akitavet

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2007
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Did anyone else apply for this, and if so, did you hear anything about it yet? I know its only been 2 weeks, but I dont know when to expect to hear anything.

Tiger1

UIUC-VMSP (DVM/PhD) Y2
10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2007
Illinois
Status
Veterinary Student
Hi akitavet,

I got my response last Thursday, but I live in IL. If you live far, maybe the mail has not made it to you yet? I would give it until tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. Or, you can email Nikki... Good Luck!

- Tiger1

Tiger1

UIUC-VMSP (DVM/PhD) Y2
10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2007
Illinois
Status
Veterinary Student
Hi AkitaVet,

I just checked the "Acceptance" thread and discovered that you are IS. I would email Nikki tomorrow to find out when they sent out the notices. Are you going to attend IL? I did not see your name in the "Final Decision" thread. Hope we will be classmates!

- Tiger1

Tiger1

UIUC-VMSP (DVM/PhD) Y2
10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2007
Illinois
Status
Veterinary Student
AkitaVet,

Sorry for so many responses...but what do you mean it only has been 2 weeks... The application for VMSP was due on April 15th?

- Tiger1

OP
A

akitavet

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2007
Status
Pre-Veterinary
okay well today makes 3 weeks. I should probably call down there today. I just never heard anything about when we might hear. It makes a huge difference re: financial aid, so I would like to know. Thanks Tiger1 and yes I will be attending UofI. I just added myself to the final decision post yesterday. I did not get my application in until the 15th on the nose and that was with fedex overnight (thank you very much graduate advisor who did not respond to my repeated contact about LOR yet had one written on her pc already and had sent for me before).

OP
A

akitavet

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2007
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Okay so I called Nikki's line and apparently the whole research staff is out this week. Whoever was answering their phones transferred me to veterinary clinical medicine and she told me that off hand she knew that everyone was "passed" but there was a problem with funding. So she transferred me to Dr. Matt Stewart's office who was at the LA clinic and I left him a message. ARGH! A whole lot of hoops with no results at the end.

Tiger1 did you apply to clinical medicine or something different?

Tiger1

UIUC-VMSP (DVM/PhD) Y2
10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2007
Illinois
Status
Veterinary Student
Hi Akitavet,

Sorry to hear that you still have not been able to get a response. I know how hard the waiting is. All the anticipation of an exciting career path and the alleviation of the debt. Before I got my letter, I thought about pros/cons.

VMSP- I thought about how lucky I would feel to be given the golden opportunity to pursue my dream of becoming a translational scientist. But also, I would be accepting the obligations of the program in terms of research and teaching duties and the expectation to do well. I also thought about the 7-year commitment and the personal sacrifice of putting a personal relationship on hold. Throughout the application process, the wait and the final response, I reflect upon my deep yearning to be trained in both disciplines knowing that the VMSP is the best fit for me.

DVM only- I rejoice in knowing that I would attend UIUC in the fall, knowing that I would get my DVM in four years with a lot of debt, but also the freedom to pursue the clinical and business side of a DVM degree.

So, there are good/bad to both responses. I applied to the Veterinary Biosciences department because my research experience has been in basic science. Best of luck Akitavet! See you during Orientations and on the 1st day of class, August 25th.

- Tiger1

OP
A

akitavet

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2007
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Okay so I heard back from the guy and basically Im in but for some reason my letter is lost in the mail or something. I am going to contact Dr. Hahn Monday when that office is back to have them resend a letter or something.

Initially, I did NOT want to do VMSP and really the only reason I considered it was because my husband strongly wanted me to consider it for financial reasons. I had begun a PhD program in Chemical Engineering in 2003 and left after 3 years with a masters. I felt like I had been down that road before and was not interested in doing all that again. But I went ahead and took a look at what research was going on and really liked what I saw. I am hoping to do repro work in the future and illinois has the interdisciplinary reproductive biology program which would be really nice. I figure if I want to, I can always practice veterinary medicine as I would have with a PhD and it would be like paying off student loans in whatever additional time it takes to do a PhD. Not a bad prospect. And besides, I feel SO much more prepared now for the whole process than I did the first time around. I suffered from a bad advisor the first time and it really was a toxic situation. I know how to avoid that much better now!

Tiger1

UIUC-VMSP (DVM/PhD) Y2
10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2007
Illinois
Status
Veterinary Student
Congrats Akitavet!

I guess you still have to wait for the official letter and think about the offer. I can not believe the letter got lost in the mail! You should be expecting a priority mail (big envelope) that you have to sign for. It is NOT a regular snail mail letter. You should check with the UPS station in your district. The offer letter is only one-page, but it contains all the information you need to get started.

Looking forward to having a VMSP classmate to share the journey with...:)

Best,
Tiger1