I'm a bit nervous about medical school, is this normal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tony101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am about to start school at KCU-COM and I am feeling rather nervous before I start med school. I know I am a hard worker, adapt well if I need help and I can study for hours if needed. But I have the thought in the back of my mind saying "What if it won't be enough?". I have heard horror stories of medical school of how hard it's going to be, how time consuming, etc.,etc.

Now that I am about to start, I am a bit nervous about it, I realize many people are going to say "Being nervous is normal". But is having the thoughts I am having also normal? That is thinking my studying won't be enough and I'll fail along the way? Understand this isn't like a massive amount of nervousness, but a thought that's been floating around my brain for a month or two and I just wanted to ask about it. Please let me know if other people have felt this as well or if this type of thoughts is normal entering medical school due to the difficulty. Any opinions or experiences will be quite welcome.

Cheers!

P.S Sorry if thread is in the wrong location.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm nervous too man. Stopped my previous career over 3 years ago by now to go to a career change post-bacc and i'm finally starting. I have a lot riding on succeeding, as I'm sure you do. Lets do our best

Reactions: 8 users
Everyone is nervous. You'll be great

Members don't see this ad :)
That is the normal thought. I actually went and talked to the embryo professor the 3rd day of class because I thought I made a huge mistake. Thinking back it's kinda funny now.

You will be okay

Reactions: 1 users
That is the normal thought. I actually went and talked to the embryo professor the 3rd day of class because I thought I made a huge mistake. Thinking back it's kinda funny now.

You will be okay
Phew, I thought I was by myself on that one.(Thinking maybe it won't be enough and I'll fail lol)
Thank you for that! It helps alot knowing that I'm not the only person thinking that ^.^

Hi, I am about to start school at KCU-COM and I am feeling rather nervous before I start med school. I know I am a hard worker, adapt well if I need help and I can study for hours if needed. But I have the thought in the back of my mind saying "What if it won't be enough?". I have heard horror stories of medical school of how hard it's going to be, how time consuming, etc.,etc.

Now that I am about to start, I am a bit nervous about it, I realize many people are going to say "Being nervous is normal". But is having the thoughts I am having also normal? That is thinking my studying won't be enough and I'll fail along the way? Understand this isn't like a massive amount of nervousness, but a thought that's been floating around my brain for a month or two and I just wanted to ask about it. Please let me know if other people have felt this as well or if this type of thoughts is normal entering medical school due to the difficulty. Any opinions or experiences will be quite welcome.

Cheers!

Nervousness/anxiety/stress are normal before/during/after med school...I think about 35% of my med school class took advantage of student counseling services. Physicians also have a fairly high rate of addiction/depression. You'll be fine (just take advantage of all/any support that you can)...Welcome to the club!

Your thoughts are completely normal. I was convinced I would fail out after the first test. And remained convinced I would fail out for the first 2 years. Now I'm in residency. No one can prepare you for med school. Thankfully everyone's in the same boat and you figure it out as you go. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user

Cheers!

All new endeavors are fraught with anxiety. You'll be fine.

Reactions: 9 users
Phew, I thought I was by myself on that one.(Thinking maybe it won't be enough and I'll fail lol)
Thank you for that! It helps alot knowing that I'm not the only person thinking that ^.^

Currently a 4th year at KCU and I can honestly say that a very large percentage of our class was s***ting themselves for the first month or two of classes. Even people who hit 250+ on Step 1 were freaking out that they wouldn't be good enough or that they'd be struggling just to pass. Everyone feels that way at first, but it only ends up being the reality for a very, very small percentage of students. After a few weeks-months you'll hit your groove and be fine as long as you're putting in the work.

Reactions: 4 users
Currently a 4th year at KCU and I can honestly say that a very large percentage of our class was s***ting themselves for the first month or two of classes. Even people who hit 250+ on Step 1 were freaking out that they wouldn't be good enough or that they'd be struggling just to pass. Everyone feels that way at first, but it only ends up being the reality for a very, very small percentage of students. After a few weeks-months you'll hit your groove and be fine as long as you're putting in the work.
That is very comforting to hear! I mean not that its good for everyone to be anxious, just that I'm not the only person in the school feeling like that ^.^

Right there with you! So nervous. Can't wait to get out to KC though. We got this!

Yep, same here! The thoughts come and go, but I'm sure we'll be fine once school actually starts. It's all this waiting that kills!!

Just sit down and listen to Katie Perry's 'Firework', you'll be amped and ready to go in no time! You got this!

#MakeEmGoUhUhUh

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. I can already feel my cortisol levels beginning to rise

Same here. I am excited to start, but I'm starting to get quite nervous. I think my mind has finally made the transition from not being able to believe that I actually got in somewhere to accepting that I got in and realizing what that actually means. It's nice to know I'm not the only one.

Cheers!

Depends what you mean by not good enough.

You will be good enough to pass. If your goal is plastic surgery in San Francisco, there's a very realistic possibility you won't be good enough even though you could be a child genius who wil get a 270 on step 1/2 and publish 10 papers within th next year.

I worked my a** off with the goal in mind of passing and whatever else class rank etc was icing on the cake. As long as you have something to motivate you, you won't fail. For me that was the fact that I would rather die than practice in rural America. As silly as it sounds, I'll say the people that do fail out did not have enough motivation and we're definitely the more "chill" type. There are people at the top of the class that are "chill" too but the difference is they were born with a different neural connection.

TLDR: the fact you're already this mentally ready and slightly worried about the rigors of med school is almost a statistically guaranteed sign you won't fail.

Those thoughts are incredibly normal. Think about it, you don't really know what to expect right now, as you haven't started. You'll get your own routines and be fine!

I was terrified my first day of med school.

and even more terrified my first day of residency

Just got my fall schedule today. Definitely feel the impending hell storm about to hit.

I didn't sign up. I need to make one last road trip that conflicts with the dates. :(
You?
I'll tell you all about both of them if I meet you, don't worry.

Hey I originally posted this over a year ago and I just wanted to say everything turned out great first year and is going well second year. I am working hard and the grades are showing it in medical school. Anyone who is reading this, don't worry, first year is always scary but I know everyone can make it through!

Reactions: 6 users
Hey I originally posted this over a year ago and I just wanted to say everything turned out great first year and is going well second year. I am working hard and the grades are showing it in medical school. Anyone who is reading this, don't worry, first year is always scary but I know everyone can make it through!
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::clap:

I'm nervous about the debt....

Reactions: 1 users