Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CookieBear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I guess I'm the first.

Random check of my Illinois status site shows "interview not offered".

With them taking about 30 non-residents (I believe significantly more than many other schools), I'm not feeling too good right now.

:(

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry :(
Mine still says "pending application review"
Thanks for the update.

With them taking about 30 non-residents (I believe significantly more than many other schools), I'm not feeling too good right now.

Did your status page say "pending application review" at some point for the interview status? At first, my interview status was listed as "interview not offered" but then it changed to "pending application review" which it still is (just checked).

Could it be possible yours was accidently never changed over? Grasping at straws I know, but no reason to give up if it is a technical problem.

Lisa

Members don't see this ad :)
Did your status page say "pending application review" at some point for the interview status? At first, my interview status was listed as "interview not offered" but then it changed to "pending application review" which it still is (just checked).

Could it be possible yours was accidently never changed over? Grasping at straws I know, but no reason to give up if it is a technical problem.

Lisa

No... I don't think it's a mistake. It did say, "pending application review" until I looked last night. I don't think I've looked every day, but I did look within the past few days, and it had said pending. So now that it changed, I'd doubt it's an error. :(

Sorry to hear that cookiebear. Thanks for the posting however.

I'll keep everyone posted on any developmets with my application, good or bad, too.

I'm so sorry Cookiemommy!!!! COLORADO baby! Since I dont think NJ is subsidizing vet school kids any more, n need to go to Ill! ;)

Sorry Cookiebear :(

You may not be the first one, just the first to admit it. Don't worry, some of us are going to join you very soon, I'm sure of it. This is my first year appliying and my general GRE score stinks, so I'm not trying to get my hopes up toomuch.

_Alana

Cookie,

You're not alone. I had the same thing last week although, I was petitioning to delete my undergrad record. I'm in the same boat.

I noticed from your reply on another thread that you have applied to a lot of other schools. Any news from them? Don't get too discouraged as Kansas is known for taking a lot out-of-staters...about 50%. Plus, you never know what one school thinks may be entirely different from another school. At least it has seemed that way from others on this site and others I have talked to in person. Keep your chin up!!;)

Someone will see your worth. This is obviously something you really want and have worked for and showed persistence in-some school will be wise enough to see this-it is Illinois' loss IMO

I'm so sorry Cookiemommy!!!! COLORADO baby! Since I dont think NJ is subsidizing vet school kids any more, n need to go to Ill! ;)

;) I miss ya!

If I make CO, you can take me down-hill mountain biking :D
(well... maybe...)

I noticed from your reply on another thread that you have applied to a lot of other schools. Any news from them? Don't get too discouraged as Kansas is known for taking a lot out-of-staters...about 50%. Plus, you never know what one school thinks may be entirely different from another school. At least it has seemed that way from others on this site and others I have talked to in person. Keep your chin up!!;)

Thank you, kindly. I'm trying not to let it keep me down. I feel a bit better than I did last evening, at least.

I've heard the same about Kansas. I hope I make the cut!

And Colorado would be sweet.

Thank you, too, everyone else! I appreciate the good thoughts. I did apply to pretty much everyone I could this time. To have the first news from anywhere be negative is disappointing. But, hopefully we'll ALL get some good news this year, from somewhere!

Hey, just to give a bit more information...

I emailed the admissions office about an incorrect grade on the online status form. She said: "We have made the cut for Phase I (academics) and you made it past Phase I. So your gpa is not a concern at this point." So at this point if your status page doesn't say "interview not offered", it means that you weren't denied because of your academics.

Still, there's a long way to go past academics...:(

Thanks for the post cyrille. So they made the academic cut, I wonder if that includes GRE scores? Any idea on that?

Per UIUC's admissions brochure (on their website):

"The initial applicant assessment ranks individuals numerically according to a composite score derived from their cumulative and science grade point averages, their graduate record examination score, and an evaluation of the rigor of their academic experience.

The second stage of the assessment process is a non-academic evaluation of the VMCAS Application and the College of Veterinary Medicine Supplemental Application by the Admissions Advisory Committee. The non-academic score is determined using the following factors: VMCAS Personal Statement, CVM Supplemental Personal Statement, veterinary related experience, animal related experience, other career experience (research, lab animal work, business experience, agribusiness experience, etc.), community service/citizenship, leadership, initiative/enterprising activities, any special recognitions (academic, personal or professional), and letters of reference.

At this junction a preliminary order of merit list is developed and a determination is made as to which applicants will be offered the opportunity for a personal interview. Once interviews are completed, the final, official, order of merit lists designate resident and non-resident applicants who will be offered admission."

Per UIUC's admissions brochure (on their website):

"The initial applicant assessment ranks individuals numerically according to a composite score derived from their cumulative and science grade point averages, their graduate record examination score, and an evaluation of the rigor of their academic experience.

The second stage of the assessment process is a non-academic evaluation of the VMCAS Application and the College of Veterinary Medicine Supplemental Application by the Admissions Advisory Committee. The non-academic score is determined using the following factors: VMCAS Personal Statement, CVM Supplemental Personal Statement, veterinary related experience, animal related experience, other career experience (research, lab animal work, business experience, agribusiness experience, etc.), community service/citizenship, leadership, initiative/enterprising activities, any special recognitions (academic, personal or professional), and letters of reference.

At this junction a preliminary order of merit list is developed and a determination is made as to which applicants will be offered the opportunity for a personal interview. Once interviews are completed, the final, official, order of merit lists designate resident and non-resident applicants who will be offered admission."

Haha, like they say, a couple of hours in the library saves a couple of months in the lab.

Thanks

I was told by Illinois that the first cut was cumulative and science GPA.

She didn't mention GRE, though I didn't ask.

The cut was purely numerical. They had over 200 more non-resident applicants this year than in prior years. I think she said they had over 700 total.

I do not know the GPA cut-off number. My GPA is just shy of 3.4

Re-reading their minimums, and their averages from last year, I'd be lower than the average. But, you know, sometimes you try, just so you KNOW you tried.

I wish I'd hear from Missouri like some others here. I thought I had a better shot there. With each day that passes, I worry more. But, alas, nothing to do but wait.