I'm applying this year!!! First time posting here, be nice ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PREMEDitated22

"I am not even supposed to be here" - Lebron James
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello hello HELLOOOOO!

I am a black female senior at a PWI and taking the MCAT in june.

Who else out there is applying this year and is super excited? I've been waiting for this moment for 10+ years and it's crazy to think that this is that moment, this is that time and I feel good about my competitiveness (not just being URM) :).

Anybody taking the MCAT in MAY or JUNE? Anybody actually looking forward to the challenge LOL? How do you feel about it? How did you make your study schedule?

-I've been taking a kaplan class (thank GOD for scholarships!), Khan academy videos, and studying with some donated examcrackers books. It's been tough going through the semester while having this extra work though. I know it will be worth it though!

Any body from PWI's? HBCU's? Any fresh advice? Any road bumps coming your way?

I know this is a weird question, but I would like to know if there is anyone out there who grew up in a single parent home, under immense poverty, in a "not so good area" of town and made it through all those hardships to this very point in their lives, applying to medical school. I don't get as much fellowship as I would like where I go to school.

I know you all are probably vomiting from my positivity lol but lets get some positivity going in here.

p.s. forgive me for spelling and grammar

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
If I could I would LOL I've talked with several adcoms though. They pretty much told me I won't be early but I won't be late either. My application will be ready by June 1st just...not the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Take the MCAT as soon as you can. However, make sure that you are ready for it. Do lots of practice passages and practice exams! This 2015 MCAT is kind of tricky to study for since it will be brand new. Based on you timetable I would take it in May. I admire that you are very positive and have a great story to tell. I was also born and raised in a bad environment, so I understand how tough it is to reach this point. I am rooting for you! Send me a private message if you have any questions. I will be happy to help.

Don't BS your MCAT studying and apply as early as possible( only when you're ready). I'd say take the MCAT in May and apply in June. My score wasn't stellar but I applied somewhat early (June17) and have had a decent number of interviews.

As for your question- I'm a first generation college student and graduated from an HBCU. Was raised by Moms since 8 and have moved around ALOT. Idk what qualifies as "immense poverty" but I've always lived in apartments and occasionally with family members when things got rough.

This process has not been the easiest but now that I'm coming to the finish line I'm grateful for the experiences that contributed to my story. I doubt I would've had this much success without them. Stay focused and keep the positivity! Good luck! You got this!!!

Reactions: 3 users
We have a similar upbringing and background story, with regards to your MCAT I would only take the exam when your ready. Study, study, study then when you feel you have the material mastered, study some more. There is really no use in having your application in early if your mcat score will not be available in fact, it may work to your detriment. Just submit everything when your score and application is complete. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
First, you must be greek.. lol (I hardly hear non-greeks or students who didnt go to an hbcu use the the term PWI)

Taking your MCAT in June is NOT shooting yourself in the foot. I was in the same situation as you. My primary application was complete end of June and verified mid july. I took my mcat the last week of July. between my mcat and waiting for score release date, i pre-wrote secondaries. scores were then released the end of august.

I was complete at most of my schools, last week of august, first week of sept.
If you do well on your mcat and have a strong GPA, the interviews will come.

I was complete at a school November 10th and offered an interview a week later, same with another school that I was complete mid Oct. Ive been accepted at both. However, all schools are different. Rather than worrying about the mcat date, i think the most important factor in my cycle was applying broadly and strategically.

my mcat was pretty low and I considered retaking them, but I already applied to 16/17 schools so I decided to continue with the cycle and see what happened. I received 6 II to amazing schools. and pulled my application from the remainder of my 10 or so schools in Dec, when I got my first acceptance, so I might have gotten even more if i waited.
I had the hbcu dilemma also, I went to a pwi and imagined such a supportive network at an hbcu. but at the same time, I didnt want to choose a school just because it was an hbcu. I literally fellllllll in love with another school that happens to be in the same city as the hbcu that I wanted to attend is located, so I defiinitely plan on getting to know those students. I actually will be living with a dental student at said hbcu when school starts. So it kind of worked out, Im kind of getting the best of both worlds.

But anyways, if you would like to know the schools i applied to, interviewed at, list of schools that are really pushing for diversity and more minorities, my EC, my mcat, gpa, message me.
Also, I was in the same financial situation as you. MAKE SURE you apply for FAP with AAMC - it will reduce the cost of your mcat, give you free access to MSAR, and allow you to apply to 15 schools for free, and most schools will waive your secondary fee also if you qualify for FAP

edit: just noticed the 22 at the end of your name;)

I 2nd what miszfifi820 said about FAP!! It will save you soooooo much money

Hello hello HELLOOOOO!

Who else out there is applying this year and is super excited? I've been waiting for this moment for 10+ years and it's crazy to think that this is that moment, this is that time and I feel good about my competitiveness (not just being URM) :).

Anybody taking the MCAT in MAY or JUNE? Anybody actually looking forward to the challenge LOL? How do you feel about it? How did you make your study schedule?

-I've been taking a kaplan class (thank GOD for scholarships!), Khan academy videos, and studying with some donated examcrackers books. It's been tough going through the semester while having this extra work though. I know it will be worth it though!

I know this is a weird question, but I would like to know if there is anyone out there who grew up in a single parent home, under immense poverty, in a "not so good area" of town and made it through all those hardships to this very point in their lives, applying to medical school. I don't get as much fellowship as I would like where I go to school.

I know you all are probably vomiting from my positivity lol but lets get some positivity going in here.

Apply early and broadly! Good luck!

Antonio Webb, M.D.
Orthopedic Surgery Resident, Author

Similar story here too. Applying this year also! Currently taking TPR course, finishing my masters, work a full time job and a single parent!

My story is similar to yours also. I'm so excited to apply this upcoming cycle ! I wanted to take the MCAT in May but since the spots were filled I decided to take it in April so that I can retake it in July if I need to. I've been using Kaplan books and the amcas tests. I did one full length practice test and it was brutal, but it gave me a good idea of what areas I need to focus on.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you guys for all your advice! I just finished my MCAT and submitted my application the other day. I received FAP and applied broadly as possible! Nervous about what my score will be but I know I absolutely did my best. I left nothing in the tank. Say a prayer for me!

Thank you guys for all your advice! I just finished my MCAT and submitted my application the other day. I received FAP and applied broadly as possible! Nervous about what my score will be but I know I absolutely did my best. I left nothing in the tank. Say a prayer for me!

Best of luck!

Hello hello HELLOOOOO!

I'm a black med student, went through every hardship you mentioned and then some. Make sure you find mentors in med school.

First, you must be greek.. lol (I hardly hear non-greeks or students who didnt go to an hbcu use the the term PWI)

Taking your MCAT in June is NOT shooting yourself in the foot. I was in the same situation as you. My primary application was complete end of June and verified mid july. I took my mcat the last week of July. between my mcat and waiting for score release date, i pre-wrote secondaries. scores were then released the end of august.

I was complete at most of my schools, last week of august, first week of sept.
If you do well on your mcat and have a strong GPA, the interviews will come.

I was complete at a school November 10th and offered an interview a week later, same with another school that I was complete mid Oct. Ive been accepted at both. However, all schools are different. Rather than worrying about the mcat date, i think the most important factor in my cycle was applying broadly and strategically.

my mcat was pretty low and I considered retaking them, but I already applied to 16/17 schools so I decided to continue with the cycle and see what happened. I received 6 II to amazing schools. and pulled my application from the remainder of my 10 or so schools in Dec, when I got my first acceptance, so I might have gotten even more if i waited.
I had the hbcu dilemma also, I went to a pwi and imagined such a supportive network at an hbcu. but at the same time, I didnt want to choose a school just because it was an hbcu. I literally fellllllll in love with another school that happens to be in the same city as the hbcu that I wanted to attend is located, so I defiinitely plan on getting to know those students. I actually will be living with a dental student at said hbcu when school starts. So it kind of worked out, Im kind of getting the best of both worlds.

But anyways, if you would like to know the schools i applied to, interviewed at, list of schools that are really pushing for diversity and more minorities, my EC, my mcat, gpa, message me.
Also, I was in the same financial situation as you. MAKE SURE you apply for FAP with AAMC - it will reduce the cost of your mcat, give you free access to MSAR, and allow you to apply to 15 schools for free, and most schools will waive your secondary fee also if you qualify for FAP

edit: just noticed the 22 at the end of your name;)

May I pm you as well? I have a few questions in regards to picking schools and would love to know which schools are really pushing for diversity!

Not yet applying, still got a few years of sciences to take, but same story (wow, look at all of us, I'm so proud and amazed!) and just wanted to send some positive love your way. Keep on keeping on, I said a little prayer for you!