People Not Believing You're Majoring in [Insert Blank Here.]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GodIsBeautiful

ℬ.
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This semester, I was excited to be accepted into pharmacy school and my older sister, medical school. However, as she and I spoke over this break, we realized that many people who we have confided about our future professions to had surprised, confused, or condescending reactions, saying something along the lines, "I thought you were going to be a nurse, or [insert completely unrelated profession/major here]." Mainly from older people, like aunties or uncles.

Not that those majors are bad, but I think that kind of mistake is a kick in the face. If it was the first time I met you, it is fine if you make that mistake. However, some of these people have said these types of things on multiple occasions to us.

I know other people have experienced this, even outside of healthcare, so I know I'm not the Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Chosen One of this kind of situation. But how do you feel about these kinds of things? Has this happened to you?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. I get asked about "nursing school" or even asked why I don't want to be a nurse practitioner. It's annoying.

Reactions: 1 users
Aw, man. :(

I wonder why people do that. It makes me not want to tell anyone what I'm studying, because all I feel is judgement or people's condescending attitudes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Aw, man. :(

I wonder why people do that. It makes me not want to tell anyone what I'm studying, because all I feel is judgement or people's condescending attitudes.
Be proud of yourself and your accomplishments and aspirations. Of course easier said than done, but if people ask, I don't feel like you need to hide.

Be proud of yourself and your accomplishments and aspirations. Of course easier said than done, but if people ask, I don't feel like you need to hide.

I second this. Thank you for this mini-conversation!
Good luck to you in your future endeavors. ♥️

Oh, just wait until you’re the pharmacist and your sis is the doc and patients refuse to believe it, lol.

It sucks, but at some point it will no longer phase you.

Oh, just wait until you’re the pharmacist and your sis is the doc and patients refuse to believe it, lol.

It sucks, but at some point it will no longer phase you.

Right? :/ That's going to be very annoying! But I agree, you're right! At the end of the day, we're the professionals and they aren't. ;)

By the way, I love your profile picture! Rest in peace to Prince. ♥️