I'm 42 years old, I'd like a reality check on my chances of medical school admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I retook because it wasn't a 528. And I was going to take it until it was. As for faking empathy, I can be a regular Tom Hanks. People in this thread want me to change fundamentally, but that's never going to happen. I can pretend to care though, make them feel like I'm a grandpa that they never had, if that's what it takes.
There’s the rub. So could I but it was miserable and would not have gotten better for ANYONE. Thank goodness for pathology. And you, of feigned empathy, would choose super-dire, direct patient care specialty of ID?!?
Now, if you take delight in deluding patients (i hated it), that, to me, seems to smack of sociopathy.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I don’t think you fully understand the concept of st dev and the means. Your 521 is more than two standard dev away from the mean of 500. And 528 is not one standard dev away from 521. 528 is 3 standard deviation away from 500. That is, standard deviation is only meaningful from the perspective of the means…. I still think you are trolling us given that you can’t get this concept.
Sure, it's in the same standard deviation, as would be the GPA of a school's Salutatorian and Valedictorian. But usually what distinguishes the two is the percentile rank of the individuals. Your analysis only makes sense if you are grouping masses of applicants distinguished by stdevs only. That's not how I categorize myself. Maybe admissions does, but given an identical applicant, those seven points may be what gives me favor. Keep in mind that I now only have time to solidify my application, so while it may not make sense for a typical 21 year old student to take it again for a few points and still remain in the same distributive block, I am twice their age with a poor application as is.

There’s the rub. So could I but it was miserable and would not have gotten better for ANYONE. Thank goodness for pathology. And you, of feigned empathy, would choose super-dire, direct patient care specialty of ID?!?
Now, if you take delight in deluding patients (i hated it), that, to me, seems to smack of sociopathy.
Smack of whatever it does, I see PT contact as a necessary evil, but not something to avoid. I never said I wanted to avoid it, but that it wouldn't be my favorite part nor my most skilled area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, it's in the same standard deviation, as would be the GPA of a school's Salutatorian and Valedictorian. But usually what distinguishes the two is the percentile rank of the individuals. Your analysis only makes sense if you are grouping masses of applicants distinguished by stdevs only. That's not how I categorize myself. Maybe admissions does, but given an identical applicant, those seven points may be what gives me favor. Keep in mind that I now only have time to solidify my application, so while it may not make sense for a typical 21 year old student to take it again for a few points and still remain in the same distributive block, I am twice their age with a poor application as is.
What I am saying to you, which doesn’t seem to get across, is that no one will give you any extra point because you have a 528 instead of a 521. I scored in the 100% too in my first try.

Reactions: 2 users
With the physician shortage in America and the high cost of residency training, etc, educating someone who cannot practice until they are ~50 years old doesn’t seem like the best use of resources.

Reactions: 1 users
What I am saying to you, which doesn’t seem to get across, is that no one will give you any extra point because you have a 528 instead of a 521. I scored in the 100% too in my first try.
That's not what you said. You're arguing the significance of the stdevs of the score distribution curve, not the weight which they're given in admissions decisions. And congratulations on your score, it is by no means a cakewalk.

With the physician shortage in America and the high cost of residency training, etc, educating someone who cannot practice until they are ~50 years old doesn’t seem like the best use of resources.
You start your claim with "physician shortage", and then say that it's a bad idea to allocate resources to a potential physician, who could, given fair genetics and health practice for an additional 30 to 35 years? In other words, there's a seat at the table for everyone who enters, it's just that not everyone can enter the room.

Smack of whatever it does, I see PT contact as a necessary evil, but not something to avoid. I never said I wanted to avoid it, but that it wouldn't be my favorite part nor my most skilled area.
You wanna live your life with a “necessary evil”?

No, I'm serious about this career path. Not everyone going into it is a saint with stigmata.

It's not about being a saint. It's about having compassion and empathy even to the people you consider "idiot patients." It's being a decent human without demeaning them.
Logically and scientifically a lot of things makes sense to us but for the regular person who didn't study science, managing their health isn't that simple. Then when you add in the different factors that affect patients and their health- socioeconomic status, education, family history, etc, it's even more complex.

I had a PCP who went to med school in her 40s but she was previously a nurse and truly loved what she did and helping patients. She was kind and the only reason I stopped seeing her was because I moved away.

If you're looking at medicine as a puzzle to solve, I say just do research. We may have a physician shortage but training and hiring physicians who aren't going to be compassionate and treat all patients decently, does not help.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
If the OP were serious about applying to medical school, he would have gotten some clinical experience. No school would touch an applicant without it, especially a 42-year old.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
0/10

Trolls these days, jeeze. In my day, you had to WORK to be a troll.

Now, any idiot can troll.

Streampaw, footfetish, Walt, orangepants....now THOSE were trolls!!

Reactions: 5 users
0/10

Trolls these days, jeeze. In my day, you had to WORK to be a troll.

Now, any idiot can troll.

Streampaw, footfetish, Walt, orangepants....now THOSE were trolls!!
What on Earth are you talking about?

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
If the OP were serious about applying to medical school, he would have gotten some clinical experience. No school would touch an applicant without it, especially a 42-year old.
See my earlier reply here: "Medicine offers a front row seat to the best and most diverse puzzles that mother nature has to offer. I can't think of something more stimulating that I haven't tried yet. Sudoku only goes so far, know what I mean? As for the volunteering and clinical experience, there has been nary enough time. I did some stroke research with a neurosurgeon back in my chemistry undergraduate days, but that's it. Now however, I have access to enough independence and educational freedom that I could make shadowing and clinical volunteering my full time job. I could uppercut admissions with thousands of hours in a matter of months, that's not an issue."

We were all wrong. You have all the makings of a kind, caring and competent infectious disease practitioner. Now everyone go home.

• Haha
"Now however, I have access to enough independence and educational freedom that I could make shadowing and clinical volunteering my full time job. I could uppercut admissions with thousands of hours in a matter of months, that's not an issue."

That's not how medical school admissions works today. The fact that you are ignorant of the current medical admissions process shows that you are several generations too late where metrics were the only deciding criteria to getting admitted.

@LizzyM is at a top school. Would she advocate for admissions into her medical school as it stands?

See my earlier reply here: "Medicine offers a front row seat to the best and most diverse puzzles that mother nature has to offer. I can't think of something more stimulating that I haven't tried yet. Sudoku only goes so far, know what I mean? As for the volunteering and clinical experience, there has been nary enough time. I did some stroke research with a neurosurgeon back in my chemistry undergraduate days, but that's it. Now however, I have access to enough independence and educational freedom that I could make shadowing and clinical volunteering my full time job. I could uppercut admissions with thousands of hours in a matter of months, that's not an issue."

Speaking just from an intellectual standpoint: Clinical medicine is less about “solving the puzzle” and more about applying knowledge that we already know. Research is about “solving the puzzle.” You haven’t expressed any interest in MD/PhD. Why are you trying to fit yourself into a round hole, as a square peg? Is it because you’re trying to dive headfirst into a profession that you haven’t actually exposed yourself to and don’t know the basic structure of?

Reactions: 4 users
it’s silly to go back and forth. Why don’t you show us a screenshot of your consecutive scores ie, 521 521 and 528 without any id from your MCAT score site, if you know what I mean lol. If you can’t do that, then you are a troll.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Hi everyone, I am pretty sure it’s a troll doing all the entertainment here.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.