Illinois Schools thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
asama527, Your group must have made the cutoff. I hope it turns out well for you. Tomorrow is the UWSOM adcom's meeting. I can hardly wait, although I'm bracing myself for being put on the "competitive" list or worse, being outright rejected.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by chameleonknight
gary5,

How long after you were complete did it take Loyola to invite you? Also, was it phone, email, snailmail, or some combination thereof?

Congrats on those interviews btw; looks like you've got some good options.

I was contacted very quickly after my application was complete (<1 week?). This was probably unique due to my volunteering at the hospital and email interaction with the Dean. I'm thinking that typical admissions response times are in the range of 4-8 weeks. I recieved a call, then snailmail.

Thanks for the congrats.

Thanks, gary.

I'm beginning to think the call/snail mail combo is the most frequent. ( We could call it the #1)

Hmm, now I'm trying to remember when I was complete.... :p About 4 weeks I think.

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by LaurieB
asama527, Your group must have made the cutoff. I hope it turns out well for you. Tomorrow is the UWSOM adcom's meeting. I can hardly wait, although I'm bracing myself for being put on the "competitive" list or worse, being outright rejected.

I knoooooooow. I can't sleep at night these days. I'll feel so much better when I get some sort of response. I hope I at least make the 'competitive' list. If I don't get an email within the next two days, I'm going to be bracing myself for "the envelope."

Quote: If you're accepted, you'll get your letter around the 20th-25th of the month.

I interviewed on 12/03. Can you think of a better X-Mas present???????

Hey, good luck on UIC.

When I interviewed, the ... moderator-type person said that they send out about 500 acceptances each year. They interview around 900-1000 people, he said, so the odds are pretty good if you've made it to the interview stage.

UI Urbana-Champaign keeps sending me stuff about their md/phd program, which is odd since:

1) I'm not applying there.

2) I have no research experience, thus I'm not applying MD/PhD

So, here's one less applicant you guys will have to worry about :p

Originally posted by chameleonknight
UI Urbana-Champaign keeps sending me stuff about their md/phd program, which is odd since:

1) I'm not applying there.

2) I have no research experience, thus I'm not applying MD/PhD

So, here's one less applicant you guys will have to worry about :p

It means they're not getting people for MD/PhD.

Originally posted by gary5
It means they're not getting people for MD/PhD.

Not necessarily, I was given MdPhD info from Wash U without requesting it, and Wash U certainly isn't lacking in qualified candidates. The reason the schools may advertise those programs so heavily is because they're looking for the best students available, both to accept and to create a waitlist with the most highly qualified people.

Originally posted by ForceField
Not necessarily, I was given MdPhD info from Wash U without requesting it, and Wash U certainly isn't lacking in qualified candidates. The reason the schools may advertise those programs so heavily is because they're looking for the best students available, both to accept and to create a waitlist with the most highly qualified people.

OK, it means they want more people to apply for MD/PhD. It's nearly the same. Either way, they're marketing because they need to.

Ok,

I think its just an advertising thing too. I neglected to mention that there was a short letter that began "Congratulations on your excellent performance on the August 2003 MCAT!" Sounds like a computer generated thing that they may do after every testing. *shrug*

I was just amused by it all...that's it. :D

Does anyone know how quickly UIC updates the status page after they've made decisions?

Mine said "applicant response pending" when I was accepted.

I just got my post-secondary rejection from U of C. I would have liked to interview there, although I don't think I'd go there due to the old style of teaching: 8 hours of lecture per day. I *do* want to interview at Northwestern, though.

Hi,

Two roommates living in Chicago and looking for a third med student roommate. We have easy access to Rush, UIC, and Northwestern via public trans. Loyola is accessible by car.

I've been accepted to Rush so far.

I'm male, my roommate is female, and you can be either.

Here's the ad we run in the Reader:
COED ROOMMATES seek a third grad/professional roommate. New beautiful 3Br 2Ba condo with fireplace, central air, laundry in unit, deck. Exceptionally furnished except bedroom. Convenient location 1 block from blue line near California and Fullerton. $550 plus utils.

PM me if you're interested...

Thanks! :p :clap: :p