IM Chair Letter for prelim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ErrantWhatever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question, PM&R gang:

So it looks like the advice from threads 5+ years ago is that we should check individual program websites to see if a chair letter is necessary for prelim medicine spots. A friend of mine who matched PM&R last year suggested I go through the process of obtaining one, but a cursory glance at 6 places I'm interested in either made no mention of a chair letter or specifically said prelim's don't need one.

Just curious if any residents who recently went through the application process can share their experiences with this matter.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question, PM&R gang:

So it looks like the advice from threads 5+ years ago is that we should check individual program websites to see if a chair letter is necessary for prelim medicine spots. A friend of mine who matched PM&R last year suggested I go through the process of obtaining one, but a cursory glance at 6 places I'm interested in either made no mention of a chair letter or specifically said prelim's don't need one.

Just curious if any residents who recently went through the application process can share their experiences with this matter.

Thanks!

I went through the process of getting one last year, but of the ~20 prelim IM programs I applied to, none of them requested it. Ended up just using a letter from an IM doc since she knew me better. It wasn't a hard process at my school though so you might as well if even 1 or 2 want it.

You probably don't need a letter from a chair, but it certainly can't hurt given the stiff competition for prelim spots.

I think it's probably wise to have at least one letter come from someone in IM and/or primary care--someone who's seen your generalist medical skills and knowledge.

My biggest piece of advice for prelims is to apply broadly. As tempting as it may be to limit yourself geographically (go for it, I guess, if you have rockstar scores and such), these spots fill up and they fill fast--with competitors from derm, rads, ophtho, gas, etc., nonetheless.

I had a panic moment later in interview season when I'd only been invited to a handful of prelim interviews, and for a hot second thought I might not match to a PGY-1, and it really sucked. I got lucky and matched, but if I had to do it all over again, I would have applied to many more programs.

Thanks for the replies--I definitely appreciate the suggestions and real-life experience on what we are about to embark on.