I haven't had a chance to call them because I've been so busy at work, and now I feel like its too late for it to really matter but I'll stilll probably call just for the peace of mind.
 
IS, off the top of my head I don't remember my exact GPA but I know it was at least a 3.00
Hmm does your science GPA also meet the 3.0 cutoff? That’s the only other reason I can think of as to why they’d tell you early instead of in December when they release who passed phase 1. I’m not sure if that was a requirement last year, but that could also be why you were waitlisted then but rejected now if they just added it this cycle
 
Everyone will hear early/mid December if we made it past phase 1 of their admission process
So what does it take to make it past phase 1? As I understand it, phase 1 is purely academic, so they don't even look at the rest of your application? I have a cumulative GPA of 3.55 and a VMCAS science of 3.5, with no GRE scores. Is it likely I will get filtered out before they even look at the rest of my application do you think? I haven't applied here before, and my in state school does things differently!
 
So what does it take to make it past phase 1? As I understand it, phase 1 is purely academic, so they don't even look at the rest of your application? I have a cumulative GPA of 3.55 and a VMCAS science of 3.5, with no GRE scores. Is it likely I will get filtered out before they even look at the rest of my application do you think? I haven't applied here before, and my in state school does things differently!
I think it probably depends on how competitive everyone’s stats are this year. They don’t publish a set cutoff, just that they “rank”candidates based on GPA/GRE. I wouldn’t think a 3.5 would knock you out but who knows, maybe everyone applying has a 4.0 lol
 
I think it probably depends on how competitive everyone’s stats are this year. They don’t publish a set cutoff, just that they “rank”candidates based on GPA/GRE. I wouldn’t think a 3.5 would knock you out but who knows, maybe everyone applying has a 4.0 lol
Thanks for the input! Yeah it definitely seems to be getting even more competitive. Does anyone know how many people they try to cut out on phase 1?
 
So what does it take to make it past phase 1? As I understand it, phase 1 is purely academic, so they don't even look at the rest of your application? I have a cumulative GPA of 3.55 and a VMCAS science of 3.5, with no GRE scores. Is it likely I will get filtered out before they even look at the rest of my application do you think? I haven't applied here before, and my in state school does things differently!
It seems to vary year to year tbh. I passed phase 1 with lower GPAs than you, but decent GRE scores. I also believe they take into account academic rigor, but would honestly have to double check the website.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I already heard that I didn’t make it past phase 1 (I’m OOS). I got the notification on 11/5 🙁 Best of luck to everyone else!!!
How unfortunate! I haven’t received any news (OOS). Did they tell you why you didn’t make it past phase 1?

Good luck on your other apps!
 
How unfortunate! I haven’t received any news (OOS). Did they tell you why you didn’t make it past phase 1?

Good luck on your other apps!
Just that my GPA didn’t meet the minimum 🤷🏼‍♀️Based on VMCAS calculations which is annoying because I swear I calculated my own and it was good but 🤷🏼‍♀️

And thank you! Good luck to you as well with Illinois and other schools!
 
Just that my GPA didn’t meet the minimum 🤷🏼‍♀️Based on VMCAS calculations which is annoying because I swear I calculated my own and it was good but 🤷🏼‍♀️

And thank you! Good luck to you as well with Illinois and other schools!
You probably did this already but you can see how VMCAS calculated it by looking at the downloaded pdf version of your application...In the "Calculated GPA" section. See how it compares to what you came up with?

Still frustrating!
 
You probably did this already but you can see how VMCAS calculated it by looking at the downloaded pdf version of your application...In the "Calculated GPA" section. See how it compares to what you came up with?

Still frustrating!
I didn’t save a copy of it but I did look at it after submitting and I remember some being off - honestly they need to make it so you can see your calculate GPAs before submission
 
Just that my GPA didn’t meet the minimum 🤷🏼‍♀️Based on VMCAS calculations which is annoying because I swear I calculated my own and it was good but 🤷🏼‍♀️

And thank you! Good luck to you as well with Illinois and other schools!
This happened to me last year because I didn’t factor in that they would convert quarter units to semester units. As a result my gpa was ~.05 lower because of this. Did you attend quarter system programs?
 
This happened to me last year because I didn’t factor in that they would convert quarter units to semester units. As a result my gpa was ~.05 lower because of this. Did you attend quarter system programs?
I had a couple courses in the quarter system (I took some additional sciences online between the last cycle and current cycle) but when I calculated I’m pretty sure I converted them. I think there were a couple courses I took that were sciences but because of their codes or labeling or whatever you want to call it, I don’t think they got included by VMCAS in the general science prereq GPA - at this point it is what it is, but I think VMCAS needs to make a change so we can see our calculated GPAs from them before submission (of course if something is entered wrong, it could change but it would help in general for decisions on schools for people, ya know?)
 
Just got an email I didn't make it past phase 1 OOS. A little confused but I guess I can call them Monday to find out why
 
Last edited:
My OOS did not make it past 🙁 I wonder if they just had to establish a higher GPA cutoff (beyond the 3.0 min) since so many applicants this year
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What was your GPA? If you don't mind me asking
I don't mind! I think my VMCAS calculated GPA was around a 3.52 and my science I think was around a 3.2 or 3.3. I also submitted my GRE score (314 combined) to help with my GPA but it didn't do anything LMAO
 
I don't mind! I think my VMCAS calculated GPA was around a 3.52 and my science I think was around a 3.2 or 3.3. I also submitted my GRE score (314 combined) to help with my GPA but it didn't do anything LMAO
For all we know, they might only be looking at like 3.6 and higher or something! Which sucks.... like please we spent HOURS putting this app together for you at least put your eyes on it 😢
 
OOS; did not make it past phase 1. Frustrating as I'm a non-traditional student...graduated from MIT with a 3.2 back in 2013, retook and completed missing pre-reqs this past year at a local university with a 4.0. Oh well. Still waiting to hear back from 6 other schools.
 
For all we know, they might only be looking at like 3.6 and higher or something! Which sucks.... like please we spent HOURS putting this app together for you at least put your eyes on it 😢
Right?? I had a 3.55 cumulative and a 3.5 science and I guess they don't even want to look at it. Super frustrating especially considering the statistics of recent successful applicants on their site.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For all we know, they might only be looking at like 3.6 and higher or something! Which sucks.... like please we spent HOURS putting this app together for you at least put your eyes on it 😢
I know tell me about it. But I guess that's just how it goes for some of the schools 🙁
 
OOS 3rd cycle, first time Illinois applicant. made it through phase 1! For those of you that didn't make it, keep your chin up. I've been in your spot and it's never easy. Use this as motivation to prep for your other schools. The applicant pools have been extremely competitive in recent years and vets I've talked with are even astonished by the GPA needed. Keep the faith, you'll get there.