Should I let schools know I'm valedictorian?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thechacko

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am graduating this semester and was lucky enough to be named valedictorian of my university's college of science. I included this on the academic update just barely, but I already had selected the 4 of my most important achievements when I applied back in June so I can't put valedictorian as one of them. I applied to 15 schools and have already interviewed at 8, but there are still a few schools that I haven't heard back from such as Columbia, UPenn, and UConn that I would be interested in.

I know some schools I've interviewed at have probably already made decisions on whether or not I have been accepted, but would it be worth contacting the ones I am most interested in and letting them know of this achievement?

Also, would it be a good idea to send the other schools I am most interested in and haven't heard back from a letter of intent that mentions this achievement?

For reference, these are my stats:

DAT: 23AA, 23TS, 25 PAT
GPA: 4.0
Good ECs

Members don't see this ad.

I would call it a letter of interest, letter of intent implies you would go there if accepted. You can really only send that to one school and I generally recommend sending it after interviewing, and if you’re on the waitlist. which you don’t know yet.

Letter of interest can be sent to multiple schools, this is more what you align with. However, considering you do have 8 interviews I really don’t think you need this. Your application itself is your letter of interest. if a school hasn’t sent you an invitation yet, then just let it be for now. I would wait to see where things go on December 15th and then make your game plan.

I applied to 15 schools and have already interviewed at 8, but there are still a few schools that I haven't heard back from such as Columbia, UPenn, and UConn that I would be interested in.
Congratulations!

Wait until after December 15.

We know nothing else about you and your application, but unless these other options are much cheaper, I wouldn't really fret until I knew I went 0 of 8 on interviews.

Reactions: 1 user