1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice

IM and Gastroenterology

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by WowMD, Aug 12, 2002.

  1. WowMD

    WowMD Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Dec 3, 2001
    Likes Received:
    Hello. I was just wondering if you could be board certified and practice BOTH IM AND Gastro at the same time.
    Is this possible, legal?
    I mean, it seems like gastroenterologists don't practice IM once they become gastroenterologists.
    Is it possible to become board certified in both and practice both if I want to? After all, I would have to be in an IM residency if I would like to go into the gastroenterology...

    Thanks in advance!
  2. Mutterkuchen

    Mutterkuchen Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

    Nov 28, 2001
    Likes Received:
    I shadow an infectious disease disease doc. He practices infectious disease treatments and he also is required to do general IM services from time to time. So yes, you can practice your subspeciality and you IM (or Peds) speciality.
  3. Winged Scapula

    Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 15+ Year Member

    Apr 9, 2000
    Likes Received:
    Attending Physician
    Yes it is possible to be BC in both IM and Gastro and practice both. Truth be told, likely most Gastroenterologists stick with that field because they find it much more interesting than general IM and because the procedures are high-paying.

    On that note, I'm moving this to General Residency Issues Forum...

Share This Page