Im an IMG. NEED INFO PLZ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chsekar987

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im an Indian Medical Graduate. I graduated in 2010 march. Im starting writing STEPS now. Im interested in OBGYN residency. But i hear people telling me that OBGY for IMGs is not possible. IS it true? what are the chances of gettin a research or externship? I need OBGY residency. Is it possible to get it? What would be the requirements for that?
Plz help me with info.

Members don't see this ad.

Im an Indian Medical Graduate. I graduated in 2010 march. Im starting writing STEPS now. Im interested in OBGYN residency. But i hear people telling me that OBGY for IMGs is not possible. IS it true? what are the chances of gettin a research or externship? I need OBGY residency. Is it possible to get it? What would be the requirements for that?
Plz help me with info.

I don't think you got accurate information. While it might be true that the bar is set a tad higher for IMGs, such as yourself, but it is NOT true that OBGYN programs don't accept IMGs. I met quite a few IMG interviewees on the interview trail, as well as some residents. Of course, the strength of your application (esp. your board scores), interview skills, the number and caliber of places where you apply etc, etc, will all play a huge role as to whether you get in or not.

As far as research goes, yes, you can land a position...if you qualify and if know where to look. The same applies to externship. In fact, having an externship (aka "US clinical experience) is a requirement at most, if not all programs for IMGs.

Hope this helps. Good luck.