I'm an idiot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

Eraserhead

I just realized that I spelled California wrong in three of my essays, I left out the first I, how embarrasing is that? That's the problem with cutting and pasting I guess... but how did spell check miss that??

Do med school expect secondaries to be flawless, looking back over a few of them, I've found quite a few awkward phrases and spelling mistakes. Am I just being obsessive? I guess there's nothing I can do now... :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

how did you spell california?

Members don't see this ad :)
But hopefully, they'll understand since you were just a psychology major. Well, I guess they might just overlook the spelling errors since you used the SOB story in your essays. Although some of the adcom members might think you're illiterate due to the embarrassing spelling error.

I'm not even going to respond to that. Obviously you've got some issues to work out.

Is BerkeleyPremed/hightrump/squat and squeeze the same person?

Originally posted by BerkeleyPremed
Kevin....you are a blithering idiot though. But hopefully, they'll understand since you were just a psychology major. Well, I guess they might just overlook the spelling errors since you used the SOB story in your essays about being a poor, gay kid and all the hardships you had to overcome. So if you are admitted, you certainly wouldn't be admitted based on your merit. Although some of the adcom members might think you're illiterate due to the embarrassing spelling error.

I had a conversation with BerkeleyPremed via AOL IM and made the mistake of sharing personal information that he has obviously misinterpreted.

I've reported him to a moderator, posts like this should not be allowed on this forum. I'm very offended and have zero respect for this student.

Kevin:mad:

Slickness: No, I am not joking about the gay part. I showed him a link of the lab I want to work in and the link had some pictures of some of the undergraduate and graduate students working in the lab. He then called one of the undergrad researchers (a male whose name I won't divulge in this thread) "really cute"...

I retracted the "harsh" parts of the advice above because I edited the comment. I do apologize for calling DoctorKevin an "idiot"...I don't think he's quite that dumb. However, I do think that using a sob story in your application essays is quite despicable because it allows the adcoms to admit applicants on criteria other than merit (GPA, MCAT, extra-curriculars, volunteering, etc). This allows the adcom to admit an applicant who has subpar stats (like Kevin...he already posted his stats elsewhere) just because of the "personal hardships" he mentioned in his essay. Meanwhile, a student with higher statistics, in-depth extracurricular involvements, excellent essays, etc...will receive a thin envelope with a letter that starts out with, "We are sorry to inform you..." The underlying POINT of my comment above still remains. However, I do agree..it may have been too harsh.

C'mon guys, let's be friends here. No mean remarks !

Hey DrKevin, I'm with you on the stoopid typo mistateks ... I have gone over my secondaries about a zillion times and the first couple I had to just about memorize I was so obsessive about not having any dumb mistakes. It's so difficult because I WAS finding really weird mistakes that I didn't understand how got thru spell check or, what's up with that weird grammar thing? It doesn't like my long, thoughtful and intelligent sentances, but completely ignores things like: shaped me professional and personally ... :rolleyes:

In my humble opinion, these adcoms are people too, and I have seen some real doozy typos on these secondaries - or computer things where it won't take my 0 BCMP undergrad (UCincy) - all postbacc.

Take a breath, say a little prayer and then just have faith that the people who are reading these are decent, sane human beings who might have a soft spot for real people.

and god forbid that someone might point out that a guy is cute

how horrible and disgusting!

WELCOME TO THE YEAR 2003

its people like you that oppress members of the LGBTQ community, and you're the proof that involving this issue in a personal essay is warranted.

Smoke This: I won't even respond to your comment but I do respect your opinion.

DrKevin: Why should I not let the truth be told? Seeing as I know the truth (you said it yourself...well, typed* it that is)...why should other posters not know the truth about what you did to give yourself the edge over other applicants? If I knew another premed who also tried to gain an unfair edge over other applicants, I would also try to bring this out in the open as well. An example of this would be an ORM student marking URM status on the application (this has actually happened before)...

Yikes. I hope you're not in my med school class. Then again, I doubt someone with your attitude will get very far in the process. See: geldrop.

Slickness: No, I am not joking about the gay part. I showed him a link of the lab I want to work in and the link had some pictures of some of the undergraduate and graduate students working in the lab. He then called one of the undergrad researchers (a male whose name I won't divulge in this thread) "really cute"...

I retracted the "harsh" parts of the advice above because I edited the comment. I do apologize for calling DoctorKevin an "idiot"...I don't think he's quite that dumb. However, I do think that using a sob story in your application essays is quite despicable because it allows the adcoms to admit applicants on criteria other than merit (GPA, MCAT, extra-curriculars, volunteering, etc). This allows the adcom to admit an applicant who has subpar stats (like Kevin...he already posted his stats elsewhere) just because of the "personal hardships" he mentioned in his essay. Meanwhile, a student with higher statistics, in-depth extracurricular involvements, excellent essays, etc...will receive a thin envelope with a letter that starts out with, "We are sorry to inform you..." The underlying POINT of my comment above still remains. However, I do agree..it may have been too harsh.

Members don't see this ad :)
The difference is, genius, that the ORM minority student would be lying whereas I am telling the truth (which is documentable via tax returns etc.). I didn't even write much about my sexuality, but since most of my volunteer work involves working with the LGBTQ community, I did comment on that and why I was motivated to give up so much free time, etc.

How is that an unfair advantage? Obviously you're a bit paranoid/insecure/or envious about the fact that other factors besides grades, test scores, and the basic extracurricular activities are routinely taken into account during the admissions process.

I can't believe I'm talking to you instead of working on a secondary, what's the point?

I don't know what happened but I know I would be very uncomfortable if another guy said a guy looked "cute." That aside, though, berkeleypremed obviously has a range of issues..what is up with those remarks? You need to grow up.

Originally posted by Gleevec
Is BerkeleyPremed/hightrump/squat and squeeze the same person?

: Drops pants and looks in the mirror, noticing a penis:

Nope, definitely not BerkeleyPremed here.

CAN WE START A THREAD OF NAMES OF MEMBERS THAT PROVOKE OTHER MEMBERS BY MAKING OFFENSIVE, RUDE, UNSUBSTANTIATED COMMENTS?

To Gleevec: With all due respect, I really don't see what was so wrong with my comments in this thread. I agreed with another poster that my original comment in here was a little too harsh so I apologized for the remark and edited the original post. As for my attitude, I just believe that everyone should compete on a fair and equal playing field. I believe in meritocracy and I think everyone should be considered for admission based on their merit. What is so wrong with this? I'm not homophobic...I did not make any comments regarding DrKevin's sexual preference. I just disagree with him signposting that in his application and including that in his "personal hardship" bit...I'm generally a very positive person and I believe that anyone can achieve anything they want to as long as they want it bad enough. But notice the key word there...."ACHIEVE"...

As to the reasoning for my mentioning that a guy was cute, I have to listen to straight people, male and female, day after day, describe how people of the opposite sex are cute.

Its made me uncomfortable since I was 7 years old.

Does that mean that I have the right to make unsubstantiated, offensive, rude claims about people I don't even know, simply because they are attracted to the opposite sex and because that might make me slightly uncomfortable? I don't think so.

I didn't include it in my personal hardship bit.

and I didn't signpost anything. whatever that means. i'm just being me, you loser.

Okay shut up already. Nobody cares if you're gay or not. Just don't go flaunting it with other straight males by telling them that another man is cute.

DrKevin...umm...can you please illustrate how I'm a racist/sexist/homophobic bigot? I really don't recall posting anything in there that could even be misconstrued as racist, sexist, or homophobic...

Need I remind everyone that we're living in the 21st century. There's no room for prejudice in the operating room. :rolleyes:

Deez's crystal ball predicts a mod closing down this thread verrrry shortly.

DrKevin...umm...can you please illustrate how I'm a racist/sexist/homophobic bigot? I really don't recall posting anything in there that could even be misconstrued as racist, sexist, or homophobic...

BerkeleyPremed,
You obviously have no idea what the PS is for. It is exactly these "un-meritocratic" issues that are discussed in PS. If you have a problem with it, tough, its just the way it is. But if Kevin believes his sexuality is a factor in who he is, which it obviously is, why would you want him NOT to mention it. There are tons of unmeritocratic aspects to the process. The PS and interviews are subjective as such, but there is a reason adcoms put so much emphasis on them. The fact is, all stats isnt what med schools are looking for. A computer is not going to pick an entire med school class anytime soon, and I think I prefer it that way.

So cut Kevin some slack, he can write whatever he wants to in his personal statement. Maybe you should work on improving your application (and your attitude). Because ultimately Kevin won't keep you out of med school. BerkeleyPremed will keep BerkeleyPremed out of med school. So drop it, hes about 0.0001% of the premed population. If you want to go on a witchhunt, take out some of the posters who are asking about lying on their applications. At least thats completely dishonest. :rolleyes:

Why is everyone (mainly Gleevec, Deez4life, DrKevin, etc) bringing up issues that were never raised in this thread at all until DrKevin stooped to a new lower level of stupidity and said we should have a thread about how people who are racist/sexist/homophobic should not be allowed in the medical profession....I'm not racist, sexist, or homophobic...and NONE of my comments in this thread would suggest that...the issue here is someone using their sexual preference and socioeconomic status to get into medical school...

Originally posted by Gleevec
Maybe you should work on improving your application (and your attitude). Because ultimately Kevin won't keep you out of med school. BerkeleyPremed will keep BerkeleyPremed out of med school.

That and his bad case of microphallus:clap:

Whatever, I don't care anymore, you obviously don't get it, and you never will. It will be very depressing if you become a physician.

I never flaunt the fact that I'm gay, and I may have been incorrect in assuming that someone who is also male sending me IMs repeatedly on AOL is also gay, but that does not excuse his original post, or the fact that he's being completely judgemental and unreasonable.

Gleevec: "You obviously have no idea what the PS is for. It is exactly these "un-meritocratic" issues that are discussed in PS. If you have a problem with it, tough, its just the way it is. But if Kevin believes his sexuality is a factor in who he is, which it obviously is, why would you want him NOT to mention it. There are tons of unmeritocratic aspects to the process. The PS and interviews are subjective as such, but there is a reason adcoms put so much emphasis on them."

Ummm...does this explain why so many people write about their research, hospital volunteering, non-profit work, etc in their PS? Why don't they just talk about how hard it was for them growing up as a **insert race here**-American? I'm also a minority (not an underrepresented minority...my ethnicity is very overrepresented in medicine). I know many premeds from very diverse backgrounds (both racially and socioeconomically)...but on their applications...their PS talks about their involvement in their ECs, their love for the biomedical sciences, the reasons they want to become a doctor, etc. I know a guy who emigrated to the US with his parents from Vietnam at age 7. He spoke no English whatsoever and certainly had a hard time adjusting to a new culture, a new language, and being away from everything and everyone that he was used to when he was a kid in Vietnam. He learned English and studied hard all throughout high school...he graduated at the top of his class from high school and did pretty well at Berkeley in the MCB major (one of our hardest majors). He did undergrad research and he also worked for 2 non-profit organizations focusing on health-related issues for disadvantaged folks living in Oakland. He could've wrote his essay about how hard it was for him as a Vietnamese immigrant and all the racist/discrimination he faced growing up (getting made fun by other kids in school because he didn't speak a word of English and because he was physically different)...he could've turned his essay into a huge sob story about how poor he was growing up in Vietnam and how his family came to the US with very little wealth and how his parents spent their first few years working minimum wage jobs while his father was still earning his degree...instead..he wrote his essay about his experiences as a research intern and his experience working for non-profit organizations in the Bay Area...he didn't take the easy way out..he wanted to earn his admission to medical school...needless to say, he was admitted and earned every single acceptance letter he received...

"Is BerkeleyPremed/hightrump/squat and squeeze the same person?"

What the hell? I dont recall ever arguing with you (or even directing a post at you) gleevec...you made some crazy post after told a guy he was selfinsh for volunteering someone elses spot in medschool. And now you..out of nowhere...start slandering me in a thread i am not even a part of but just happened to look at....i wonder what else your saying about me in threads i havent gotten around to look at. Stop acting so nutty...

I'm a bit confused. Do you actually think adcoms choose hardships of any kind over true merits? I think my merits speak for themselves, but I had to include having been disabled for 9 years in my PS in order to explain certain areas of my application and a prolonged absence from college. I'm offended that anyone would think this is a ploy for sympathy. When in fact I am more worried about them knowing this and being considered not as strong or healthy as other applicants and therefore less desirable.

Marianne: I apologize if I have offended you in any way and it certainly was not my intention. Your situation is very very unique and cannot be applied to the vast majority of applicants who fall under the "disadvantaged" category (namely, underrepresented minorities). I do not blame you at all for including information about your disability in your application because that is pertinent information that any medical school admissions commitee should be aware of and take into consideration. I would certainly not call that a "ploy for sympathy" because I'm sure your disability has had an impact on your life (whether positive or negative...I don't know) and has affected the way you worked, studied, etc. I see nothing wrong with including it in your essay and I make no judgment regarding it. There is a huge difference here between your situation and that of the OPs... In my opinion, your application is just as legitimate as anyone else's and I wish you continued success in your academic and professional pursuits.

Marianne: I apologize if I have offended you in any way and it certainly was not my intention. Your situation is very very unique and cannot be applied to the vast majority of applicants who fall under the "disadvantaged" category (namely, underrepresented minorities). I do not blame you at all for including information about your disability in your application because that is pertinent information that any medical school admissions commitee should be aware of and take into consideration. I would certainly not call that a "ploy for sympathy" because I'm sure your disability has had an impact on your life (whether positive or negative...I don't know) and has affected the way you worked, studied, etc. I see nothing wrong with including it in your essay and I make no judgment regarding it. There is a huge difference here between your situation and that of the OPs... In my opinion, your application is just as legitimate as anyone else's and I wish you continued success in your academic and professional pursuits.

berkeleypremed...do you actually go to berkeley? you should now you can't say anything remotely non-pc and get away with it, regardless of how you feel...besides, there's nothing wrong with writing about hardships that you may have endured - makes your success that much more admirable, and i think that's why adcoms don't mind it when they get "sob" stories...i'm sure they know that there is a difference between applicants who did well in an environment conducive to studying and one who had to overcome obstacles to even make it through school, let along apply to med school. besides...you're coming across as some priveleged ORM who's getting mad that a poor ORM will have an advantage over you, namely there SOB story...

everyone keeps writing "sob" story, "SOB" story (in all CAPS). like an acronym... Son Of a B**** story. i guess that's one of those stories that ends with, "...well ain't that a son of a b****". i'd bet that adcoms love those stories. now, as for the sob stories... hmmmm... if the reader doesn't cry, is it still a sob story? what if all the readers cry, but that wasn't the intention of the writer? what if everyone cries like a SOB? of if some poor SOB is crying in the story? i dunno. need sleep.
:sleep: :sleep:

I used to like your posts when you first joined but now I guess your true color comes out. What do you have against people who had to grow up with financial hardships? If growing up dirt poor has made an impact on their lives, then I see nothing wrong with students mentioning it in their applications.

BerkeleyPremed, let me make it simple for you.

You assume that people talk about their hardships in substitution of their achievements.

why are you so simple-minded?

Let's assume that I'm an all-star player in the NBA and I could talk about all my achievements in the NBA. Fine. But what if I also tell you that I only have one leg? and maybe I'm even blind?

Understand now?

People of course have the right to talk about their hardships. So someone else with the same achievements as you but had more hardships than you will always have an edge over you.

Also, I could publish a paper using words such as chinks, *******, or using SOB in combination with "gay kid" and after offending people, I could go back and take those words out and say "I am not racist/homophobic, I was just being harsh. And see, I even took those words out."

Not only are you simple-minded, you are also shamlessly self-righteous. You are exactly the type of doctor that we need...
*sigh*

I think it's pretty silly to make such judgements about people we don't really know (aka. you'll make a horrible/great doctor because you said such and such). And, being gay in this society is not an easy thing: adapting to the way people treat you and your feelings must be a pretty substantial growing experience. It probably has made a big impact on who Kevin is and how he deals with stress, and if he wants, he should talk about it. All kinds of things contribute to who you are, and that's what you should be talking about in your PS. Also, as a heterosexual girl, I really don't understand some guys disgust to a guy thinking he is cute. If a girl thinks I'm cute, I think "hell, what a compliment!" :)

My point is: spelling California wrong on an essay due to an oversight isn't a big deal. If you want, call the schools and tell them you're sending in a revised copy if they haven't looked at your file yet. No biggie, and good luck!

I cannot believe this damn post is still open.

Going back to the ORIGINAL reason for this post, I don't think it's that big a deal to misspell something in your app. A friend of mine misspelled a word that was used over and over in her Baylor secondary. It obviously didnt make a big deal since she was accepted there. I'd do what jefras suggested and not stress over it too much. Good luck!

Posted by Kimiwadare: "You assume that people talk about their hardships in substitution of their achievements.

why are you so simple-minded?"

Why can you not get this through your thick skull? My whole point is that EVERYONE could have a hardship that could be discussed in their PS. Yes, that means even "privileged suburban" kids like myself. However, not everyone CHOOSES to discuss these hardships and not everyone marks themselves off as "disadvantaged" on the application because they know it will give them an edge. I gave a really long example above but I guess you were too illiterate to read it...or if you did read it, I guess you're too dumb to fully comprehend it. As for your idiotic analogy with the NBA basketball player who only had 1 leg...again...why is this not getting through your thick skull? Do you have ADD or another learning disability? Why don't you talk about that in your PS? I SAID that any type of phsyical disability is definitely real hardship and there is nothing wrong with any disabled person discussing their disability in their PS. That is VERY different from an undrrepresented minority checking off "disadvantaged"...or a homosexual kid checking off "disadvantaged." They CHOOSE to have these circumstances become a hardship whereas another kid might find his racial background to be a source of pride...on the same token...another kid may find his sexual preference to be a source of pride and would never consider it a "hardship." The whole POINT is that everyone can let certain circumstances from their background become a "hardship"...but not everyone chooses to do so. Others use their PS to talk about their volunteering, research, etc...I didn't even post anything remotely racist or homophobic..can you please quote me (even in my original, unedited post)...I just pointed out that he discussed being a "poor, gay kid" in his PS...how is that homophobic? Did I express any negative sentiments about his sexuality? You seriously need to take a reading comprehension course...I won't even bother refuting the rest of the drivel you spewed into this thread

Still self-righteous...

who are you to decide that disability is a hardship and other factors aren't?

Let me make it simple for you.

Assume in my PS I talked about my achievement as an ex-mayor in Germany. Fine. What if I tell you that I am a gay jew who became a mayor in Nazi Germany?

Understand now?

His hardships wouldn't give him an edge if it's not worth being given an edge. Sure you "privileged suburban" kid could talk about your "hardships" but you don't, for obvious reasons.

I agree with you that people have the personal choice whether or not to view their hardships as hardships. Then why did you have to be "harsh" to Kevin? How low can you be? It's his PERSONAL choice. DoctorKevin could make that choice if he wants to, but you just had to be "harsh" to him. Again, you are exactly the type of doctor that we need...

Why do people think you were being homophobic? Again, if you didn't comprehend my last post, you used SOB in combination with "gay kid" and "poor." Some might even say that you are a classist.

Understand now?

If you had said "Mary Jane is going to talk about her SOB story about being a woman" then people naturally would think that you are being sexist.

But no, you were only being "harsh", and you don't understand a single bit why people accused you of being homophobic. Who is the one that really needs to take a reading comprehension course?

So, I had a ****ty monday and then i noticed a meaningless, random spelling error on a Stanford application of all places, and got kind of obsessive and was just looking for some sympathy or stories about how people misspelled things and how it wasn't really important at all, as of course I knew but this is a stressful time for everyone spending thousands of dollars on applications, etc.. And, I got that support and thanks to everyone who responded to my concern. There's no more use for this thread, and I've requested to have it looked at 4 times now with no response.

Its ironic that I titled the thread, I'm an idiot, IMHO.... thanks to those with the energy to debate with a *****, I appreciate the effort and had many laughs today tinged with disappointment and doubt about the types of students I'm going to spend the rest of my 20's with.... but its all good.

Kevin

DoctorKevin,

To answer your original question:

I would heed the advice of one of the previous posters and try to submit an update with the spelling corrections if possible. I had a couple of typos in my personal statement, and when I asked someone in the admissions office about whether the typos were a big deal, I got a response along the lines of "Well..they're not going to make the difference between getting in or not, but the committee DOES notice that sort of thing, and it looks sloppy." I got in anyway, in spite of my typing difficulties.
So the moral of the story is: even though it's not the sort of thing that will keep you out of med school, you still want your application to come across as polished as possible, so correct it if you still can.

Good luck. And don't listen to the doofuses that are trying to make you feel bad.

Cheers

WF

My personal statement was fine, thank god, but going through all the secondaries I've sent in the past 2-3 weeks, I've noticed various mistakes... two spelling errors that were cut and pasted into various essays, but not noticeable really just typos... and then one other thing that bothered me is that I used the same word twice in one sentence and it was somewhat awkward...

but the question is: won't writing to the ad comm just annoy them even more and delay the processesing of my application and also draw attention to small mistakes that they might not even notice? i'm getting about a 50/50 opinion divide on whether to let it go and send new copies of the essays...

what do other people think?

Kevin

Wow, if all pre-meds at Berkeley had attitudes like you BerkeleyPremed, I am sure glad that I didnt' go to there as an undergrad. I wonder if being a "Privileged suburban" applicant can be considered a hardship, if it installed self-righteous attitudes like yours. In your case, maybe you should consider yourself disadvantaged, becuase with your attitude, it will be lucky if you get into medical school at all regardless of your fantastic stats (Assuming if you had that). Your true colors will show at the interview. You seem like a real cut-throat kind of student (like most of the UC premeds I have talked to), so you should applaud anyone who do all they can to gain an advantange. But don't b*tch and moan when you don't have the same advantages. Remember, stats and Grades aren't everything, compassion, sensitivity and heart matter just as much in being a physician. Judging from your insensitive comments, it seems that those are the qualities you lack.

Originally posted by kimiwadare
Still self-righteous...

who are you to decide that disability is a hardship and other factors aren't?

Let me make it simple for you.

Assume in my PS I talked about my achievement as an ex-mayor in Germany. Fine. What if I tell you that I am a gay jew who became a mayor in Nazi Germany?

Understand now?

His hardships wouldn't give him an edge if it's not worth being given an edge. Sure you "privileged suburban" kid could talk about your "hardships" but you don't, for obvious reasons.

I agree with you that people have the personal choice whether or not to view their hardships as hardships. Then why did you have to be "harsh" to Kevin? How low can you be? It's his PERSONAL choice. DoctorKevin could make that choice if he wants to, but you just had to be "harsh" to him. Again, you are exactly the type of doctor that we need...

Why do people think you were being homophobic? Again, if you didn't comprehend my last post, you used SOB in combination with "gay kid" and "poor." Some might even say that you are a classist.

Understand now?

If you had said "Mary Jane is going to talk about her SOB story about being a woman" then people naturally would think that you are being sexist.

But no, you were only being "harsh", and you don't understand a single bit why people accused you of being homophobic. Who is the one that really needs to take a reading comprehension course?

What the hell are you talking about? Using the phrase "sob story" (using caps make it sound like you're trying to say son of a b****...just making sure you know that) with "gay" and "poor" does NOT mean anyone is homophobic. FACT: DrKevin told me he was gay and has openly admitted it in this thread. Do I criticize him for this or make ANY OTHER REFERENCE to his sexuality at all in this thread except just stating that he told me so? NO. Why are you this dense? FACT: He also told me he was poor and he confirmed this again in this thread. Do I make ANY negative remarks about his socioeconomic status at all? Please quote me...find ONE remark I made about him being poor other than me just regurgitating what he told me and has told everyone in this thread (he said he was poor...). Again, do you just not read? I just pointed out FACTS and then explained how he used these realities in his application (again..he told me this via AIM). Never ONCE did I ever make any derisive/condescending/downright mean remarks about his sexuality or his socioeconomic status. Exactly how does this make me a "classist" or a "homophobe?" Kimiwadare...I'm actually amazed you made it out of high school. You are such a blithering idiot...but that's very appropriate given the title of this thread and the type of fecal matter that was posted in it. As for Kevin's choice to include this information in his application...he has every right to do it. No one can stop him from including whatever information he wants in it and I certainly won't. If he grew up poor and worked his way out of it...great for him! I applaud his efforts and wish him the best of luck. However, everyone has a CHOICE as to whether they let their socioeconomic status, sexuality, race, skin color, etc become a "hardship"...something can only get you down if you LET IT get you down...Your reasoning and argumentation skills are akin to those of a South American spyder monkey.

Originally posted by AZNMedGuy
Wow, if all pre-meds at Berkeley had attitudes like you BerkeleyPremed, I am sure glad that I didnt' go to there as an undergrad. I wonder if being a "Privileged suburban" applicant can be considered a hardship, if it installed self-righteous attitudes like yours. In your case, maybe you should consider yourself disadvantaged, becuase with your attitude, it will be lucky if you get into medical school at all regardless of your fantastic stats (Assuming if you had that). Your true colors will show at the interview. You seem like a real cut-throat kind of student (like most of the UC premeds I have talked to), so you should applaud anyone who do all they can to gain an advantange. But don't b*tch and moan when you don't have the same advantages. Remember, stats and Grades aren't everything, compassion, sensitivity and heart matter just as much in being a physician. Judging from your insensitive comments, it seems that those are the qualities you lack.

As for your remark about being a "privileged suburban" applicant...I see your reading comprehension skills are pretty poor...you missed the ENTIRE POINT of my post. The whole argument I constructed was built upon the fact that EVERYONE has something can be considered a "hardship" in their background...it doesn't matter whether you're rich, poor, middle-class,white, black, green, purple, etc etc. The fact that Applicant X's parents never went to college can be considered a "hardship"...the fact that Applicant Y's grandparents had to endure discrimination/racism when they arrived in America from Eastern Europe could be seen as "hardship" because Applicant Y has to carry those emotional scars with him forever and has always felt alienated among his peers because of his family's background...Applicant A, an applicant from a highly-educated, wealthy family from Darien, CT could claim "hardship" because everyone always attributed whatever success he earned (his college admission, his SAT scores, his varsity basketball trophies, etc) to the fact that his parents are rich...because as everyone knows...if your parents are rich...you have nothing to worry about! You can have private college counselors to get you into college, private tutors for the SATs, private basketball coaches to train you for varsity basketball so you can make the cut at your high school, etc etc. If your parents are wealthy...it's not possible for you to "earn" anything by yourself! Whatever you have earned, your parents bought for you! Note to the idiots: (that means you AZNMedGuy) This is sarcasm. ANYONE can claim "hardship" because practically everyone has something in their background that has hurt them emotionally, psychologically, physically, etc...this can even be stretched to include Applicant Z ..a fat kid who was always teased on the playground for being fat in elementary school! Did my point finally sink into your thick skull AZNMedGuy? ANYONE can claim "hardship" or disadvantaged status...it is the applicant's CHOICE to do so. You really must be a Rhodes Scholar...I guess they don't teach reading comprehension at UC Riverside...as for you not coming here for undergrad...are you trying to say that you actually got into Berkeley and turned it down for UCR? If you did, it was truly a brilliant decision. Best of luck to you at Medical College of Ohio. This will be my last post in this thread. The counter-arguments made by Kimiwadare and yourself were truly pathetic. This thread is a waste of time (as its title would imply). Cheers.

BerkelyPremed...

You were the one that used all CAPS for SOB in your original statement and you are right that it sounded like something derogatory. That's exactly my point..

Understand now?

Again, if you had said "Mary Jane tells a SOB story about being a woman" then people naturally would think that you are being sexist.

Instead, you said "SOB story in your essays about being a poor, gay kid" Do you see why people thought you were homohobic now?

Perhaps you should really take a reading comprehension course.

I agree with you on all you said about "personal choice." You definitely didn't adopt that attitude in your original post and let's hope you really believe in what you said. Perhaps you do, but your "harshness" had us all fooled.

Mr. "I used all CAPS on SOB but I forgot and accused somone else for doing so but I'm not homophobic I was just being harsh at someone who's making a type of personal choice that I preach so much about "

please don't embarrass yourself further

who the heck ever misspellz NEthing on they secondary? u prolly one of handful. shoulda picked a better handle too. :)

This thread seems to be now two threads, one is Kevin saying he feels like an idiot and he's tired and being obsessive (I'm right there with you guy!) and the other thread seems to be the 'lets' bash Kevin' thread.

Kevin, dude I feel your pain and in the dog days of Summer with my money almost non-existent (oh, could it be because I have already spent like, $1900 on these aplications ???) and not sure what I am going to do for a job this fall and MORE applications coming in - and why am I here in this sweltering city when I would rather be on a lake in Vermont???

Yes, I became very obsessive over the LAST LINE in my personal statement and decided that it read weird and I was going to be rejected because I sounded like a jerk ... :rolleyes:

when that happens I have to get up and physically go for a walk or go and talk to someone or SOMETHING to get my mind off of things I can't control.

I might call the admissions office and ask what they recommend in these situations; the good thing about calling is that they don't know who is on the other end of the line and you can be really honest and they don't mind. Tell them what you told us, you feel like an idiot and what do they recommend. Honesty goes along way with most people - hang in their brother!

yeah, i'm sick of this stuff already, i've spent about 3500, lol.