I'm bored. What am I supposed to do before school starts?

aileen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
NYC
    I need you guys' advice. Currently, I'm not in school, but I do know which school I'm going to this fall. I don't know what to do for the next 4-5 months before the school starts. I'm working full-time. But other than that I'm doing nothing. I'm so bored that I check my e-mails, and visit SDN every five minutes. I really need to keep working because I need the money for school, so no long vacation for me this summer.

Do you have any hobbies, book suggestions, etc. that you can recommend? I need to stop drinking...

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
    10+ Year Member
    Verified Expert
    15+ Year Member
    Feb 15, 2003
    Indianapolis
    1. Attending Physician
    2. Dentist
      Originally posted by aileen
      I need you guys' advice. Currently, I'm not in school, but I do know which school I'm going to this fall. I don't know what to do for the next 4-5 months before the school starts. I'm working full-time. But other than that I'm doing nothing. I'm so bored that I check my e-mails, and visit SDN every five minutes. I really need to keep working because I need the money for school, so no long vacation for me this summer.

Do you have any hobbies, book suggestions, etc. that you can recommend? I need to stop drinking...
      Think of something you've always wanted to do but never had time/resources/whatever, and give it a shot! Lessons, travel, anything else you can think of. Enjoy the time off while you have it. :D

blankguy

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Aug 11, 2003
      1. Dental Student
        Hiking, bicycle trips, go to the beach, etc... nice inexpensive activities. It would be nice if you could go away on a vacation trip and come back refreshed, maybe this maybe worth more than the money you spend? :confused:

About the Ads

Mangocat

7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        May 21, 2003
          Hey,
          Maybe take up painting or something you've always wanted to try but wont' have time once you start school. I highly recommend volunteering- maybe at a place where you will be interacting with other people (like the elderly or children). Maybe you can volunteer at a nursing home/hospital or tutor elementary school children. This will help pass your time and you will definitely form some great friendships and meet lots of interesting people! :)

Chewy7

7+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Dec 22, 2003
          Ontario, Canada
            I took up a new hobby last summer. I went to a hobby shop and bought a radio controlled monster truck that runs on nitromethane. (Not one of those Radio Shack cheezy toys) It's kind of an expensive hobby though. They're fun to tinker around.

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
            Removed
            15+ Year Member
            Sep 1, 2003
            Toronto, Centre of Canada
              how about getting a job? You know you can save a little for d school.

Why the hell do people always talk about working and school constantly? Are you guys all squares?? (Thats right, 50s slang is coming back)

Why would you get a job when you know you will have a steady, well-paid job for the rest of your life? Unless you work at a full time well-paying salaried job now, the money you earn means squat in the whole financial picture of dental school. Like Bill and Woodsy said, Use this time wisely and dont waste it. You'll have time for work and school during dental school.

About the Ads

cronosage

Membership Revoked
              Removed
              15+ Year Member
              Mar 30, 2004
                Originally posted by avingupta
                Why the hell do people always talk about working and school constantly? Are you guys all squares?? (Thats right, 50s slang is coming back)

See here's the thing. When you work, they pay YOU! It's an amazing concept isn't it!

Why would you get a job when you know you will have a steady, well-paid job for the rest of your life?

It's called saving for dental school. For all you gunners and tools who haven't worked a day in your lives, and have consistantly had you head in your books for four years, I feel sorry for you. I have saved over $120,000 over a four year period WORKING! I will have no debts coming out of school, and can start immediately start putting my income in a savings account :D

Unless you work at a full time well-paying salaried job now, the money you earn means squat in the whole financial picture of dental school.

For this particular person, you are probably right. But if someone can find the right job, it could certainly help them appreciate the good life even more once they have worked somewhere making little or no money. This is the kind of experience that builds character in a person.

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
                Removed
                15+ Year Member
                Sep 1, 2003
                  Avingupta,

Some of us have to pay for things like food and rent. While all of your plans are great, and I'm jealous, that's just not reasonable for everyone.

Loans...Enjoy your life now, work later on

It's called saving for dental school. For all you gunners and tools who haven't worked a day in your lives, and have consistantly had you head in your books for four years, I feel sorry for you. I have saved over $120,000 over a four year period WORKING! I will have no debts coming out of school, and can start immediately start putting my income in a savings account

Youve worked a lot at a good paying job....I explicity stated that this was the exception

For this particular person, you are probably right. But if someone can find the right job, it could certainly help them appreciate the good life even more once they have worked somewhere making little or no money. This is the kind of experience that builds character in a person.

yes, work builds character, but I can think of many other ways one can build character. Since you will be working most of your life, why not have the best of both worlds?

sxr71

7+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Sep 10, 2002
                    I agree more with the "last chance to be free" philosophy. In all honesty this is likely going to be the last time we will have relatively unburdened lives. Once in dental school we are going to professional students in that the demands on us will likely far exceed anything our undergraduate careers may have placed on us. You could argue that dental school is not as hard academically as undergrad and some people genuinely feel this way, but the stakes are much higher and that places a certain mental strain on a person.

When you're finished with dental school you have to look for a job and make choices that affect the rest of your life. At this time in addition to your career responsibilities you might wish to start a family or pursue some other activity that adds to your general stress level. It's probably not as bad as I make it out to be, but this stage is our lives is about as carefree as we will likely be for the next 15-20 years.

In all frankness making a few thousand here and there between now and August is quite an insignificant amount considering that we will see lifetime earnings in the millions of dollars. Think about the opportunity cost of your decisions.

If you still prefer to work because you like it, or your assessment differs from mine, more power to you.

Thaxil

7+ Year Member
                    15+ Year Member
                    Oct 5, 2003
                    myrtle Beach, SC
                    1. Dentist
                      Have you worked so hard in undergrad that you forgot why you enjoy? I will work; not at a job that allows me to save 120000, but one that is stress free. Also, I will try to catch-up with old friends before I move across the nation. Watch some ultimate fighting, and barbeque every week. Soak up the sun at the beach and enjoy my school free days.

aileen

7+ Year Member
                      15+ Year Member
                      Mar 17, 2004
                      NYC
                        Thank you all for your inputs.

Thaxil is right. I think I forgot how to enjoy my life. In fact, I don't remember ever taking a vacation. I do not have any debt. How did I pay for my education? By working my ass off... Now that I have all this free time, I'm confused. I feel like I'm not living my life the way I'm supposed to... working and studying... It feels strange that I don't have any more night classes after work. I'm addicted to struggling. Without the struggle, it feels wierd.

I'm going to take this July off from work and travel. Why didn't I think about that? Traveling is an excellent idea.

hockeydentist

1K Member
                        7+ Year Member
                        15+ Year Member
                        Jul 21, 2002
                        The eye of the storm
                          Thats a sport that will let you stay on the ice 24-7. From the new york area, go see a play, or heck go join a broadway play. Volunteer for the New York rangers. Take a trip across the border into Canada. Great this time of the year. Nothin ventured nothin gained is my perspective.

About the Ads

Mangocat

7+ Year Member
                          15+ Year Member
                          May 21, 2003
                            Def. travel aileen!! Go to europe or on a cruise somewhere warm and sunny........before you hit that cold weather. Or try going to somewhere more adventurous like Africa or South America

Bullfan16

Certifiable Quad Streaker
                            7+ Year Member
                            15+ Year Member
                            Jan 30, 2004
                              "Come on (E)Aileen......oh I swear what he means at this moment you mean everything.....With you in that dress my thoughts I confess verge on dirty....Ahhh Come on (E)Aileen" (Dexy's Midnight Runners)

I know, I know off subject....I couldnt resist

By the way where are you going to school?

The Musketeer

Guardian of Justice
                              10+ Year Member
                              15+ Year Member
                              Jan 24, 2004
                              Cleveland (ON, Can)
                              1. Dentist
                                rouylle said:
                                i'm new to the forum and trying to figure how it works. Anyone can help me figure out how to add a picture to my screen name?

Welcome to the fourm Rouylle! To add a picture, click on 'User CP' on the top of the screen, then click 'edit avatar' on the left (or to go there directly, PRESS THIS AVATAR LINK ). In there, are two options, use one of the numerous preset avatars by clicking on the circle of the one you like, or get your own (via internet - must provide a link, or in your computer - location of the picture). The picture/avatar must not be greater than 75x75 pixels or 19.5 KB.

ShawnOne

DDS over DMD
                                7+ Year Member
                                15+ Year Member
                                Aug 25, 2003
                                City of Angels
                                  I just purchased my airline ticket to Santander, Spain where I'll be staying for 1 whole month! I have a free apartment since my fiancee is doing school abroad. I plan on reading a "learn to speak spanish" book on the beach and traveling through Europe when she is not in school. Its my first time to Europe, so excited.

Here is a pic of El Sardinero Beach at Santander...

steenie100903.jpg

Anybody have any good suggestions on materials to teach me spanish?

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
                                  Removed
                                  15+ Year Member
                                  Sep 1, 2003
                                    ShawnOne said:
                                    Take plenty of insect repellent aving. :laugh:

No but seriously, I've researched Costa Rica before too, it's awesome! Are you gonna visit the Mayan ruins?

Well the Mayan ruins in Costa Rica are not that great....I was in Guatemala and Chiapas, Mexico last year and I saw the BIG Mayan ruins of Tikal and Palenque which would make anyone speechless....Costa Rica is more eco-tourism which is great, cause I love biodiversity. But Your right about the insect repellent....I was mauled last summer!

About the Ads
                                    This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                    7. This thread is locked.