Illinois 2025-2026 (c/o 2030 hopefuls)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not gonna lie I am not sure about that interview. I came on early and so we started early but one of the three people interviewing me came on late so that was interesting. My interviewers were not unfriendly per se, but definitely did not really show much interest or emotion. I am a very bubbly and smiley person especially during interviews and that was just not being mirrored back to me unfortunately. In fact, one of my interviewers did not even have their camera on. I gave quite detailed answers and asked them a good question at the end, but it ended up being only about 15-20 minutes. Overall, not sure if it went well even though I usually excel in interviews because my personality gets to shine. I am probably just overthinking everything because it was so different than my previous interview experiences. oh well.
 
Not gonna lie I am not sure about that interview. I came on early and so we started early and one of the three people interviewing me came on late. My interviewers were not unfriendly but definitely did not show any interest or emotion. I am a very bubbly and smiley person especially during interviews and that was just not being mirrored back to me unfortunately. In fact, one of my interviewers did not have their camera on. I gave quite detailed answers and asked them a good question at the end, but it ended up being about 15-20 minutes. Overall, not sure if it went well even though I usually excel in interviews because my personality gets to shine. I am probably just overthinking everything because it was so different than previous interview experiences.
We are specifically trained to avoid showing emotion or reactions during the scored portion, it's not a reflection on you or how you did! It helps maintain the objectivity and keep things streamlined. We also are supposed to cap at 20-ish min so we have time to wrap up and discuss our scoring before the next interview starts.

sorry someone was late/didn't use their camera though...
 
My interview was about 28 minutes long, but that's including my questions. to them Now I feel bad that I took up so much of their time!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
same i totally bombed one question so not feeling good about it... rip
yeahhh there was one in particular that I was not prepared to answer and unfortunately had to be honest about that lol. Hoping for the best :/ I tried to save it by at least giving some sort of answer instead of saying idk and moving on which hopefully counts for something 😆
 
Last edited:
I was kind of flustered during my interview because of car troubles. Is it worth emailing admissions about that? I think my answers were pretty informed and insightful for the most part
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I went to one of the info sessions and she said that she's hoping within the next couple weeks. They had to reschedule some interviews due to power outages with the winter storm so it might take slightly longer than normal!
 
I got accepted as an OOS alternate but it says I have to accept my status as an alternate. If I accept my status as an alternate will this make it so I automatically accept if they offer me a spot? Or will I still be given a choice
 
I got accepted as an OOS alternate but it says I have to accept my status as an alternate. If I accept my status as an alternate will this make it so I automatically accept if they offer me a spot? Or will I still be given a choice
Definitely email to clarify because this is a new thing to me, but either way you're not locked into a seat as if you're signing an unbreakable contract. They may just want you to accept a waitlist spot vs. decline it at this stage.

Illinois still requires a deposit from accepted students, so it's not like you'd be thrown into the class without cutting them a check and formally accepting that offer as well.
 
Definitely email to clarify because this is a new thing to me, but either way you're not locked into a seat as if you're signing an unbreakable contract. They may just want you to accept a waitlist spot vs. decline it at this stage.

Illinois still requires a deposit from accepted students, so it's not like you'd be thrown into the class without cutting them a check and formally accepting that offer as well.
Thank you, i realized right after i posted that message that I was overthinking it😂 also just saw that you don’t even get offered acceptance till after 4/15 which just seems so backwards to me because I’ve been accepted into other places but there’s no way I’m rejecting those for a chance of going to this one, even if I would prefer it.

Good luck to all the acceptances! Congratulations
 
Thank you, i realized right after i posted that message that I was overthinking it😂 also just saw that you don’t even get offered acceptance till after 4/15 which just seems so backwards to me because I’ve been accepted into other places but there’s no way I’m rejecting those for a chance of going to this one, even if I would prefer it.
But you wouldn't reject an acceptance at this stage just to risk it on a waitlist - if UIUC were your top choice, you'd accept somewhere to secure yourself a seat and wait and see what happens with UofI. If you got into UofI after April 15th, you'd withdraw from wherever you initially accepted. This is what happens every year and why one single spot movement in a waitlist at one school can trigger a wave of movement at multiple other schools. It's kinda expected that most waitlist movement doesn't start until after April 15th actually.

The only reason to reject a waitlist spot is if you have an acceptance that you are already very content with, or you had a change of heart about wanting to attend that school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
But you wouldn't reject an acceptance at this stage just to risk it on a waitlist - if UIUC were your top choice, you'd accept somewhere to secure yourself a seat and wait and see what happens with UofI. If you got into UofI after April 15th, you'd withdraw from wherever you initially accepted. This is what happens every year and why one single spot movement in a waitlist at one school can trigger a wave of movement at multiple other schools. It's kinda expected that most waitlist movement doesn't start until after April 15th actually.

The only reason to reject a waitlist spot is if you have an acceptance that you are already very content with, or you had a change of heart about wanting to attend that school.
Oh that makes sense. I was thinking most schools kind of had a finalized roster by that point.
 
  • Like
Reactions: pp9
OOS acceptance
Illinois Gun Control GIF by GIPHY News
 
Last edited:
Oh that makes sense. I was thinking most schools kind of had a finalized roster by that point.
Tecccchnically yes? Kinda? You have to commit by April 15 but waitlist movement still happens until classes start, and even after classes start in some rare situations.

Long story short, accept whatever offer you are happiest about now, and if you still want to attend UIUC over the school(s) that have accepted you, hang on to that waitlist spot and see what happens.
 
I got accepted as an OOS alternate but it says I have to accept my status as an alternate. If I accept my status as an alternate will this make it so I automatically accept if they offer me a spot? Or will I still be given a choice
It’s just accepting your place on the waitlist vs if you got in elsewhere and don’t want to be on the waitlist, then they’d prefer to know so that they can speed up the process of calling people from the alternates list. Even if you accept a spot, you’re not bound to it and required to go there. You can back out still, you’d just lose your deposit if you’ve paid it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have experience/know anything about establishing residency in Illinois? Cost is a huge factor for me so I want to figure this out lol but the info I can find online is minimal
 
Does anyone have experience/know anything about establishing residency in Illinois? Cost is a huge factor for me so I want to figure this out lol but the info I can find online is minimal

Nearly impossible without a spouse. You need to make the cost of in state tuition (~27-33k?) as income outside of the campus. In the entire 5 years I was a student, only 1 person in my original class was able to do this by owning a horse boarding stable.
 
Does anyone have experience/know anything about establishing residency in Illinois? Cost is a huge factor for me so I want to figure this out lol but the info I can find online is minimal
It’s not easy to change your residency. You have to be able to have an income that is equivalent to the difference between in state and oos tuition. If you have a spouse that is working in the state, you likely will be able to but other than that, it’s hard to make enough to qualify. Someone a few years back owned a horse boarding facility and she was able to change to in state residency because she made enough from that.