You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Illinois- CHECK YOUR MAIL!
Started by anc84
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Congratulations!!!
Those tricksters...did your status page change?
Those tricksters...did your status page change?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations!!!
Those tricksters...did your status page change?
LOL They did tell us they were being sent out tomorrow, Feb 21
Congrats anc...I am near Chicago so hopefully I find out soon....have been on pins and needles since last Monday's interview!
I got accepted too 🙂 out of state
I guess I'm SOL because I'm in IL and haven't gotten anything. And by SOL, I mean Rejecto. I knew I shouldn't have made that comment about vets being swindling crooks...
I am suprised I have my letter already too, especially since they had a snow day last week. Are you out-of-staters accepting? I look forward to meeting you in August...congrats!
I guess I'm SOL because I'm in IL and haven't gotten anything. And by SOL, I mean Rejecto. I knew I shouldn't have made that comment about vets being swindling crooks...
Drats, do you suppose that is why we haven't received letters yet? Now I'm going to start stalking the mailman again.
Drats, do you suppose that is why we haven't received letters yet? Now I'm going to start stalking the mailman again.
*gulp*
hopefully not. maybe the ones who already got theirs are just super-exceptional applicants? I'm in IL too, so now I'm REALLY nervous since other Illinoisans (eh?) have gotten theirs. 🙁 ...but, some cities have crappy post offices...and no one has received a rejection letter yet...so try not to freak out too much until the actual letter comes in the mail, because regardless of what your status is, they'll send you a letter.
"try not to freak out"...yeah right! 😱
😀 I thought that I had done really bad in the interview as well. After I had left all I could do was think about all the things I could have said but I guess it wasn't that bad after all because I am in, yeah!!

Don't freak out! I think they send all of the letters together regardless, so I'm guessing yours just got delayed in a post office somewhere.
I'm surprised at the speed as well...we got TWO snow days last week. They cancelled the first one really late though and everyone already made it to work that was going to, so maybe they decided to stay and use the day off to sort out all our applications and interviews...
I'm surprised at the speed as well...we got TWO snow days last week. They cancelled the first one really late though and everyone already made it to work that was going to, so maybe they decided to stay and use the day off to sort out all our applications and interviews...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hrm...nothing today. you'd think being in Illinois I'd have gotten it today, but then again being in a town of 50,000 with 2 zip codes, 2 undersized post offices, and probably mountains of mail daily....it's probably sitting in a bin somewhere waiting for me. 
Hope everyone else got some good news today!😍

Hope everyone else got some good news today!😍
I'm surprised at the speed as well...we got TWO snow days last week.
and monday was a federal holiday...so no mail!
...in retrospect, you DID get it extremely fast! Way to go! 😉
Congratulations to all of you who have heard from the UIUC CVM and were accepted! I have been keeping track of how things have been going for you all as I hope to be in your place 😀 this time next year! And, for those of you that haven't heard anything, yet: good luck - and, I live only thirteen miles from campus and it has take up to five days to get mail from there - from past experiences that I have had.
I called Illinois today---I know I shouldn't have-----they said that a batch of letters were sent out last Thursday and yesterday.
I called Illinois today---I know I shouldn't have-----they said that a batch of letters were sent out last Thursday and yesterday.
They promised that all decisions would be sent by the 21st, so I'm assuming that Thursday's batch was all acceptances, and yesterday's batch was a handful of acceptances that they had to think about a little longer, along with all of the rejections. They also probably sent out the wait list, which moves a lot out-of-state, so don't get discouraged yet.
actually, during the information session the dean said that the out-of-state waitlist doesn't move at all-- they accept about four times as many out-of-staters than they expect to enroll, so unless tons and tons of people turn down their offers they don't take any off the list...
here's to hoping we won't have to worry about waitlists!!! 😳
here's to hoping we won't have to worry about waitlists!!! 😳
I'm assuming that Thursday's batch was all acceptances, and yesterday's batch was a handful of acceptances that they had to think about a little longer, along with all of the rejections
LOLOLOLOL, no comment.
actually, during the information session the dean said that the out-of-state waitlist doesn't move at all-- they accept about four times as many out-of-staters than they expect to enroll, so unless tons and tons of people turn down their offers they don't take any off the list...
here's to hoping we won't have to worry about waitlists!!! 😳
hey, maybe they sent most of the out-of-staters out first figuring they'd take longer to get to?

at least no rejections today, right guys? ^_^
actually, during the information session the dean said that the out-of-state waitlist doesn't move at all-- they accept about four times as many out-of-staters than they expect to enroll, so unless tons and tons of people turn down their offers they don't take any off the list...
here's to hoping we won't have to worry about waitlists!!! 😳
Wouldn't it be funny if most of the out of staters decided to accept their offer of admission?
Wouldn't it be funny if most of the out of staters decided to accept their offer of admission?
The girl I sat next to at the orientation session was SO incredibly worried about this... she was scared to death that she'd be accepted only to be rejected later on because too many out-of-staters would accept their offers. I tried to reason with her that they probably do this every year, and it turns out fine, but I don't think it helped much... 😱
Anyone here list both a permanent and current address on their VMCAS application? If so, which address did your letter get sent to? Still no word over here in NC... 🙁
I'm getting worried since the only letters people seem to have received thus far are acceptances... they are saving the rejection letter for me!!
Wouldn't it be funny if most of the out of staters decided to accept their offer of admission?
*gulp* less room for us wee lil' in-staters then? 😱 *lol*
i was wondering the same...traditionally only 20-25 non-resident applicants accept their offer, so they assume that it's the same every year. But you know what they say happens when we ASSume...!

It could be a very, very large entering class.
actually, during the information session the dean said that the out-of-state waitlist doesn't move at all-- they accept about four times as many out-of-staters than they expect to enroll, so unless tons and tons of people turn down their offers they don't take any off the list...
here's to hoping we won't have to worry about waitlists!!! 😳
Ah, interesting...I stand corrected. That's kind of a weird thing for them to do though - you know they're gonna have one freak year where everyone accepts the offer...
LOLOLOLOL, no comment.
Haha, is that an unreasonable guess?
How long your letter takes does not determine whether you got in or not. I thought they made all the decisions last week, so I think that the mail is what's taking a long time. I know people here on campus that got waitlisted and got their letters on Tuesday like me.
I was wondering what would happen if too many out of state people accepted offers as well. You'd think they would just offer as many spots as they had and then keep inviting people on the wait list. There are only room for so many students, so it's not like they can just take them all.
I was wondering what would happen if too many out of state people accepted offers as well. You'd think they would just offer as many spots as they had and then keep inviting people on the wait list. There are only room for so many students, so it's not like they can just take them all.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wouldn't it be funny if most of the out of staters decided to accept their offer of admission?
I was at the info session two years ago with a friend of mine who interviewed and some asked that question... they said they would let them all come, and would just be really really squished in the classrooms!
I was at the info session two years ago with a friend of mine who interviewed and some asked that question... they said they would let them all come, and would just be really really squished in the classrooms!
After thinking about it more, I realized that it's a smart move. If you're accepted at Illinois and waitlisted at another school, of course you're going to go to Illinois. By accepting a bunch of students that would have been on the wait list, they have a better chance of getting the best students.
I take back my comment about Tuesday's batch being rejections. I thought about it more (again) and they're accepting 85-90 in-state students and 80-100 out-of-state students (if it's true that they accept 4x as many out-of-staters as they expect to enroll). That's 165-190 people accepted. They only interview 240 people, which makes it a 70-80% acceptance rate if you got an interview. So if you interviewed and you didn't get good news yet, don't worry - it's on the way 😀
What on Earth? I don't understand this accepted but not accepted thing. Don't tell me other schools do this too?!?
No, everyone who is accepted is accepted. They just accept 4 times as many out-of-state applicants as they want, because statistically only 1/4 of them accept their offer (the other 3/4 go to other schools, like their own state school for example)
Still waiting for my letter over here...
Side note, I'm of course checking my Illinois online application status once a day JUST IN CASE something magical appears to tell me my current status. Anyways, did the UIN category always appear under our Optional Personal Information section? What is UIN?
Side note, I'm of course checking my Illinois online application status once a day JUST IN CASE something magical appears to tell me my current status. Anyways, did the UIN category always appear under our Optional Personal Information section? What is UIN?
Still waiting for my letter over here...![]()
Side note, I'm of course checking my Illinois online application status once a day JUST IN CASE something magical appears to tell me my current status. Anyways, did the UIN category always appear under our Optional Personal Information section? What is UIN?
My status hasn't changed. And I remember that UIN category always being there and always being blank, but I may be wrong.
Good luck alonepear. You know, if you really want to go to Illinois, I'll trade you for a seat at Mississippi 🙂
Does the acceptance letter come in a big envelope or a small evelope? My roomate is interviewing at Purdue today and won't come back till sunday and she got a envelope from Illinois today....
Alternate! I'm suprised they didn't reject me outright, since I totally tanked the interview! That's OK, didn't think it was the right place for me anyway! Congrats to all those who got in!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Letter of acceptance! I can't believe it
Last year, a few weeks later in the year, I was sitting and staring at three rejection letters strewn across my floor, hearing the voice of the NCSU adcom that my chances were slim of ever getting into vet school with a cumulative GPA of less than 3.3.
This year, I have two acceptance letters hanging on my fridge, both out of state. And I'm in total shock, and am more appreciative than I've ever been in my life. And all it took was a years time. (keep hope, and keep trying!)
I'm so happy! 😀
And I have no idea which school to choose at this point!
Last year, a few weeks later in the year, I was sitting and staring at three rejection letters strewn across my floor, hearing the voice of the NCSU adcom that my chances were slim of ever getting into vet school with a cumulative GPA of less than 3.3.
This year, I have two acceptance letters hanging on my fridge, both out of state. And I'm in total shock, and am more appreciative than I've ever been in my life. And all it took was a years time. (keep hope, and keep trying!)
I'm so happy! 😀
And I have no idea which school to choose at this point!
Here's a question for you: I lived in Chicago at the time I applied to vet schools, therefore was instate for illinois. i grew up in mass, got an interview at tufts. Does anyone else think that U of I's facilities are really outdated and unaccomodating? i mean, i went to a large state school for undergrad and i'm not spoiled, but how do you deal with the nagging feeling that you're going to get a subpar education at your state school? do you decline and just apply to different schools next year? or is this a sign that my drive isn't strong enough to get past the 115 person classes and less opps in wildlife/research?
FYI UIN is short for university identification number. it's blank unless you previously worked for or were a student at one of the U of I campuses.
Actually, it's blank on mine as well and I currently go to U of I.
Here's a question for you: I lived in Chicago at the time I applied to vet schools, therefore was instate for illinois. i grew up in mass, got an interview at tufts. Does anyone else think that U of I's facilities are really outdated and unaccomodating? i mean, i went to a large state school for undergrad and i'm not spoiled, but how do you deal with the nagging feeling that you're going to get a subpar education at your state school? do you decline and just apply to different schools next year? or is this a sign that my drive isn't strong enough to get past the 115 person classes and less opps in wildlife/research?
I'd have to agree with you about U of I. If you get into Tufts (which I'm guessing you liked), go there.
Here's a question for you: I lived in Chicago at the time I applied to vet schools, therefore was instate for illinois. i grew up in mass, got an interview at tufts. Does anyone else think that U of I's facilities are really outdated and unaccomodating? i mean, i went to a large state school for undergrad and i'm not spoiled, but how do you deal with the nagging feeling that you're going to get a subpar education at your state school? do you decline and just apply to different schools next year? or is this a sign that my drive isn't strong enough to get past the 115 person classes and less opps in wildlife/research?
I was actually going to ask the same kind of question. I was wondering how everyone felt about UIUC's facilities. I felt like everything was a bit older than I was expecting. I didn't interview at many schools so I was wondering how others thought the facilities compared to some of the other universities. All the students seemed really happy at school there but the buildings did feel a little dungeon-esque.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 599
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 892