I'm an Idiot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pythagoras

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm on the waitlist at two different schools, and I sent updated information to one of them in a word *.doc... it included the name of the school in it saying the I was still interested in "school so-and-so."

Well, I sent the exact same email to the other school I'm on the waitlist at.. haha. im such an idiot. They are going to read that and immediately throw my app in the trash. lol. Any way to make the situation right ? or should i just ignore it ?

Members don't see this ad.

find the postman and attack him

Unless you were trying to fool both schools into thinking that each is your number one... calling them to set things right should do the trick. Just call them and say you made a mistake and sound like you're having a heartattack over the issue... if you sound pathetic enough they probably won't throw your application out.

Just my thoughts though... who knows for sure? Adcoms do wierd things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, dude that sucks. I am ALWAYS afraid I am going to do that! Hmmm...I dont know what you can do to rectify that. but you seem pretty calm about the situation so my thought is that you have other offers. IF that is the case, I'd say dont sweat it.
Anyway, sorry about your misfortune!!
Good Luck!
Spin:D

If i could attack the postman I would, but email is a killer. click send and its all she wrote.

I wasn't saying that they were my number one, so I'm not too worried about it I guess. Luckily I sent the incorrect one to the school I'm least interested in going to.

I could send another email explaining, but then that draws more attention to myself doesn't it ? can i hope that they don't notice ? hehe

Who exactly did you send it to (I assume this was an email). If you sent it to the admissions staff then I think a quick phone call or email to that person will make the 'problem' disappear. If you sent it to a Dean of Admission or something though, you may choose to still contact them (I would) but obviously its too late for it to 'disappear'.

I wouldn't worry too much at this stage - you can't change it and I'm sure you're not the first (I infact came very close to doing something very similar but realised just before I hit "send"..)

I think it might actually help you. Now both schools know that you are waitlisted at multiple schools and both may end up deciding to accept you if they are in a crunch.

Trying to look at the bright side.

boy wonder's suggestion is a good one. and even if you did send it to the dean, people at that level usually have their assistants weed through email, so he/she most likely will not be the first one to see it. I think that a polite, self-deprecating call to the office assistant might help a lot.

Hey, this is not as bad as accidently withdrawing from both schools. A friend of mine meant to send acceptance letter to one and withdraw from the other school. He withdrew from his only accpetance. A heart attack followed.

Hey, this is not as bad as accidently withdrawing from both schools. A friend of mine meant to send acceptance letter to one and withdraw from the other school. He withdrew from his only accpetance. A heart attack followed.

Originally posted by dodo2

i bet! i almost had a heart attack just reading it. was he able to fix the situation?

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll send a polite email. I have this thing about the telephone, I really dislike it. I talk on the phone like maybe once every two weeks. I like face to face conversation or email. yes, i am weird. lol