I'm accepted! Now what....?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scavok

Accepted!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to the University of Colorado (YaY) and was talking with a friend who was also accepted.

She mentioned applying for her intern license immediately so she could start accumulating a chunk of hours before school even starts (both of us have been techs for years and are comfortable in pharmacy). I hadn't even thought of that, is it even possible?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, so I put a call in to the Colorado BOP and just for your information (whoever may search up this thread later on), I can apply as soon as the school is willing to verify my enrollment.

So as soon as they cash my check I guess!

If you just got accepted you should party like a rock star and live it up while you still can! Wooooooooooooo!

In colorado you can get your intern license after you get your acceptance letter. Go ahead and apply! UCHSC more or less wants you to have your license when school starts anyway.

I was wondering about the intern license as well.. Do I apply for an intern license when I am settled in in Colorado (planning to move during July)? Is the intern license for Colorado only good for Colorado or can I start accumulating intern hours while I am still here in Hawaii?

I was wondering about the intern license as well.. Do I apply for an intern license when I am settled in in Colorado (planning to move during July)? Is the intern license for Colorado only good for Colorado or can I start accumulating intern hours while I am still here in Hawaii?

They are only good on a state by state basis. I think that you should be able to apply before you get to colorado. It takes a few weeks to process the application. http://www.dora.state.co.us/Pharmacy/int/INTapplication.pdf

They are only good on a state by state basis. I think that you should be able to apply before you get to colorado. It takes a few weeks to process the application. http://www.dora.state.co.us/Pharmacy/int/INTapplication.pdf

Thanks for clearing that up. I found that earlier on the Board of Pharmacy website too but wasn't sure how it worked exactly. I'll get going on the intern license once I'm officially in the Univ. of Colorado system.

The 1,500 hours seems like a lot but when I think of it as over 4 years, it doesn't seem too bad. :p

Thanks for clearing that up. I found that earlier on the Board of Pharmacy website too but wasn't sure how it worked exactly. I'll get going on the intern license once I'm officially in the Univ. of Colorado system.

The 1,500 hours seems like a lot but when I think of it as over 4 years, it doesn't seem too bad. :p

Its not bad and the bulk of it comes from your rotations. Most people work during school and have no trouble making up the difference.

In Illinois, we don't require intern hours, but a number of students head out of state. So, they tell us the total number of hours through UIC is over 800 hours.

Colorado changed their policy last summer. You have to wait until after the white coat ceremony (end of the 1st week). You can submit all your paperwork now but it will just be on hold. After the ceremony the school gives you a slip of paper saying you are enrolled in the school, and thats what the state board needs to verify enrollment. I would go ahead an submit everying as early as possible. For whatever *****ic reason, the state of Colorado has only ONE person that handles this process. Dont bother to call the lady either....even after 8 messages over a two month period, she will never ever return your calls.....EVER.

Members don't see this ad :)
Colorado changed their policy last summer. You have to wait until after the white coat ceremony (end of the 1st week). You can submit all your paperwork now but it will just be on hold. After the ceremony the school gives you a slip of paper saying you are enrolled in the school, and thats what the state board needs to verify enrollment. I would go ahead an submit everying as early as possible. For whatever *****ic reason, the state of Colorado has only ONE person that handles this process. Dont bother to call the lady either....even after 8 messages over a two month period, she will never ever return your calls.....EVER.

Hey that's good to know. I figured that the idea of simply being enrolled wouldn't be enough. That would be too simple!

Thanks for the info!

In Illinois, to be considered a pharmacy student, you must have matriculated as a P-1 into a college of pharmacy. UIC doesn't consider you to be matriculated until you have your first class.

That sucks they changed the policy. It worked out rather well with the old system. But when something already works well, government does its best to "fix" it.

That sucks they changed the policy. It worked out rather well with the old system. But when something already works well, government does its best to "fix" it.

Sounds like you work in a pharmacy or something! :smuggrin:

I've been accepted to the University of Colorado (YaY) and was talking with a friend who was also accepted.

She mentioned applying for her intern license immediately so she could start accumulating a chunk of hours before school even starts (both of us have been techs for years and are comfortable in pharmacy). I hadn't even thought of that, is it even possible?

You need to take the cardboard tube out of a roll of gift wrap, tape it to one of your eyes, tape the other eye shut, and then spend a whole day looking at the tiny light of the world at the end of that dark tube. You will have 4 years of this.

Then take the tube off and have fun until school starts.

You need to take the cardboard tube out of a roll of gift wrap, tape it to one of your eyes, tape the other eye shut, and then spend a whole day looking at the tiny light of the world at the end of that dark tube. You will have 4 years of this.

I tried your advice and it didn't work out so well...within a few minutes, I ran into a wall and gave myself a black eye!:laugh:

How do you know?

You're kind of right, though. Pharmacy is a cult and pharmacy school is the indoctrination period. In true cult fashion, the student gradually loses sight of and embraces the dysfunction. It's a kind of a voluntary (and benign) Stockholm syndrome.

I have 14 more days of school left for this semester. Once it's over, I get to put an industrial-sized toilet paper tube in front of my open eye. It's soooooo close! After this semester, it's all downhill.

Scott_JRT.jpg

this is hilarious